Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > cleaning up Latex

Photographer

NegativeGrain

Spokane, Washington, US

How would one go about cleaning up shiny latex from smudges? It's kicking my butt. I added a link to a dropbox folder with two raw files for and example. Excuse the big black dirt speck on my sensor haha.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/042ecstn16bz … vWPga?dl=0

Apr 27 16 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

a preview image would be helpful, along with some of the things you've tried.
then it would be better to point you in the direction off what might work.

or, were you just looking to have it done?
in that case I'd point you to the casting call section

Apr 29 16 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Nikonshooter wrote:
How would one go about cleaning up shiny latex from smudges?

the first important fact is to recognize what you are looking at. that's not "smudges". it's latex that hasn't been cleaned nor had proper care taken. it has overall dull, patchy areas and a bit of shine. the hood is better, it just has fine stripes that can be removed with high pass work. they need to be properly cleaned and then a silicone lubricant or other latex polish applied (for shinny latex) just before a shoot.

you need to do lots of work taking out the dull areas and adding shine in. this wasn't featuring the latex suit, but eowyn still applied silicone on it before the shot.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140617/09/53a067d6a747d.jpg

Apr 29 16 11:58 am Link

Photographer

NegativeGrain

Spokane, Washington, US

So I take there is no way to fix it in photoshop. It was my first time shooting in a studio so I didn't pay attention at first. It wasn't until later that i noticed her latex wasn't taken care of.

Apr 30 16 01:42 am Link

Retoucher

CLICK retouch

Denver, Colorado, US

Yes, there is you just clone and heal a lot.

Apr 30 16 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Nikonshooter wrote:
So I take there is no way to fix it in photoshop.

who said that it can't be fixed?

Apr 30 16 10:48 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Nikonshooter wrote:
So I take there is no way to fix it in photoshop. It was my first time shooting in a studio so I didn't pay attention at first. It wasn't until later that i noticed her latex wasn't taken care of.

You can fix anything because control everything. It's a question of how mush work you are willing to do.

I'd consider painting the latex a solid colour and then putting a light map over the top to get basic contouring back in, then another for specular effects.

May 01 16 08:14 am Link

Filmmaker

BrokxMedia

Maassluis, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Much can be 'fixed in post', but taking those extra 5 minutes to look and shine latex will always save you hours of work.

May 01 16 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

nvm

May 01 16 05:49 pm Link