Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Saving images for print/web

Photographer

Sophie A Photographer

Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom

Hi all,

Just asking a quick question about something that's not really in my comfort zone. Recently I have retouched some images for a client, and they have gave me a few brief instructions on the how the images want saving.

They have specified they want the images to be provided "web ready and print ready (native size/full pixels- no interpolation)"

I wouldn't say I'm particularly confident with images fit for print etc as this isn't my fortay. My understanding is that no interpolation means don't add extra pixels (or make the image any bigger)- is this correct? Native sizing to me, means keep the size and only change the resolution. My understanding of resolution has always been 72ppi for web and 300ppi for print, although some images also require 300ppi for web.

Just wanted a bit of advice from you lovely people that know what they're talking about!

Thanks,

May 15 16 06:32 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Sophie A Photographer wrote:
My understanding of resolution has always been 72ppi for web and 300ppi for print, although some images also require 300ppi for web.

That was in the 90s. Current screens are of higher resolution. But that doesn't matter. DPI is just a number tagged in the metadata and it won't affect the way a web browser displays an image. All the images in my port are 240 and 300dpi - it really doesn't matter.

For print: 300dpi for is not fixed too. You can print in 600dpi or in 200dpi or other. That is to be checked with the print factory and obviously it matters how big the print will be. A huge street billboard can be 100dpi, 50dpi, etc. A poster is different. The print factory can (and usually does) set the values for correct output, so you shouldn't worry.

My understanding is that no interpolation means don't add extra pixels (or make the image any bigger)- is this correct?

Interpolation means creation of numerical values between other discrete values. This is what software does when you upsize an image. Also when you downsize obviously new pixels need to be recalculated.

Native sizing to me, means keep the size and only change the resolution.

Yes. No stretch/shrink of actual pixels. Native is also assumed the original hardware resolution of the acquiring device (camera sensor, scanner).

May 15 16 06:59 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

One important thing is to sharpen images only AFTER re-sizing.

Other than that, this should tell you what you need to know:

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/how- … -printing/

..If this is an important job and the client wants a professional result for print, then I'd worry more about colour calibration than DPI - see that link. If the printer assumes that your colour balance is correct and your monitor isn't correctly calibrated, then final colours could be rather whacky. A hardware calibrator is the professional soltuion, but there are some cheaper options:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ … monitor/2/

May 15 16 07:19 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I'll toss on that what you see on your monitor may be too blue for the printer.  I posed this question for retouchers who print some time ago (got crickets) as often what I get from someone who has PS'd their images to look good on their LCD screen print sadly unless altered.

Our little LCD screens are generally bluish at around 6,500 Kelvin (D65) or higher, and prints for display indoors are usually viewed on monitors calibrated to around 5,000 Kelvin (D50).  I alter my screen between D50 and D65 settings depending on whether I am using the printers that day, or playing on the web and watching videos there with the bluish D65 light.

My retouch monitor is an Eizo CG-248-4K which has Color Navigator 6 and allows for On-the-Fly color management screen color shifts from D50, D65, etc. as well as brightness for them.  Eizo loads a factory-tuned Web (D65), Photography, and Printing (D50) profile and I can flip between them easily.  I can also manually load (visually) various paper and profiles I find works better for them and emulate/adjust on its screen for their optical brightners which may be more blue-white than what I would see otherwise in a non-optical brightner or archival paper.  Sort of a secondary profile visual matching.

Then you have the sRGB colorspace for web, and maybe something larger for the printer in Adobe RGB 1998.  Depends on the printer's machines and setup if they have multiple colors of inks available to cover a larger gamut than sRGB.

The standard printer PPI numbers are 300 for Canons, and 360 for Epsons.  I have both printer models and use Qimage Ultimate as the printer's pre-driver and tuning software to feed them which sets it up automatically, and I can do a "Print to File" (Save) for an image too.  I'm printing right now and I see Qimage has set one printer to "Max.-720 PPI" (360x2 I guess?).  Qimage handles all the resizing, PPI work, and sharpening automatically for me and the printed output seems a lot better than Adobe PS or LR too, imho.

Hopefully the printer will be able to alter your images as needed.  They may not want to and I find some just do everything as sRGB too and some who will just do JPG only as well.  If you submit a large TIFF to one I know, they will kick it back as well as any ProPhoto embedded image.  They know what you saw, and what they might flip it too, may become an issue so they just request images in sRGB and JPG only and not try and second guess your visualization.

Good luck, but I would ask for clarification from the printer as they do have their preferences and some can be picky.

May 15 16 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Sophie A Photographer wrote:
They have specified they want the images to be provided "web ready and print ready (native size/full pixels- no interpolation)"

thiswayup wrote:
One important thing is to sharpen images only AFTER re-sizing.

since they specified "native size" there is no re-sizing in this case. yes, it means leave the size (pixel dimensions), do not re-size. also, resolution for web and print is meaningless. that is just information (metadata) stored in the file. a one inch image at 4,000 dpi and the same image at 10 inch and 400 dpi are exactly the same pixel dimension. just leave the size as provided to you.

the main issue is the color space used for the print and web images and your monitor calibration. web color space is sRGB. you need to ask if the printer has a preference for sRBG or adobe RGB and give them your contact information if they have any problems (rather then contacting the client). also let the client know to have the printer call you if there are any questions. lot depends on if the prepress and press operator are competent.

May 17 16 11:14 am Link