Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How to achieve this warmth tone.

Photographer

ryandjagustin

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Does anyone know how to achieve this kind of warm tone? You can comment here as many techniques as you can. Thank you in advance.
https://i67.tinypic.com/2ef5g0p.jpg
https://i67.tinypic.com/9fs7ky.jpg
https://i65.tinypic.com/1zecjrn.jpg
https://i63.tinypic.com/5yd8wl.jpg
https://i65.tinypic.com/33v0y1g.jpg
https://i63.tinypic.com/dny1kl.jpg

May 29 16 08:29 am Link

Retoucher

Thach of FotoHouse

Seattle, Washington, US

Do you have an image that you would like to match this warmth?  It will also be contingent on your specific image, as the values may be different.  If different, you will have to match the values as you color grade to get close.

One method you can try is:

> Create an solid fill adjustment layer and put it on "Vivid Light"
> Lower the opacity to around 30% or less (adjust accordingly to your image)
> Choose a warm hue, yellow-orange (as you move more left on the color dialog, the less intensity of the color (desaturated), as you move up higher, the more it will affect the whole image, and the move you go closer to the darks, it'll affect mostly midtones or just the highlights.
> If you want the white highlights to be more white, just don't go all the way to the right (100% full saturation), as it can make the white yellow.  **you can bring it back to white with a luminosity mask technique though**

This will allow you to target the warmth you want. Burning in that warmth, since it does affect the values as well. If you are still confused, let me know.

May 29 16 09:02 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Interesting idea by Thach of FotoHouse.

I had to try it out with one of the fairest skin models I've shot with to test it on.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160529/10/574b2d3de1301.jpg

However, instead of Vivid, I used Linear Burn in PS.

I set the Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color to RGB values of 228, 162, 124 respectively (Sampled RGB off your images arm in one photo.), set that layer to Opacity = 30%, and then washed the layer of the excess color that was not skin to do the above image.

There is also the Sun Tan brush tool in PaintShop Pro, and you can also use Portraiture and its Warmth slider to add more skin color saturation as it targets just that.  Topaz Restyle has some Portrait setting where you can come up with some very dark or odd skin colors, and dial them back in Luminosity, Saturation, or Hue also.

Many ways of getting there.

May 29 16 11:03 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Actually yellow tones are cold, not warm (2000K is more yellow than 10000K). Also these images don't use identical look.

If you want to increase the yellow in your photos there are many ways to do it - curves, selective color etc. All you need is to identify what needs to be changed, e.g. the green of the cactus obviously contains more yellow and less blue than natural color. And looking at different other colors you can proceed accordingly.

Don't look for "howto" recipes but learn to understand what you see. Looking at the basics of color theory is a good start.

May 29 16 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

anchev wrote:
Actually yellow tones are cold, not warm (2000K is more yellow than 10000K). Also these images don't use identical look.

Yes, but nobody uses 'warm' and cold' that way to describe color. Psychologically blue is cold and red is warm, regardless of their black body radiation curves.

May 29 16 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

first, those are all full sunlight shots. not shade, not skylight....

i just increase the wb color temperature by 200-400 kelvin setting and call it good. or may use the gold colored reflector fabric. (that's for the first cover image and the last two images), you can see it in the "whites". you can also do the same thing by using "skylight" (cloud) setting while working in daylight (sun).

the others are actually more slightly desaturated redish skin, that mostly come in post.

this is vanessa shot at cloudy setting
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080325/22/47e9b164423d8.jpg

May 29 16 08:42 pm Link

Retoucher

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

Yes, but nobody uses 'warm' and cold' that way to describe color. Psychologically blue is cold and red is warm, regardless of their black body radiation curves.

Of course. But when discussing photographic looks it clarifies that one can shift the white balance to lower kelvins.

May 29 16 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

anchev wrote:
Of course. But when discussing photographic looks it clarifies that one can shift the white balance to lower kelvins.

this is only confusing the issue for a newbie who may not understand the kelvin scale and the implications. everything has to be used in context. just as "larger aperture" can mean a wider opening (lower f-stops) or higher f-number (smaller opening). you shift the white balance to higher K (+) so the camera compensates and makes the image warmer. you shift the wb to lower K (-) so the camera compensates to make the image look colder. the discussion is about the final results and a warmer look.

we all know that the color of the light goes to infrared (red) at lower kelvins and ultraviolet (blue) at higher kelvins - but that is not the way it is used in a camera wb, it's affects the image in exactly the opposite way. adding the translations from filipino and bulgarian to the english language makes it harder.

May 29 16 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

anchev wrote:

Actually no - you have things upside down. Lower color temperature numbers are warmer, higher numbers are cooler.

May 30 16 02:32 pm Link

Retoucher

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:

Actually no - you have things upside down. Lower color temperature numbers are warmer, higher numbers are cooler.

Me or Adobe?

https://www.canon5dtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/color-temperature.gif

https://snag.gy/aM94Fl.jpg

I am talking about temperature from viewpoint of physics. Unless anyone claims his backyard fireplace is warmer than a blue giant star. smile

May 30 16 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

anchev wrote:

Me or Adobe?

I am talking about temperature from viewpoint of physics. Unless anyone claims his backyard fireplace is warmer than a blue giant star. smile

What point is talking about things from a physics standpoint? You're just confusing the issue.

Everyone in visual arts thinks of Reds, Yellows and Oranges as "warm" colors and Greens and Blues as "cool" tones.

Anything else is pointless to this discussion.

May 30 16 03:17 pm Link

Retoucher

Peter Claver wrote:
What point is talking about things from a physics standpoint? You're just confusing the issue.

Everyone in visual arts thinks of Reds, Yellows and Oranges as "warm" colors and Greens and Blues as "cool" tones.

Anything else is pointless to this discussion.

Guys... I don't know what you want from me, really. I already gave my answer to the OP. Ever since then lots of people seem to be focused on dissecting my words rather than helping with the actual question. I agree - it is pointless. If you think zero kelvin is the hottest thing in the universe just because you are in visual arts - I really don't mind.

Nothing more to say about all this.

May 30 16 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

anchev wrote:
Guys... I don't know what you want from me, really. I already gave my answer to the OP. Ever since then lots of people seem to be focused on dissecting my words rather than helping with the actual question. I agree - it is pointless. If you think zero kelvin is the hottest thing in the universe just because you are in visual arts - I really don't mind.

It's not about thinking lower kelvin is hotter than higher kelvin. Nobody thinks that.

It's about the years ago established convention in the art world that red is a warm color and blue is a cool one.  That's it.

May 30 16 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

anchev wrote:

yes it is. the light from back yard fire is more toward the infrared, with longer wavelength - and thus produces warmer light than the blue giant start - which produces light more toward the ultraviolet, which is a colder light.

so yes, the back yard fire makes a warmer light than the cold blue light of the hotter star. even your chart shows that and any idiot can tell you that.

May 31 16 02:11 am Link

Retoucher

Thach of FotoHouse

Seattle, Washington, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
yes it is. the light from back yard fire is more toward the infrared, with longer wavelength - and thus produces warmer light than the blue giant start - which produces light more toward the ultraviolet, which is a colder light.

so yes, the back yard fire makes a warmer light than the cold blue light of the hotter star. even your chart shows that and any idiot can tell you that.

lol I think Anchev is trying to joke with the relation how blue/white flames is hotter than a red flame in actual temperature (Celsius/Fahrenheit), I think this would make more sense with his comment haha.

But anyhow, the image is perceived as a warm feeling.  You wouldn't color grade the image and bring mood by calling that to be on the cool side. Heck, images can look warm with a green cast in it as well. Let's just help the poor OP big_smile no need to get technical.

May 31 16 08:07 am Link

Retoucher

Thach of FotoHouse

Seattle, Washington, US

GRMACK wrote:
Interesting idea by Thach of FotoHouse.

I had to try it out with one of the fairest skin models I've shot with to test it on.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160529/10/574b2d3de1301.jpg

However, instead of Vivid, I used Linear Burn in PS.

I set the Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color to RGB values of 228, 162, 124 respectively (Sampled RGB off your images arm in one photo.), set that layer to Opacity = 30%, and then washed the layer of the excess color that was not skin to do the above image.

There is also the Sun Tan brush tool in PaintShop Pro, and you can also use Portraiture and its Warmth slider to add more skin color saturation as it targets just that.  Topaz Restyle has some Portrait setting where you can come up with some very dark or odd skin colors, and dial them back in Luminosity, Saturation, or Hue also.

Many ways of getting there.

I can be done inside a gradient map adjustment layer as well if you want more control of your color ramp such as orange transitioning to yellow or any colors you want and use 50% gray if you want to omit a color somewhere on the ramp such as midtones, highlights, etc. Yes, there's many many ways.  It's all about knowing what you want to target and using the tools you have to get you there.  Every image is different and you have to get the values you need before you can get the exact color you want.  If you're images are more washed out and light, you're going to have more tinted/pastel colors vs a darker image with rich opulent colors. This is just general info for the OP.

May 31 16 08:16 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

anchev wrote:

Talking non sense again??

May 31 16 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

First, the images appear to be shot with fairly "contrasty" natural lighting... look at the shadows on the walls.
But honestly, images 1, 3, 4, and 6 look like a fairly straightforward photo filter could have been applied to a layer (or a few), then perhaps playing with contrast, layer options (Luminosity, or Lighter, or... ???), and opacity. Maybe a specific color picker, something more selective than just "Warming Filter 81" or "Sepia", but still I am not seeing a lot of complexity to the warm goldish/yellow tones that permeate the entire image...including the otherwise white background.

May 31 16 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

anchev wrote:

Me or Adobe?

Your confusing the color temperature being warmer at lower values and cooler at higher values, with how you move the adobe slider to adjust it. The slider is reversed. you're not changing the color temperature directly with the slider, you're telling the software that it was shot at the new value. So, it's the reverse.

May 31 16 10:54 pm Link

Retoucher

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Your confusing the color temperature being warmer at lower values and cooler at higher values, with how you move the adobe slider to adjust it. The slider is reversed. you're not changing the color temperature directly with the slider, you're telling the software that it was shot at the new value. So, it's the reverse.

I am not confusing anything. Read carefully my first post:

anchev wrote:
Actually yellow tones are cold, not warm (2000K is more yellow than 10000K).

Does it mention white balance? - No.
Does it mention ACR or any sliders? - No.
Did I use the terms warm or cold when describing how to proceed with the look? - No. I talked about yellow.
Did I clarify additionally that I am talking from the pov of physics? - Yes.

And of course - ACR's scale is reversed and aimed to compensate. I even showed that with a screenshot. It can't be more clear.

The only confusion comes from those who tried to translate my words into something I never said.

Jun 01 16 02:46 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

anchev wrote:
The only confusion comes from those who tried to translate my words into something I never said.

No. The only confusion comes from "talking from the pov of physics" to say which color is warm and which color is cool.

Jun 01 16 10:04 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

https://www.colourbox.com/preview/2881409-blacksmith-forges-a-red-hot-iron-in-the-forge.jpg

"Red hot" is the last color of a  glowing thing just before it dies. It is the first color of something just becoming hot enough to glow. Red hot is much cooler than blue-white hot.

Nevertheless, pretty much no one in creative circles is going to call red a "cool" color.

Jun 01 16 10:07 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

OP I would probably try to introduce reds into the mid tones.

Jun 01 16 10:14 am Link

Retoucher

No. The only confusion comes from "talking from the pov of physics" to say which color is warm and which color is cool.

It's called freedom of speech. I am free to express any pov the way I want to. And trying to conflict or criticize another forum user all the time instead of staying on topic is called trolling.

I am not going to reply to that any more.

Jun 01 16 10:57 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

anchev wrote:
It's called freedom of speech. I am free to express any pov the way I want to. And trying to conflict or criticize another forum user all the time instead of staying on topic is called trolling.

What you don't seem to realised is that you are over complicating things and confusing people and to be honest that shows to me and others in this group the lack of knowledge you have!! That's not trolling so stop pretending that you are always right and learn something from others! :-)

Jun 01 16 11:07 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

anchev wrote:

"All the time?"

I'm almost never here anymore.

Jun 01 16 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Evens Leandre

Frisco, Texas, US

So, How do I get that skin tone again? I'm sorry I'm lost and confused. was this OP question answered???

Jun 01 16 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Evens Leandre wrote:
So, How do I get that skin tone again? I'm sorry I'm lost and confused. was this OP question answered???

Go into the Camera Raw filter and slightly increase orange saturation and slightly lower orange luminosity.

Jun 01 16 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I'm just going to invent my own scale. Warm to cool will now be called, "Supernova to The Fonz".

Jun 03 16 06:13 am Link