Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Photoshop Actions and image looks

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

I was looking threw some of these videos and really liked Nikki Harrison added photoshop touches that where shown in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DEaixZtTYs I don't know how to make this look so I was thinking of buying some. Not sure if its worth it though and not sure which packages even have this style hmm
I also seen something alike with greaterthangatsby.com
Can any one direct me on how I can learn how to do this myself or which is the best to buy?
Thank You!!!

Apr 03 16 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Downtown Pro Photo

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

the thing with actions is that they are designed to work on the images the person who wrote them shoots.  Unless you shoot exactly the same way they did, the actions won't give you the same look.
It's better to learn Photoshop and what all the tools do.  Shoot differently and see how the same techniques create different looks, reverse engineer a look to the techniques used and determine how you will need to shoot initially in order to achieve a certain look. 
Once you've done that you'll see that you won't want to use actions since they will limit you too much.

Apr 05 16 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

Downtown Pro Photo wrote:
the thing with actions is that they are designed to work on the images the person who wrote them shoots.  Unless you shoot exactly the same way they did, the actions won't give you the same look.
It's better to learn Photoshop and what all the tools do.  Shoot differently and see how the same techniques create different looks, reverse engineer a look to the techniques used and determine how you will need to shoot initially in order to achieve a certain look. 
Once you've done that you'll see that you won't want to use actions since they will limit you too much.

Very true! But on this case I see this type of look used a lot. In magazines and other photographers photos. All different types of photos. But ruffly the same style look. I tried to make it in photoshop but guess Im not good enough. Taken the photos I have no problem with. Its the color Im talking about in the photos. Just odd and a bit mysteries. Hard to explain. The link I set up is just basically a head shot. Soft lighting. Its that off color, looking into color grading but don't know how. I ll get it. I was going to buy it a reverse engineer it but then when I listen to the video it wasn't filter but her creation and filters used over that! hmm lol I wish there was a name for that look be easier to explain.
Thanks for your 411

Apr 06 16 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Downtown Pro Photo

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

You can use a gradient map adjustment layer with the tones you want and set the blend mode to one of the overlay options, that can be a start.
Gradient maps replace certain tonal values between 0 and 255 with a new tone of your choice.  You can set multiple colors at different tonal values and use the sliders between your anchor points to adjust the transitions between the two.  It takes some getting used to and you will need to plan ahead with the shooting and lighting to achieve the ranges needed in order to make it work.
Play with different images shot with various lighting styles and ratios.  Apply the gradient maps and mess around with the different colors at various spots along the scale.  Then change the blending modes (use all of them, not just the overlays) and see what happens.  Change up the opacity value of the layer to see where it kicks in.
You might have to use more than one adjustment layer and mask out and in different spots on the image to achieve the look you want.  It is seldom a one and done situation with the stylized look.
learn how others did something, but then apply it to you.

Apr 07 16 11:46 am Link