Forums > Newbie Forum > Friend Requests - What Are They Even For?

Model

Incandescent Joy

Carmarthen, Wales, United Kingdom

I don't understand why I'm getting friend requests from people without any prior contact, in most cases from people who have wildly different styles and/or are on the other side of the planet from me. I sent a handful to people I know already when I joined... but do friend requests have a specific meaning here on MM that I'm missing? I did see one profile that stated if you friend request them or accept their request they take it as meaning that you would like to shoot with them TF? I think I'd prefer to keep my friends on here limited to people I'm likely to work with or have already done so, but are there some benefits I'm not aware of to adding dozens of strangers in addition to those people?

May 21 16 04:49 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

The one who dies with the most friends wins!

Many view it as networking but like You I keep My friends list limited to those I have an interest in and realistic possibility of working with, there is one exception to that rule but I do 'know' them from prior interactions over the past several years via the web.

May 21 16 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Incandescent Joy wrote:
I think I'd prefer to keep my friends on here limited to people I'm likely to work with or have already done so, but are there some benefits I'm not aware of to adding dozens of strangers in addition to those people?

No.

May 21 16 07:22 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Yeah, why would anyone ever want to connect with new people? When I go to a party and someone says Hi, I punch them in the nose and yell "STRANGERS ARE ICKY!"

May 21 16 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

BTHPhoto wrote:
Yeah, why would anyone ever want to connect with new people? When I go to a party and someone says Hi, I punch them in the nose and yell "STRANGERS ARE ICKY!"

LMAO 😅😅

May 21 16 08:01 am Link

Photographer

linelightcolor

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

In my experience most of the ones on the other side of the world are retouchers who want me to look at their profile and send them business.

May 21 16 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Friends request are not limited to the people you can shoot with, many times it's about the people you would like to shoot with.  Sometimes it's not about a shoot, sometimes it's about you liking a vibe on a profile, or you are just rooting for someone to succeed at doing something they love. In many ways It would be like following on other social media sites. I also think that it is kind of a challenge to get yourself exposed to potential collaborators if people don't know you exist.

Have you ever put something on a wish list?  Sometimes friends request are like wishes. Remember Model Mayhem is a community, and in your own community you have various levels of friendships that start with neighbors, casual friends and your besties.

PS.... I sent you a friend's request. : )

May 21 16 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello & Welcome to MM. smile

May 21 16 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Elm Diaz

Los Angeles, California, US

Welcome to a community....

May 21 16 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Incandescent Joy wrote:
I think I'd prefer to keep my friends on here limited to people I'm likely to work with or have already done so, but are there some benefits I'm not aware of to adding dozens of strangers in addition to those people?

I see linkedin that way. Also used to see facebook the same way as linkedin. . I think there's a hierarchy for how it's generally accepted on each social network..adding randos.

From conservative adding to liberal i'd say it goes like this:  Linkedin, Facebook, instagram, twitter, tumblr, flickr, , etc... and then MM is wayy -----------> over there.

But yeah I've grown more liberal in who i accept on facebook lately too, mostly because I took the time to design my own filters and lists so I can post one update to one group of following vs the other. I mostly accept everyone on facebook now. Aside from those weird promotional "agent" sluggos with their oakley glasses and MMA posters.. that's another topic.

I sent you a request because I liked the word "Incandescent" .. kind of reminds me I need to change the bulb in the bathroom mirror.. haven't viewed your profile, portfolio, or seen your website. So yeah, tldr; it really means nothing

May 21 16 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

StevenK

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I see friends as an easier way to find people, sometimes people I really want to work with in the future or just people I admire their work and want to see what they do down the line.  I also love to travel, so sometimes I have added people with the hopes of traveling to that place someday and shooting with them locally (although this is admittedly more often a pipe dream than a reality). 

I try not to friend too many people though, I rarely do it for the purposes of general networking (besides direct potential collaborations).

May 22 16 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Tommy Got the Shot

Fishkill, New York, US

Within reason. I like to travel and might like to shoot a Model while I'm in Hawaii but would send a message as well. It seems like a way to bookmark people as well but I think there are lists for that. I need to figure all that out myself.

May 24 16 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

DAVISICON

San Antonio, Texas, US

Love the Arts wrote:
Friends request are not limited to the people you can shoot with, many times it's about the people you would like to shoot with.  Sometimes it's not about a shoot, sometimes it's about you liking a vibe on a profile, or you are just rooting for someone to succeed at doing something they love. In many ways It would be like following on other social media sites. I also think that it is kind of a challenge to get yourself exposed to potential collaborators if people don't know you exist.

Have you ever put something on a wish list?  Sometimes friends request are like wishes. Remember Model Mayhem is a community, and in your own community you have various levels of friendships that start with neighbors, casual friends and your besties.

PS.... I sent you a friend's request. : )

+1   the only ones I occasionally deny are traveling models or models, I know I wouldn't shoot  or profiles I don't like or most retouchers. Most others are ok with me, I usually use it as a reminder of people that I would like to shoot, have a nice look, or have potential, etc. I rarely make a friend request, but I receive lots of them for which I'm grateful.................W

May 25 16 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Juicylicious

Orlando, Florida, US

People on MM add friends like they are competing for popularity. I have over 550 friend requests now that I don't even have time to respond. Over 150 of them from so call retouchers that I don't care much about.

May 25 16 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

Welcome to the Mayhem hienvy

If you get a friend request from someone you don't want to be friends with, just ignore it. I personally never reject any friend request just in case the requester becomes famous. I mostly send requests to models within my state or within reasonable driving distance. Occasionally, I make an exception. My goal is 700 friends, and I have 10 more to go.

It is not a bad thing to get a friend request. It is your choice how to manage friends. Some want as many as possible, and others restrict to only those they would work with. It is up to you. People take themselves too seriously about these things some times.

I am sending a FR because you are so awesome. Manage it any way you want.

New Model Info

May 25 16 10:57 pm Link