Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Car photo's for a car dealership.

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

When taking digital images of cars for a car dealership for there web site and the news paper. does it matter if the camera that you use if full frame or not?

Mar 21 16 06:53 am Link

Photographer

petemplinphoto

Duvall, Washington, US

TerrysPhotocountry wrote:
When taking digital images of cars for a car dealership for there web site and the news paper. does it matter if the camera that you use if full frame or not?

Nope. If it's for a website, 1mp is probably fine. If it's for newspaper, 1mp b&w is fine. smile

Mar 21 16 07:47 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

petemplinphoto wrote:

Nope. If it's for a website, 1mp is probably fine. If it's for newspaper, 1mp b&w is fine. smile

Thanks: I have a Nikon D-300s, & a D-800. I just want to make sure.

Mar 21 16 09:56 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Thanks: I have a Nikon D-300s, & a D-800. I just want to make sure.

That problem is resolved.  Now I have another   Question for the Photographers out there.When there is a florescent light reflection off of a car! Will a polarized filter fix that problem?

Mar 21 16 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

That problem is resolved.  Now I have another   Question for the Photographers out there.When there is a florescent light reflection off of a car! Will a polarized filer fix that problem?

will a polarized filter eliminate a light source reflecting on a car? no.

have you ever photographed vehicles or products before?

you are essentially documenting the vehicle.
have the same angle shots for each one.

don't worry too much about quality, just consistency. get the job done quickly and efficiently.

Mar 21 16 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

petemplinphoto

Duvall, Washington, US

That problem is resolved.  Now I have another   Question for the Photographers out there.When there is a florescent light reflection off of a car! Will a polarized filer fix that problem?

Go search YouTube for Tim Wallace's video on lighting a Mustang...you'll learn something.

Mar 21 16 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yes, it matters. If you are taking interior photos of the car you are going to need a wide lens. On a full frame camera a wide lens is going to be wider than on a crop sensor.

Mar 24 16 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

That problem is resolved.  Now I have another   Question for the Photographers out there.When there is a florescent light reflection off of a car! Will a polarized filter fix that problem?

I wouldn't use a polarizer on a car. Cars have lines and curves that are enhanced with the light reflecting off of it. When you use a polarizer you are taking away reflection and the cars look flat. Florescent light mixed with other type of light can give you a nasty color cast. A polarizer wouldn't fix that.

Mar 24 16 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

PL filters work on non metallic surfaces and point light sources. So they will not work with FL or diffused sources and only on the glass parts of cars (with point light souce, like the sun )

Mar 25 16 09:09 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

Crop frame cameras have a magnification factor.  They dont use all of the lenses area so the effective millimeters view is larger and more zoomed in... than a full frame camera would create.  For example: that crop factor is sometimes 1.5 times the original mm lens...so a 35mm wide angle lens would end up looking like a 50 mm lens on that camera. The D300 is a crop factor camera and your actual lenses will give you a slightly magnified view.  The D800 is a full frame camera and whatever lens in mm that you put on it...will look right for that lens.  The D300 will have slightly cropped in image views...but that may NOT be any problem at all for you if you can step back a bit to get the whole car into the frame.  The D300 is capable of producing good web and newspaper images...the D800 is an awesome camera that can fulfill most professional needs with high resolution results.  You have 2 good bodies there.

As an aside, One of the things I found helpful when photographing cars... was a large, light weight, white fabric on a PVC frame I easily made up myself.   Cars have many chrome and panel curves that reflect images and light spots from a very wide field of view.  Sometimes I can see the entire parking lot or myself taking the images in these reflections.  The large white "reflector" makes all the mirrored surfaces reflect a smooth white uniform sheen that is not cluttered or confused. 
But this may be too much for the quality you are after.  Just a thought.

Mar 25 16 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

TMA Photo and Training wrote:
Crop frame cameras have a magnification factor.  They dont use all of the lenses area so the effective millimeters view is larger and more zoomed in... than a full frame camera would create.  For example: that crop factor is sometimes 1.5 times the original mm lens...so a 35mm wide angle lens would end up looking like a 50 mm lens on that camera. The D300 is a crop factor camera and your actual lenses will give you a slightly magnified view.  The D800 is a full frame camera and whatever lens in mm that you put on it...will look right for that lens.  The D300 will have slightly cropped in image views...but that may NOT be any problem at all for you if you can step back a bit to get the whole car into the frame.  The D300 is capable of producing good web and newspaper images...the D800 is an awesome camera that can fulfill most professional needs with high resolution results.  You have 2 good bodies there.

As an aside, One of the things I found helpful when photographing cars... was a large, light weight, white fabric on a PVC frame I easily made up myself.   Cars have many chrome and panel curves that reflect images and light spots from a very wide field of view.  Sometimes I can see the entire parking lot or myself taking the images in these reflections.  The large white "reflector" makes all the mirrored surfaces reflect a smooth white uniform sheen that is not cluttered or confused. 
But this may be too much for the quality you are after.  Just a thought.

Yes I have a D-300, D-300s & the D-800. It looks like the 300 & 300s will do just fine for my needs with my 17 x 50 its a wide angel lens. I know  what you are saying about chrome reflection. I white drape etc behind me will not leave thou's  black spots on the chrome. I will need the highest quality that I can get. I thanks everyone's for there response.

Mar 25 16 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Why are you asking us ?

Shouldn't you just call the client and ask what size image that they need ?

Mar 25 16 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ike Lace Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

The only thing that matters is the frame of it.

Mar 25 16 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Why are you asking us ?

Shouldn't you just call the client and ask what size image that they need ?

Simply because I am refereeing to a car dealership were this is a full time job. Not just one car.

Mar 26 16 12:06 am Link