Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > 'I see colours you cannot perceive or imagine'

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2016031 … or-imagine
Some women are born with hyper-sensitive eyes that can see the world in ways most of us
cannot even imagine. What’s it like to live with this gift?

By David Robson
17 March 2016

A few years ago, the artist Concetta Antico discovered that she was carrying a genetic
mutation that gave her astonishingly sensitive perception of colour – seeing a spectrum
of distinct shades where we only see one.

As she told BBC Future in 2014, even the dullest pebble on the road shimmered like a kaleidoscope.

“The little stones jump out at me with oranges, yellows, greens, blues and pinks,” she says.
“I’m kind of shocked when I realize what other people aren’t seeing.”

Mar 26 16 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I have read of this before. It's nice to know she is using her mutant
abilities for good, instead of evil. big_smile

Mar 26 16 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

Its called LSD

Apr 03 16 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I used to run large format ink jet printers. Our office manager brought in a black and white photo that her son had taken and wanted me to make a poster of it.

I showed her test strips and took her advice on getting the neutral gray that she preferred. When we were really close, I printed two tests, one that I thought would be the final and one with 1 point of magenta added in Photoshop (out of 256 point scale). I showed it to a few other employees, male and female, before I took it to her. Nobody could see a difference.

I dropped it on her desk and she instantly pointed at the +1 magenta strip and said "That one is pink!".

I started using her for important color decisions after that.

smile

Apr 03 16 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Yani S wrote:
Its called LSD

Yup, it does that, (from a long time ago, in my experience).
-Don

Apr 03 16 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Yani S

Shadow Dancer wrote:
I used to run large format ink jet printers. Our office manager brought in a black and white photo that her son had taken and wanted me to make a poster of it.

I showed her test strips and took her advice on getting the neutral gray that she preferred. When we were really close, I printed two tests, one that I thought would be the final and one with 1 point of magenta added in Photoshop (out of 256 point scale). I showed it to a few other employees, male and female, before I took it to her. Nobody could see a difference.

I dropped it on her desk and she instantly pointed at the +1 magenta strip and said "That one is pink!".

I started using her for important color decisions after that.

smile

If nobody could notice the difference. Then did it really matter?

Apr 03 16 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yani S wrote:

Only when it's the client

Apr 03 16 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

dang DP

Apr 03 16 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Yani S wrote:

In general, no it didn't matter. For me, even less so - I have some measurable colorblindness. On the other hand, finding somebody in the shop who had exceptional color vision made my job much easier.

I did have a client who brought in files that were shot at great expense by a professional. They were creating trade show displays and had images of product in several different colors. Their Art Director was female with excellent color vision, I don't know if she was at the same level as our Office Manager but she wanted the trade show displays to match with the actual product. After the first test strips were viewed, we negotiated to pickup actual samples of the products in the colors we needed to match.

It was really helpful having the Office Manager provide guidance that I could trust absolutely to get that job done quickly.

Apr 03 16 06:29 pm Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I enjoyed the story and would do the same...

Apr 03 16 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Ask Siri what her favorite color is.

Apr 05 16 02:10 pm Link