Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Matching Color and Tone like Josie clough

Photographer

David Reid Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I have always been a fan of her work and have been trying to achieve a similar look and feel in my photos to Josie. 

I have attempted to follow this tutorial on matching color and tone, however am not getting close (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHvfVc_8eMc).

I have also tried various curves and other channel blending etc but just cant seem to get the look.

I think (possibly incorrectly) that its a particular treatment she places over her images as its very consistent across all her models.

Any help would be appreciated to get that real tanned look.

http://www.josephineclough.com/ <--- examples

Apr 16 16 03:00 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

That tanned look can be created with adjustment levels or curves and a mask.
The first trick is to get the underlying luminosity of the models skin DOWN in brightness.  So choose a levels adjustment layer and slide the center slider to the right till the skin looks as dark as you want it. 

If you want to make further "color corrections" to the models tanned skin (like make the whites become yellowish and the tan a bit more brown... just go to the blue channel and slide the middle slider to the right till the yellows look good to you... and same with green channel to get a better brown look.)

Now that you have the dark skin and some good coloring...you notice that the whole image is brown now!  So do a control/command I to invert the layer mask to black...all the colors will now disappear.  Now paint with a soft white 6% opacity white brush on the skin that you want the tan to cover.  You will stroke all the areas till it looks great...if you make a mistake turn the brush black to erase the problem.

You might now want to add a contrast adjustment layer and a Hue/Saturation layer to further add some pop.  Same thing...make your initial adjustment to the whole image...do a command I to invert the mask to black...then paint in the contrast where ever you want it till you are happy.

Josie may have a preset for her images...she is pretty strong...but because you are using adjustment layers you can copy a layer to get twice the effect...or... change any parameter all day long... till you see exactly what you like.  Everything is adjustable at all times to keep the artist within you happy.  You could make your own presets right within the properties dialogue box easy enough to get you started.... then you can mask paint and adjust till you are happy with the look...making any adjustments interactively as you go along.

Cheers

Ray

Apr 16 16 04:11 pm Link