Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Help! (: Grainy RAWS from an outstanding shoot.

Model

Emma Charlotte

Oxford, Maryland, US

Photos from last lingerie/ Boudoir/ glamour shoot came out brilliant composition wise but grainy as I don't know what.  Looked at the RAWS- same story.
Anyone up for a challenge?  (Paid, of course, but you have to look at them first). 

Thank you!

~Emma Char.

Jun 06 16 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

So was this shot with available light with no strobes? Was it a low light situation to begin with.  If the photographer was pushing the ISO beyond 2000 you going to get grainy and soft results.  You can get rid of the noise but it may also lack sharpness.

What has the photographer done with HIS images, that is unless you paid the photographer. was it a trade shoot?

I only say this because in the 70's grain was good and often sought after in low light situations. So I suggest you work with the grain to see what may result. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I am very interested to hear what the pros think.

Jun 06 16 12:40 pm Link

Model

Emma Charlotte

Oxford, Maryland, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
So was this shot with available light with no strobes? Was it a low light situation to begin with.  If the photographer was pushing the ISO beyond 2000 you going to get grainy and soft results.  You can get rid of the noise but it may also lack sharpness.

What has the photographer done with HIS images, that is unless you paid the photographer. was it a trade shoot?

I only say this because in the 70's grain was good and often sought after in low light situations. So I suggest you work with the grain to see what may result. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I am very interested to hear what the pros think.

Trick question.  We shot indoors and the light was VERY low.  He did what he could.  No, we always work together and never pay each other.  I could send you the raws and you can see for yourself?
Email address please?

Jun 06 16 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Can you post one of the images, so we can see what kind of problem we're dealing with? (Also will allow us to the see the camera settings in the metadata). Is it blurred. or just grain? Grain can be removed, but often, as mentioned, especially if it's quite pronounced, it will create a lack of sharpness too, which can be dealt with, but it's a fine line. smile

Jun 06 16 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

High iso on a D300 and so-so lens. Image isn't sharp on eyes, though fabric is sharp in body suit in spots. Looks to be salvageable with some careful noise removal on the two window raws. the orange background jpegs are more problematic - they are actually pretty soft. flare and some obvious camera/subject movement (1/30th-1/20th sec at f4) with the high iso noise.

Filename - DSC_0204.NEF
Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D300
DateTimeOriginal - 2016:06:04 06:47:37
ExposureTime - 1/125 seconds
FNumber - 7.10
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 1600
DateTimeDigitized - 2016:06:04 06:47:37
MaxApertureValue - F 5.28
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Fine weather
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 55.00 mm
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Manual
DigitalZoomRatio - 1 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 82 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - High gain up
Sharpness - Hard
Data version - 0120 (808530480)
ISO Setting - 1600
Image Quality - RAW
White Balance - SUNNY
Focus Mode - AF-C
Flash Setting - NORMAL
ISO 2 - 1600
Colorspace - sRGB
ISO 3 - 1600
ISO Expansion - Off
Lens type - G VR
Lens - 16.00
Flash Used - Not fired
Shooting Mode - 65536
Contrast Curve - I0
Noise Reduction - OFF
Lens info - 0203

Jun 06 16 01:58 pm Link

Model

Emma Charlotte

Oxford, Maryland, US

DespayreFX wrote:
Can you post one of the images, so we can see what kind of problem we're dealing with? (Also will allow us to the see the camera settings in the metadata). Is it blurred. or just grain? Grain can be removed, but often, as mentioned, especially if it's quite pronounced, it will create a lack of sharpness too, which can be dealt with, but it's a fine line. smile

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160604/14/5753477351ce3.jpg

Jun 06 16 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

HBnds

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

That looks very soft. Not terrible, but there is not a lot of detail...
Why not reshoot it in better lighting?

Jun 06 16 02:20 pm Link

Model

Emma Charlotte

Oxford, Maryland, US

HHonor wrote:
That looks very soft. Not terrible, but there is not a lot of detail...
Why not reshoot it in better lighting?

Working on it.

Jun 06 16 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

I'm not sure the grain is that bad, but I'm only going by the size image you posted, and I don't think grain is a big problem for that image in general, gives it a "country feel", but I think more of a problem is the soft focus. Typically in a shot like this, you'd want those eyes tack-sharp, or darn close, If I was going through my shots after a shoot, this one would not make it to the editing stage,

Having said all that, yes, the grain can be removed from that without losing too much detail, as long as the grain isn't a lot more visible in the original image.

Jun 06 16 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

DespayreFX wrote:
I'm not sure the grain is that bad, but I'm only going by the size image you posted, and I don't think grain is a big problem for that image in general, gives it a "country feel", but I think more of a problem is the soft focus. Typically in a shot like this, you'd want those eyes tack-sharp, or darn close, If I was going through my shots after a shoot, this one would not make it to the editing stage,

Having said all that, yes, the grain can be removed from that without losing too much detail, as long as the grain isn't a lot more visible in the original image.

+1

The image posted is very small (< 2x3" at 300 dpi)  I don't see objectionable grain at this size at all.

It's a very low contrast image.  And it doesn't look like vibrance has been enhanced.

1600 is not all that high ISO for a Nikon Sensor.

Jun 06 16 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

Light and Lens Studio wrote:
The image posted is very small (< 2x3" at 300 ppi)

Light and Lens Studio wrote:
1600 is not all that high ISO for a Nikon Sensor.

The camera used was a D300, ISO 1600 is high for that sensor. My D200 was, to my eyes, unusable for quality above ISO 400.

Reduce the ISO by using a wider aperture and use a tripod. Whilst the tripod will not counteract subject movement it will help limit camera movement.

Jun 06 16 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

the model's post was reduced size from the full frame. here are the 100% samples from images:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160606/23/5756653f1ddf4.jpg
1/125th sec @ 1600 iso

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160606/23/57566548bb7a6.jpg
1/30th sec @1600

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160606/23/5756655291b81.jpg
1/20th sec @ 1600

Jun 06 16 11:15 pm Link

Model

Sofia Zeta

New York, New York, US

Bright daylight outside one could easily go with lower iso, grain is not the only problem, the sample images are out of focus too... there's nothing edit can fix here. Better do the shoot again.

Jun 07 16 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I think the images have had the grain reduced by noise adjustment so much that the image became so soft.

OP  Please send me a raw unedited image I would love to play with it. 

[email protected]

Jun 08 16 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
the model's post was reduced size from the full frame. here are the 100% samples from images:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160606/23/5756653f1ddf4.jpg
1/125th sec @ 1600 iso

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160606/23/57566548bb7a6.jpg
1/30th sec @1600

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160606/23/5756655291b81.jpg
1/20th sec @ 1600

You need to reshoot this, focus like that isn't really worth salvaging.

Jun 08 16 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

I have a process for these from when I was developing my workflow

No idea if I can quote anything realistic, there is a reason that I don't make a living in the retoucher's forum

I'll send you a PM

Jun 09 16 01:30 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Emma Charlotte wrote:
Photos from last lingerie/ Boudoir/ glamour shoot came out brilliant composition wise but grainy as I don't know what.  Looked at the RAWS- same story.
Anyone up for a challenge?  (Paid, of course, but you have to look at them first). 

Thank you!

~Emma Char.

Noise = lack of clean image data, in technical terms. It is a texture added by the camera over the main texture of the actual image. The only way to remove noise is filtering and as all filtering it is a destructive process as it always affects the underlying texture too.

If the images shown in a previous post are the ones you are trying to save, then you have no chance to recover anything. Better leave the noise as is to avoid plastic filtered look.

Jun 09 16 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

It's not grain, it's noise, an aesthetical  (and functional) difference wink....

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com

Jun 09 16 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Newcomb Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
High iso on a D300 and so-so lens. Image isn't sharp on eyes, though fabric is sharp in body suit in spots. Looks to be salvageable with some careful noise removal on the two window raws. the orange background jpegs are more problematic - they are actually pretty soft. flare and some obvious camera/subject movement (1/30th-1/20th sec at f4) with the high iso noise.

Filename - DSC_0204.NEF
Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D300
ExposureTime - 1/125 seconds
FNumber - 7.10
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 1600
DateTimeDigitized - 2016:06:04 06:47:37
MaxApertureValue - F 5.28
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Fine weather
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 55.00 mm
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Manual
DigitalZoomRatio - 1 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 82 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - High gain up
Sharpness - Hard
Data version - 0120 (808530480)
ISO Setting - 1600
Image Quality - RAW
White Balance - SUNNY
Focus Mode - AF-C
Flash Setting - NORMAL
ISO 2 - 1600
Colorspace - sRGB
ISO 3 - 1600
ISO Expansion - Off
Lens type - G VR
Lens - 16.00
Flash Used - Not fired
Shooting Mode - 65536
Contrast Curve - I0
Noise Reduction - OFF
Lens info - 0203

Agreed, with lens and ISO ratings for a older Nikon D300. 

- The lens appears to be a consumer grade zoom (18-55 f/3.5 to 5.6G) at what appears to have been its focal limit 55mm, gleaned from the fact that maximum aperture is 5.28), thus, its going to be soft.

- This 2007 era D300 camera should not go above ISO 800 if you want semi-clean images and 1,600 is crazy.  I had the Nikon D200 and its usable was about ISO 400. 

- I'll also point out that the Focus was set to AF-C, which is a nightmare for a static model shoot.  The camera/lens will continuously hunt for focus resulting in many "soft" shots.  To complicate matter, the shots are all back lit.

- Finally, with a crop sensor (1.5), handheld shutter speed should be 1/200 second at 55mm (equiv of 82mm).  Its a VR lens, but unsure whether handshake was within VR capability ... doesn't look like it.

Jun 09 16 12:01 pm Link

Retoucher

janedigital

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hi Emma!

Part of the issue here is the camera you're shooting with–the D300 isn't up the job shooting with this low of a light.

My Canon 5D MIII does very well at 1600. My D200 was terrible, but I embraced whatever it gave me. I made the painful switch from Nikon to Canon because of the low light capabilities.

Of course, things have changed recently, I know pros who are switching from Canon back to Nikon with new developments in the technology. The D300 is pretty old technology in terms of the digital age...is it possible to rent or borrow a newer camera and do a test? There are many, many videos on youtube with side by side comparisions, especially for low light/iso. You can start there.

Otherwise, I would say, figure out how to make it work for you, if you really want to use these images. This may be a happy accident. Photography, especially these days, doesn't have to be super technically perfect. It just has to hit a cord.

Hope that helps!

Jane

Jun 09 16 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

2Life Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Herman van Gestel wrote:
It's not grain, it's noise, an aesthetical  (and functional) difference wink....

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com

+1.

I might add, there's also a technical difference.  Noise is electronic.  Grain is film.  Grain is good.  Noise, not so much.

Jun 09 16 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

flashart

Puyallup, Washington, US

try turning sharpness level off of hard next you shoot , set iso back to 400

Jun 15 16 09:14 pm Link