Forums > General Industry > Don't want money?

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

I am a bit confused.  I get a lot of enquiries re tfp/cd, a lot of replies to ads to shoot tfp yet when I post paid gigs I get very few.

Do the models here prefer working for art and pictures?

Dec 05 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

gdsandy wrote:
I am a bit confused.  I get a lot of enquiries re tfp/cd, a lot of replies to ads to shoot tfp yet when I post paid gigs I get very few.

Do the models here prefer working for art and pictures?

I'm assuming by 'paid gigs' you mean that you would be getting paid. If that's the case then the answer is that they'd rather get the pics than have to pay you.

Dec 05 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

Mark Reese Photography wrote:
I'm assuming by 'paid gigs' you mean that you would be getting paid. If that's the case then the answer is that they'd rather get the pics than have to pay you.

No  that's not the case at all.  I will pay them. That is made clear in the forum notice I hope.  It must be as I did get 2 replies.

Dec 05 06 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Dec 05 06 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

The type of model I need is:

-Age around 18-25

-Very beautiful, with clean, happy looks. Good complexion.

-Expressive, not camera-shy. Good full lips, smallish breasts.

-Proportionately long limbs, though height is not important.

-Unless supplied for a commercial shoot, wardrobe is your responsibility. Please make sure it is well ironed.

-Must be comfortable with artistic nudity (though I never shoot glamour or anything tacky).

-Slim, verging on the thin, (more fashion looks than glamour).

-Intelligence.

-Very reliable.

I also asked for nudity, not that I give a hoot about nudity, but I detest intensly all this nonsense about 'levels' - for Christ sake, this is so pathetic. I just want to shoot completely unrestricted with models who trust my judgement and refinement. A model should be confident about her body, full stop! Either she likes what I do and wants to shoot with me, or forget it, but don't give me this 'levels' nonsense (it's so internet!)

When I shoot nudes

-Age around 18-25

-Expressive, not camera-shy. Good full lips, natural breasts

-Wardrobe (still a factor in some nude shoots) is your responsibility. Please make sure it is well ironed.

-No or unobtrsive tattoos or piercings

-Must be comfortable with artistic nudity (though I never shoot glamour or anything tacky).

-Slim, or well proportioned, (more fashion looks than glamour or more arty than Playboy).

-Intelligence.

-Very reliable.

from your page, sounds demanding, esp the paragraph i italisised..

Dec 05 06 08:41 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Maybe it takes the "fun" out of it for them and being paid they'll feel the pressure f them having to do what you want?  Who knows.

Dec 05 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

lotusphoto wrote:

You may have a point.  I just got fed up to the back teeth with models not fully understanding what I wanted and getting precious about "revealing" their bodies.  I would rather have someone work below his/her limits so that they and I am comfortable than have a model who thinks she may if she pushes herself fit the level I want. 

If I get more feedback like this I may reword my profile to make my expectations sound friendlier.

Dec 05 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

dup

Dec 05 06 09:34 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Depends what you're offering to do TFP wise. If it's something they could use (your port isn't the standard GWC that runs around here all the time) then they SHOULD want to trade pictures with you- especially if you're above the level they are used to shooting at.

But if you come to NYC anytime, don't worry, there are plenty of girls willing to take your money.

Dec 05 06 09:41 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I agree that the nudity clause is a bit odd...
and I'm a nude model.....
if this is editorial you have no hight requirments?

Dec 05 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

Okay, removed the nudity thing for the fashion/editorial.  Put in after a horror stroy of a shoot where the model expected me to leave the room while she adjusted her undone blouse.

Iona, I don't have a height requirement in fact I say "-Proportionately long limbs, though height is not important."

I think proportionality is key.

Thanks for the feedback though (much appreciated)

Dec 05 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

My experience has been...models with the look, height, for fashion, don't shoot nudes. ( unless it's very artistic, implied... then just maybe.   Unless you're able to  pay them agency rates- I'm certainly not.
Most models I've met who do nudework don't have a runway, fashion look. I've worked with 3 or 4 outstanding exceptions , but that's my experience.
The societal fear of nudework is so prevalent, I'm always delighted to meet anyone suitable , and go the extra mile to satisfy them with edits, prints & modest cash, to assure a continued working relationship.

Dec 05 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

I'm not asking for mannequins to shoot nude though.  just good looking well proportioned girls.

Dec 05 06 10:34 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Honestly, the long list of requirements in your bio section is rather confusing. Would it not be possible to minimize that as much as possible and simply screen each model on an individual basis, and politely decline the ones that you can't use or don't want? As a model, I might be likely to nix myself off of your list simply by reading your requirements and not thinking that I live up to them. Your judgement might be different, and thus you would have missed me because I thought from your list that I wouldn't be appropriate.

Other than that, I don't know. I can't really tell you. Since you didn't copy your casting call wording, I can't tell if maybe there is something in your call that is putting models off.

The simpler you can make it for models to contact you and inquire about your project, the more chances you'll have for getting models to respond at all. From there you can do the weeding. If you're getting none now, then doing a little weeding wouldn't hurt you I suspect.

Dec 05 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

Okay, I have toned it downa notch

"Experienced photographer.  Live in Switzerland but shoot in London, Chicago and L.A.  Had a year off, just starting back.

Usually shoot to order or for specific projects.  Happy to do occasional portfolio building if mutually beneficial..

When I shoot fashion/editorial

-Age around 16-25

-Clean, happy looks. Good complexion.

-Unless supplied for a commercial shoot, wardrobe is your responsibility.  Please make sure it is well ironed.

-Intelligence.

-Very reliable

When I shoot nudes

-Age around 18-30

-Wardrobe (still a factor in some nude shoots) is your responsibility.  Please make sure it is well ironed.

-No or unobtrusive tattoos or piercings

-Must be comfortable with artistic nudity

-Well proportioned
-Intelligence.

-Very reliable.

More work on OMP 33551 and
Net-model gdsandy
"

Dec 05 06 11:08 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

I would work with you regardless of your wording; I understood you from the beginning.

gdsandy wrote:
Okay, I have toned it downa notch

"Experienced photographer.  Live in Switzerland but shoot in London, Chicago and L.A.  Had a year off, just starting back.

Usually shoot to order or for specific projects.  Happy to do occasional portfolio building if mutually beneficial..

When I shoot fashion/editorial

-Age around 16-25

-Clean, happy looks. Good complexion.

-Unless supplied for a commercial shoot, wardrobe is your responsibility.  Please make sure it is well ironed.

-Intelligence.

-Very reliable

When I shoot nudes

-Age around 18-30

-Wardrobe (still a factor in some nude shoots) is your responsibility.  Please make sure it is well ironed.

-No or unobtrusive tattoos or piercings

-Must be comfortable with artistic nudity

-Well proportioned
-Intelligence.

-Very reliable.

Net-model gdsandy
"

Dec 05 06 11:14 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I can't speak for all of the models here (some are in it just for the money), but I tend to avoid paid work because it adds an amount of unpleasant pressure/expectation.

But also because in Seattle, paid work generally only comes in 1 of 3 flavors:

1) promotional modelling/hostessing
2) out and out pr0n
3) "glamour" for some creepy dude's "personal collection"

I don't care for those.

Dec 05 06 01:03 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

gdsandy wrote:
-Good full lips, smallish breasts.

These three physical requirements are the glitch that I see. I don't have full lips, so I would rule myself out here. Whether *you* would rule me out is different. Why limit the number of models that contact you outright? You've stated here you're having a problem with the fact that they won't respond to your casting calls, so why would you continue to place pretty strict limitations on models responding? Again, the issue I see with these limitations is that a model reading it might automatcially rule themselves out of your pool just because of their own personal impression of their body. Why risk missing an opportunity?

Dec 05 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

critiques taken on board and a complete revamp in style and tone.  please let me know what you think.

About me
Experienced photographer. Live in Switzerland but shoot in London, Chicago and L.A. Had a year off, just starting back.

Usually shoot to order or for specific projects. Happy to do occasional portfolio building if mutually beneficial..

I have a preference for outdoor editorial pictures which have a crisp and clean feel to them. I do not usually supply wardrobe. That is the responsibility of the model as I do not use stylists as it is a logistical feat getting a model MUA, myself and location organised at the same time and the stylist is just a step too far for me to attempt. If you have one and he/she is willing to do it either for their book or at low cost then great.

When shooting in studios, I hire them by the day or half day. I use MUAs who work for kit fees or reasonable rates. I shoot a mixture of crisp clean sexy fashion which tends to blend with artistic nudes in the style of maybe Bailey or Swannell.

Models I am always willing to discuss your ideas and desires when shooting. Especially if it is a collaboration tfp/cd. Although I do not accept cash for my assignments I am in all other regards professional and will treat you with courtesy but an expectation of professionalism.

Ultimately, this is a means of expression and creativity for me. It is not my full time job so I expect to enjoy the shoot. That means I want you to enjoy the shoot too. Let’s have some fun and make beautiful pictures.

Chaperones I am always amenable to chaperones attending shoots. Especially if they carry equipment and hold reflectors etc. I do not work for or hire art directors and do not expect the chaperone to act as one.

Net-model gdsandy

Web site http://www.btinternet.com don’t expect much as it is a 2 year old prototype and the web has come a long way since then. Maybe as a project over the holidays I will rewrite it.

Dec 05 06 03:22 pm Link

Model

Sinistra626

Tampa, Florida, US

I dont care if I'd get paid or not but money would be nice, I really need it for college : 0 ) Massage Therapy any photog. that help gets free massages after I go to school for it of course lol : 0 )

Dec 05 06 03:34 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Gary, terrific revamp! I think it looks much much better!

Dec 05 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
2) out and out pr0n

By "creepy" do you mean appearing like Charles Manson diving a 1972 black Chevy van with blacked out windows and a toxic aroma of Christmas Tress emulating with every left turn or a guy with a less than 10-mpxl camera?

Dec 05 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

If you have all that extra money from not doing paid shoots you can always give some to me smile  Poor starving students need to eat too sad

Dec 05 06 06:55 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:

-Age around 18-25

-Unless supplied for a commercial shoot, wardrobe is your responsibility. Please make sure it is well ironed.

-Intelligence.

-Very reliable.

I also asked for nudity, not that I give a hoot about nudity, but I detest intensly all this nonsense about 'levels' - for Christ sake, this is so pathetic. I just want to shoot completely unrestricted with models who trust my judgement and refinement. A model should be confident about her body, full stop! Either she likes what I do and wants to shoot with me, or forget it, but don't give me this 'levels' nonsense (it's so internet!)

When I shoot nudes

-Age around 18-25

-Wardrobe (still a factor in some nude shoots) is your responsibility. Please make sure it is well ironed.

-No or unobtrsive tattoos or piercings

-Slim, or well proportioned, (more fashion looks than glamour or more arty than Playboy).

-Intelligence.

-Very reliable.

yeah how come you wanna shoot me then?!

x

and Hell yeah, sure you can pay no problem!

wink

Dec 05 06 08:41 pm Link

Model

Adieu

I don't understand why. I would work with you!

Dec 05 06 08:46 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
I can't speak for all of the models here (some are in it just for the money), but I tend to avoid paid work because it adds an amount of unpleasant pressure/expectation.

But also because in Seattle, paid work generally only comes in 1 of 3 flavors:

2) out and out pr0n

I don't care for those.

Josie!
This is really depressing. Is it so bad? Really?

I guess my next question is what type of paid work comes in more exciting flavors ?

TC

Dec 05 06 11:25 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Monica Jay wrote:
I don't understand why. I would work with you!

yeah but you dont know about his perssssssssonallllllity

lol

joke Gary!
joke!!

(giz a drink)

Dec 06 06 01:38 am Link