Forums > General Industry > your portfolio...

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

...is only as good as your worst image in it.
It is better to have three good images than 20, with 17 being not so good.
Please, lets forget about the 20 spaces that is offered and concentrate on the good image that we have to show.

Dec 04 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

Excellent point

Dec 04 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

That is made 10,000 times easier by the fact that everyone is in lock-step agreement over exactly which photos those top 3 are.

Dec 04 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Blown highlights, poor lighting, poor poses, poor color adjustment, poor composition is not rocket science.
When I look at a portfolio and see one or two good images and 18 or 19 really bad images, I wonder what the hell was this person thinking.  Fill up the spaces?  YEP!  That's what they are doing.  Filling up the spaces with images that are second, or even third rate just to fill them up.  If MM gave them 30 spaces they would be filled. 
It would be nice to see MM give 5 spaces.  Give us your best 5.  Forget the crap.

Dec 04 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

What is your worst image and what is your best image?

Who should decide and by what..

Your eye ..

Your Models eye..

Some bystanders eye..

By views..

By comments...

What if Everybody loves my bad photos?..Cant stand my best photos!!

What if.........

(:--------

Hj

Dec 04 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Comes from the guy that likes his women to look purple.  Geeze!  No wonder the place is in such a mess.
See note above about poor color adjustment.
"What if Everybody loves my bad photos?..Cant stand my best photos!!" 
That should probably tell you something.  Think?

Dec 04 06 04:13 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

*mouth hanging open*

Dec 04 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

I say, sleep is not allowed until you fill all 20 slots with jaw-dropping, breath-holding, stunningly showcased imagery that will make us all weak in the knees...

Personally, I haven't slept in over a decade and I'm gettin' kinda sleepy.

Dec 04 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
That is made 10,000 times easier by the fact that everyone is in lock-step agreement over exactly which photos those top 3 are.

You rawk!

Dec 04 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

You never know what will be appealing to whom.  I try to have a variety of shots just like most folks here on MM.

Dec 04 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

"You rawk!"
Oh my word...
See note above about English.  Opppps, sorry, I guess I forgot to mention that one in my list.
Note to self...English classes should be passed to get out of high school.

Dec 04 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

lightsandshadow wrote:
You never know what will be appealing to whom.  I try to have a variety of shots just like most folks here on MM.

Not a bad idea.  But there are good images and then there are poor images.  Variety is one thing, bad is something else. 
I don't like fetish, but I know a good fetish image.  I also know a poorly done fetish image.  There is nothing about a poor image that makes it good just because a few people that have no concept of photography like it.

Dec 04 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

I thought trip trapping and lurking under bridges was confined to the pit these days?

Dec 04 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

*scratching head, viewing port*

Dec 04 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Sirensong wrote:
I thought trip trapping and lurking under bridges was confined to the pit these days?

This is about putting up quality images in portfolios.  If you do not want to partake, fine.  Butt out with your immature comments.  So far this is civil and informative.  You appearently have nothing better to do than turn this into another chat room piece of trash.  So goes the MM forums.

Dec 04 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

Shadowscape Studio wrote:
Not a bad idea.  But there are good images and then there are poor images.  Variety is one thing, bad is something else. 
I don't like fetish, but I know a good fetish image.  I also know a poorly done fetish image.  There is nothing about a poor image that makes it good just because a few people that have no concept of photography like it.

Agreed, sometimes bad is just bad.  My pet peeve is killing a model with a flash.

Dec 04 06 05:13 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

This is about putting up quality images in portfolios.  If you do not want to partake, fine.  Butt out with your immature comments.  So far this is civil and informative.  You appearently have nothing better to do than turn this into another chat room piece of trash.  So goes the MM forums.

Ahh yes
Reading your post quoted below I can see JUST what you mean.

You rawk!"
Oh my word...
See note above about English.  Opppps, sorry, I guess I forgot to mention that one in my list.

Incidently beings that what is good is a subjective issue what YOU think may not deserve to be in a port the person putting up might think does deserve to be there.
It is not your port therefore you have the option to move along to another.

Some people think that a cow suspended practically pickled is art and others do not.
Such is the way of things smile

Dec 04 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Speaking of passing English, you might want to refresh yourself on the definitions of the words "civil" and "informative".

Dec 04 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

"You rawk!"
Oh my word...

While you're at it try a taking a class on pop culture reference and phonetic pronunciation.

Dec 04 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

I can't provide a link right now, but I have read several times that Tyler's stated purpose in creating Model Mayhem was to create a place for ALL photographers and models of all skill levels, amateur or professional.  A rank beginner or casual amateur may not have the same quality of images as a serious advanced amateur or working pro but they still have the right to post anything they want in their portfolio as long as it does not violate the TOS.  Don't let it get to you.  Portfolios are not like thread topics on the front page.  They are not out in plain sight.  You have to search them out to see.

Live and let live.  There is more to worry about than the quality of images in someone elses portfolio.

Dec 04 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Ransom J wrote:

While you're at it try a taking a class on pop culture reference and phonetic pronunciation.

If you'd like Ransom, I can hip him to the 'origins' of pop culture thing seeing that it never fails that someone just wants attention. Anyways, keep putting it down, my man.

Dec 04 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

"You rawk!"
Oh my word...

what is "opppps" ?

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I wouldn't mind having more spaces, personally.

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Please, lets forget about the 20 spaces that is offered and concentrate on the good image that we have to show.

you know i looked at your port ,as a collecter i dont like 1 image you have.   if you looked at my work you probably would think i suck.   but ive sold images as im sure you have , its called taste.    everyones is different   , some of my least favorites of mine are the ones my customers love.   so if we weeded out each others ports neither of us would have any pictures left.

Dec 04 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

"You rawk!"
Oh my word...

"Must" be passed....

Dec 04 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:
What is your worst image and what is your best image?

Who should decide and by what..

Your eye ..

Your Models eye..

Some bystanders eye..

By views..

By comments...

What if Everybody loves my bad photos?..Cant stand my best photos!!

What if.........

(:--------

Hj

Good points. In Dave's portfolio (Where I assume HE thinks they are all steller) there are several I wish I had taken. In general I'm a fan of his work. But there are a couple I think are weak and a couple down right Nude In Nature 101 looking. But this is just MY opinion. I'm sure he's find the same thing if he looks at my portfolio. Point is, MY reason for being here is to get models. And who knows what images THEY will like. So I put up some that are not MY favorites but get a lot of hits and comments from models. Because the second reason I'm on MM is to get other peoples OPINIONS on their favorites of my work. I'm working on a series of 40th anniversary shows and a Documentary is being made on me. I want images in there that are liked by a majority of people. i shoot what I like and hope the model likes them too. i don't care what others think so much UNTIL it comes time for a show or a book. Because those things live or die by general art audience appeal.So, long story shortened, I put up many images to see what gets the most attention.
Mike

Dec 04 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

"...taste is the enemy of art."
Picasso

Dec 04 06 05:59 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

*yawn*

Dec 04 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Yep.  Turned into another chat room forum.  Too bad ideas about how to improve here just become an area where chit chat, stupid ideas, and parties seem to filter.
Enjoy yourselves.

Dec 04 06 06:10 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Yep.  Turned into another chat room forum.  Too bad ideas about how to improve here just become an area where chit chat, stupid ideas, and parties seem to filter.
Enjoy yourselves.

if i want ideas on how to improve, i ask photogs, etc that i trust, that have work that i enjoy, etc.  in the real (non-internet world), my agent prunes my portfolio.  in atlanta, i also had an art director friend who would give me 'straight up' critiques.

the fodder that i post on the web is just for fun.  the agency gets the 'goods'. wink

Dec 04 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

around 50% of the replies at this point are on-topic.  Several of the others indicate boredom with a topic that has been hashed over before.  Pretty typical response.

Dec 04 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

And THIS is why MM has effectively made me hate "artists".

Dec 04 06 06:22 pm Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I agree....

but at this point in time i'm not sure which direction my portfolio is going, so it's pretty all over the place. And it's really hard to decide what should stay and what should go.

Dec 04 06 06:23 pm Link

Model

Memi Haute

Who died and made you the be all and end all of explaining what is and isn't good photography? https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/GKMcNeil/web%20stuff/headscratch.gif

Dec 04 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

oops ...who dun 'it

Dec 04 06 06:29 pm Link