Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > The old Mac vs PC debate...

Retoucher

Ryan C L

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

I have an HP laptop with a 17.3" screen, 16gb of ram, a decent AMD processor with on board graphics and have a solid state drive installed which runs photoshop as well as my OS. I never really encounter any problems when using photoshop and I'm fairly happy with the speed at which I'm able to work. But... I have noticed that the top level retouchers are mostly using mac's. Now is it really worth me spending £2000 on a top of the range mac book pro? Am I really going to see a £2000 increase in performance? I have never personally used a mac but there has to be a really big standout reason that people are paying twice the price for a mac as they would for a PC with almost exactly the same specs.

Mar 20 16 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Philip R

Agoura Hills, California, US

A computer is a tool.  They are all similar.  You answered your own question:  "I never really encounter any problems when using photoshop and I'm fairly happy with the speed at which I'm able to work"

Mar 20 16 04:42 am Link

Retoucher

Ryan C L

I thought as much, just not having ever used a mac I wasn't sure if i was totally over looking something, thanks for your input.

Mar 20 16 04:54 am Link

Photographer

picayou

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US

I'm not a Mac Fan Boy but am hard on laptops, my main is a 17" MBP that I have used regularly since 2010. In the same time frame prior, I went through three PC based laptops. 1 Dell and 2 HP's, it is for this reason I have stuck with Apple. Next laptop will probably be a PC tho as 17" Mac's aren't made nor are they going to be supported anymore.

Mar 20 16 05:20 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

I used to have a PPC based Mac laptop, which still runs (awfully slow) these days. I made the transition from Mac to PC back in 2008, when I started rebuilding my desktop, and have been upgrading ever since couple of years. I don't really see any kind of extra benefit one would derive from using a Mac, except for the luminescent Apple logo on the back of the lid

Mar 20 16 05:20 am Link

Photographer

RosaErotica

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

The point is with Mac you have no viruses, spywares and such annoyances. I personnally run Linux, that's basically quite the same as Mac (Macos is derived from BSD) and I stick with it. But of course, if I was a professionnal retoucher, I'd go for a Mac as there are few professionnal-grade softs for Linux, for commercial rather than techhnical reasons. No Photoshop, no Illustrator, no Rhino or Inventor or Maya. Yet there are Gimp, Inkscape and Blender, they're free and they do the job.

Mar 20 16 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

AuxBijouxEphemeres wrote:
The point is with Mac you have no viruses, spywares and such annoyances. I personnally run Linux, that's basically quite the same as Mac (Macos is derived from BSD) and I stick with it. But of course, if I was a professionnal retoucher, I'd go for a Mac as there are few professionnal-grade softs for Linux, for commercial rather than techhnical reasons. No Photoshop, no Illustrator, no Rhino or Inventor or Maya. Yet there are Gimp, Inkscape and Blender, they're free and they do the job.

Funny.  I was just reading about a Mac virus recently.   smile

Mar 20 16 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

picayou wrote:
I'm not a Mac Fan Boy but am hard on laptops, my main is a 17" MBP that I have used regularly since 2010. In the same time frame prior, I went through three PC based laptops. 1 Dell and 2 HP's, it is for this reason I have stuck with Apple. Next laptop will probably be a PC tho as 17" Mac's aren't made nor are they going to be supported anymore.

I am typing this on a 10 year old 17 inch laptop.

Mar 20 16 06:01 am Link

Photographer

RosaErotica

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Funny.  I was just reading about a Mac virus recently.   smile

It's not impossible, it's only more difficult. No computer is 100 % safe ; that said, on Unix-like systems the authorisations system is such that one can't just write an executable file without, at least, getting noticed. So pirates concentrate on Windows systems, just like crooks on innocent retirees.

Mar 20 16 06:07 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

It's not impossible, it's only more difficult. No computer is 100 % safe ; that said, on Unix-like systems the authorisations system is such that one can't just write an executable file without, at least, getting noticed. So pirates concentrate on Windows systems, just like crooks on innocent retirees.

I don't remember the details about the virus but it was introduced to the Mac in a different way.
I haven't had a problem with viruses.  I had one and cleared it myself.

Mar 20 16 06:13 am Link

Retoucher

Ryan C L

Thanks for all the replies, I really wasn't sure if I was completely missing something when it came to mac's, I never use my laptop to download anything from the internet and I don't even open email's through my laptop as they all come through my mobile anyway so virus' and spyware aren't an issue for me but the added protection mac's offer can only be a good thing. The cost of the new mac book pro's almost lead you to think that they must be the be all and end all but when you look at the spec's I find it hard to justify the £2000 price tag.

Mar 20 16 06:34 am Link

Photographer

RosaErotica

Yes, that's the major flaw on Macs : the price tag. But there may be an other advantage to them : they look "professionnal".
Not that you can't do a good work with other systems, it's just the hype. Just like you can't come to a shoot with a Holga, even if you shoot stunning pics with it, and some people do.

Mar 20 16 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

I've worked on both systems. For home I use Mac and at my day gig I have to use PC..  What I've noticed no matter where I've worked that required using PC's is that I've typically had more down time on the PC.. What I mean, no matter if it was a custom built or out of the box variety, they all seemed to get sluggish and I was always having to wait for photoshop to respond after a certain point.. I RARELY have that occur when I'm working at home on my Mac..

Now, both systems have to be connected to the internet so wether that is an issue I don't know, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on my Mac.. And I'm notorious for having multiple browser windows open..  I also find that I have fewer hang ups on my Mac vs PC..  But as someone said, they're tools and if yours is working for you and to your liking, just like Canon vs Nikon, don't go jumping ship..

Mar 20 16 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Yes, that's the major flaw on Macs : the price tag. But there may be an other advantage to them : they look "professionnal".
Not that you can't do a good work with other systems, it's just the hype. Just like you can't come to a shoot with a Holga, even if you shoot stunning pics with it, and some people do.

That is a very poor comparison!   sad

Mar 20 16 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

You would likely experience a bump in speed, but I have every doubt that it would be so great as to justify the price of jumping into a Mac.  Plus the learning curve from going PC to Mac will be frustrating at first and any benefits in speed you see Adobe programs will be wasted on relearning how to do simple things like moving files.

Mar 20 16 08:29 am Link

Photographer

picayou

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Still have a 2006-15" MBP that is functional but not my daily (has to stay close to an outlet). I use my 17" as my main computer and put it thru the paces daily, just sharing my personal experience. Going forward I will be looking at PC's again for the screen size and the new tech, like the Samsung 950 PRO SSD. Not excited about relearning Windows but speed and power do excite me.

Mar 20 16 09:01 am Link

Photographer

picayou

Good Egg Productions wrote:
You would likely experience a bump in speed, but I have every doubt that it would be so great as to justify the price of jumping into a Mac.  Plus the learning curve from going PC to Mac will be frustrating at first and any benefits in speed you see Adobe programs will be wasted on relearning how to do simple things like moving files.

This ^^^ there is a learning curve for sure.

Mar 20 16 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Colorblinded

Rochester, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

A friend of mine still regularly uses a 12 or 13 year old Thinkpad I sold him years ago when I upgraded to something newer.

Mac vs PC is like coke or pepsi.  Use whichever you prefer.  Comparable hardware will run the same as long as you don't make a mess of it, and that applies to both systems.

More malware is targeting Macs, and getting cleverer about it.  Apple hasn't been as responsive to these threats as MS is these days, but it looks like they're improving. 

The thing that throws most people for the loop is they comparison shop a premium Apple product against more bargain line PC hardware.  If you compare the better PC equipment you'll see it's fairs well against Apple, but you don't find a lot of that at Best Buy.  Hit up a Microsoft store or shop online and you'll find better PC hardware available. 

My biggest problem with Apple's hardware is that as well engineered as it appears, they often favor form over function and wind up leaving some performance on the table through questionable cooling capacity, etc. They've largely stopped doing so much of that now, fortunately.

Mar 20 16 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Ryan C L wrote:
blah, blah, blah,...
I'm fairly happy with the speed at which I'm able to work.
blah, blah, blah,...

I think that's your answer.  I wouldn't switch platforms & spends tons of money if you are satisfied with your current setup.  There are (always) productive things you can be doing with your time & money.

Mar 20 16 09:21 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I was very disappointed with the Apple Thunderbolt 27" display as it crushed the blacks and I got no shadow detail there, according to the RGB numbers, that should be visible.  Retina is nice for resolution, but not so good if one is a printer or looking for detail and not so punchy color.  Probably why x-rite uses an Eizo monitor over the Apple in their webinars too.

When I went to the Eizo demo in LA, one guy there was buying four 31" Eizos ($6K each!) to replace his Thunderbolts since his job was a movie colorist for the majors.  His thought was Apple was becoming more consumerized rather than pro since they seemed to be feeding the iPhone and web more than movie and print work.

Some of it may be determined by the software you use too.  Seems a lot of software is PC driven so one then has to install Windows on an Apple to run it.  Qimage Ultimate is one I use a lot for printing as it also controls the driver as well as all paper profiles easier and remembers them too.  Feeds out to my 6 printers easier too from its menu.  No Apple/Mac version of Qimage so Parallels it is to run it as if it were a Windows machine.  May have well bought a PC over the Mac if one needs Windows installed too.

There is also the ability to upgrade components easier with a home-built PC too, and some upper tier notebooks like the Sagers.  Apple seems to change things up rapidly and abandon things sooner too, e.g. The Apple Cube which had a short run of maybe 2-3 years.  Looked cool though with all the crystal glitz and accessories.

Mar 20 16 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Colorblinded wrote:

A friend of mine still regularly uses a 12 or 13 year old Thinkpad I sold him years ago when I upgraded to something newer.

Mac vs PC is like coke or pepsi.  Use whichever you prefer.  Comparable hardware will run the same as long as you don't make a mess of it, and that applies to both systems.

More malware is targeting Macs, and getting cleverer about it.  Apple hasn't been as responsive to these threats as MS is these days, but it looks like they're improving. 

The thing that throws most people for the loop is they comparison shop a premium Apple product against more bargain line PC hardware.  If you compare the better PC equipment you'll see it's fairs well against Apple, but you don't find a lot of that at Best Buy.  Hit up a Microsoft store or shop online and you'll find better PC hardware available. 

My biggest problem with Apple's hardware is that as well engineered as it appears, they often favor form over function and wind up leaving some performance on the table through questionable cooling capacity, etc. They've largely stopped doing so much of that now, fortunately.

There are several levels of PC hardware.  I recently purchased a mid level laptop with Windows 10 that was on clearance.
Some people here like to comment with cliches.

Mar 20 16 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd be pretty surprised if you found an equivalently spec'd laptop for £1000.  The Dell XPS model that is in the same league (the old model was a toss up against the 15" MBP, some better specs, some worse.  The new one has exceeded the older MBP in many of those areas, though I've been reading that overall speed and storage speed and battery life are still better on the MBP) is £1600.  The Asus UX501 is £1500.

So the price difference is definitely there but not as great as most people think.

What it comes down to is the OS and the software you want to run.

You'd be crazy to just switch to another OS just "because".  If you are working happily enough and efficiently enough with your current rig then I can't fathom a reason for changing.

Personally the differences in the hardware and MacOS are worth the premium but for others they couldn't care less.  Such is the way.

Unless you've seen something operationally on a Mac that you feel you would be better off with then switching would probably be a mistake.

Mar 20 16 10:10 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I use both mac and pc.
Different models perform differently.
What people often forget about the differences are is that many things on the mac are standard, such as screen resolution, etc.  If you added these 'standard' items to your pc laptop then the gap in price would be much lower.  There would still be a gap as Mac does put a premium of profits.

Mar 20 16 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

空 wrote:
I use both mac and pc.
Different models perform differently.
What people often forget about the differences are is that many things on the mac are standard, such as screen resolution, etc.  If you added these 'standard' items to your pc laptop then the gap in price would be much lower.  There would still be a gap as Mac does put a premium of profits.

Nowadays most non-mac laptops are winning the resolution battle -- the MBP is something like 2800 pixels wide, the Dell and ASUS I mentioned above are around 3800.  The problem then becomes battery life since those high res screens suck alot of juice.  Both the Dell and the Asus suffer because of that.  But if raw resolution is that important then you've got no choice.

It's possible that Apple will refresh the MBP sometime soon and we'll see what they do with the resolution.

Mar 20 16 10:36 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

I don't know if I am a "top level retoucher" but an Intel CPU in an Apple box does not run faster than the same CPU in a Chinese box.

Also Photoshop is far from good from memory management viewpoint but that's another story. Unfortunately we are stuck with Adobe until someone creates a better alternative (and sadly Gimp has consistently proved it is not one).

The point is with Mac you have no viruses, spywares and such annoyances. I personnally run Linux, that's basically quite the same as Mac (Macos is derived from BSD) and I stick with it.

That is like saying that freedom is quite the same as being in prison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kv4uXUFJ3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtHmKLHtZvg

Mar 20 16 10:53 am Link

Photographer

NG Photos

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Unsafe browsing will ruin any computer eventually.  If you know what you are doing, you almost have nothing to worry about.  Virus scanners themselves are a scammy joke.

Mar 20 16 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Macbooks and Apple products are what most industry pros use.   Photographers, re-toucher, art directors, etc.   That doesn't make them better but is true.   While no OS is totally malware proof OS X is just much better overall against on-line issues.   You won't see a difference in the performance at the high end and the OP has a high end system.   Yet I suggest he go to a Apple store and see for himself.   Apple has a great world that is unique and very cool.   I've met well known pros at the stores.   You don't have to own a Mac to attend their events for sure.

If you have a system like the OP then I wouldn't replace it with a comparable Macbook as he has noted it will cost a lot more.   What I might do and this applies more to me as a shooter is consider a used Macbook Pro.    I like being able to replace my battery and ram and on newer Macbook, iMacs and Mac minis it's hard to impossible.   Apple was able to capture the artistic world years ago when early versions of Windows were more problematic.   Today Windows is great but Apple is still the professional standard.   That doesn't make it 'better' or worse.   Ryan make a trip to a Apple store if you can.   Macbooks are works of art in themselves.   However they are still just computers:   http://improvephotography.com/31242/mac … ographers/

Mar 20 16 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I was just talking to the HP rep and told her how great HP computers have worked for me.   smile

Mar 20 16 01:50 pm Link

Retoucher

Ryan C L

Some really good points have been made in this thread, I think when i NEED to upgrade i will probably lean towards a mac but I do like the larger screen sizes available with PC's. Don't get me wrong my current laptop is more than capable of running photoshop smoothly and I rarely have issues I just felt like I was missing a trick with mac's. One thing I would highly recommend to anyone on a PC is either switching to or adding a solid state drive and installing your OS and photoshop on there. There very straight forward to install and if you can do without your cd/dvd drive you can buy a "drive caddy" for £6 on ebay that will house a SSD and it literally slides into where your DVD drive was and becomes "plug and play".

Mar 20 16 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

And if you serve porn sites a lot, Mac is much safer.   smile

It's true.   smile

Mar 20 16 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
And if you serve porn sites a lot, Mac is much safer.   smile

It's true.   smile

Now the true reason.   lol

Mar 20 16 03:24 pm Link

Retoucher

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Macbooks and Apple products are what most industry pros use.   Photographers, re-toucher, art directors, etc.   That doesn't make them better but is true.   While no OS is totally malware proof OS X is just much better overall against on-line issues.

Yes, there is malware proof OS and it was created by Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds, the so called GNU/Linux. It is free as in freedom (ref. fsf.org) and there is community control of the source code, so nothing is hidden. You can't say that for any proprietary software.

Apple and Microsoft are both part of the PRISM program, so they are reporting directly to NSA. So you can't say OSX is better or worse. If you don't know what the computer is doing, the software is a closed black box and the machine is using you.

The other day I saw an article explaining how file system encryption works on latest Windows versions: as soon as the encryption process completes, the encryption key is automatically sent to your Microsoft account "so that it is safe and you never loose it". If that is not malware and spyware, I don't know what is. The fox guarding the chicken.

There is simply no solution to malware/spyware with Windows and OSX. Unplug the cable and work offline and use a separate Linux based system for communication (but not Ubuntu as it has spyware desktop feature too). But then of course using Google or Facebook is just the same problem as they are also spying on everyone and even if you don't use Gmail - others do. So perhaps the best advice is to spend as little money as possible and use only what is really needed.

I've met well known pros at the stores.

Being well known is not a an equivalent for understanding how hardware and software works. Some stores deliberately "feed" known names to keep them around. Marketing tricks everywhere.

Mar 20 16 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

anchev wrote:

Yes, there is malware proof OS and it was created by Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds, the so called GNU/Linux. It is free as in freedom (ref. fsf.org) and there is community control of the source code, so nothing is hidden. You can't say that for any proprietary software.

Sorry.. but no.

If Heartbleed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbleed) taught us anything it's that open source software isn't immune to catastrophic security problems.

And the tens of thousands of dollars my company spends each year to make sure our Linux machines (nearly a thousand of them) stay secure (both from internal and external threats) belies the notion that any Linux distro is malware proof. We are constantly upgrading to deal with newly discovered vulnerabilities.

The likelihood is certainly small.. but the threats are definitely real and can have huge ramifications. My clients are very protective of their data that we have stored on our servers.  If we just said "Hey.. we use linux.. it's malware proof!" they would first laugh at me and then tell me to delete all of their data and never call (or pay) us again..

Mar 20 16 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

anchev wrote:

Apple and Microsoft are both part of the PRISM program, so they are reporting directly to NSA. So you can't say OSX is better or worse. If you don't know what the computer is doing, the software is a closed black box and the machine is using you.

The other day I saw an article explaining how file system encryption works on latest Windows versions: as soon as the encryption process completes, the encryption key is automatically sent to your Microsoft account "so that it is safe and you never loose it". If that is not malware and spyware, I don't know what is. The fox guarding the chicken.

There is simply no solution to malware/spyware with Windows and OSX. Unplug the cable and work offline and use a separate Linux based system for communication (but not Ubuntu as it has spyware desktop feature too). But then of course using Google or Facebook is just the same problem as they are also spying on everyone and even if you don't use Gmail - others do. So perhaps the best advice is to spend as little money as possible and use only what is really needed.

Being well known is not a an equivalent for understanding how hardware and software works. Some stores deliberately "feed" known names to keep them around. Marketing tricks everywhere.

Mar 20 16 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Linux is immune to Windows malware but recent attacks have shown that its vulnerable.   https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/03/26/don … -security/   This isn't a conversation about security though and Linux is great but the OP is wondering about buying a Macbook.   Not sure what feeding stores big names means exactly but I've met writers, photographers and artists at Apple stores.   They have a program called One to One where you can spend time with people who can help you with personal or business projects.   One to One also offers unlimited classes in software like PhotoShop and other things.   The Microsoft stores don't compare.   Linux is community driven.   No stores.   Little help beyond forums.   

My suggestion for ANY photographer with a reasonable budget is buy a Macbook.   The spying and NSA backdoors are a different subject for a different thread.

Mar 20 16 10:15 pm Link

Mar 20 16 11:49 pm Link

Retoucher

Peter Claver wrote:
Sorry.. but no.

If Heartbleed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbleed) taught us anything it's that open source software isn't immune to catastrophic security problems.

Can you distinguish OS from network protocol/cryptography library? What you are discussing is that no software is 100% bug free. Bug != malware as the later is deliberately created to behave maliciously. When you have community control there are thousands of eyes looking at the code and malware simply can't survive. And very often bug reports are processed within hours. Try to report a problem to Microsoft and see when it gets fixed (if at all)...

If we just said "Hey.. we use linux.. it's malware proof!" they would first laugh at me

And for a good reason (no sarcasm). Linux is just the kernel. People with Win/Mac background call "linux" everything that is put on top of that and certain distros definitely include non-FOSS software. These same people really like to point out certain "severe security problems" in free software packages which have already been fixed long ago and don't affect them in any way, while they happily use the latest shiny box with telemetry reporting features (reporting their mouse moves and keyboard strokes to companies who get their money).

Also there is a big difference between a virus and overall system vulnerability. Of course you can write a virus for any OS. The question is that without root access and without explicitly running it that piece of software won't damage the system. It can damage your user files for sure but if you install software only from the official repositories, you are safe. Considering you are always working as administrator in Windows and you can damage anything at any time.

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Linux is community driven.   No stores.   Little help beyond forums.

Are you saying that if you buy RHEL or SLE you won't get the enterprise support from RedHat and Novell?

The spying and NSA backdoors are a different subject for a different thread.

You mean companies are doing this separately from selling their good clean product? smile

Please don't get me wrong. There is also non-free software which is good. What I am saying is - don't spend too much money for shiny nonsense and don't connect to the Internet from devices which run non-free software, especially if that software has a long proven history of being a spyware itself.

If that is not a good advice then I am afraid I can't give any better one to the OP.

Mar 21 16 12:54 am Link

Photographer

RosaErotica

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

then what the $#^#@! are these people talking about?

http://www.howtogeek.com/223116/how-to- … -your-mac/
http://www.howtogeek.com/210589/mac-os- … has-begun/
http://bgr.com/2015/10/21/mac-malware-increase-2015/
http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg-defense/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/05 … _explodes/
http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/06/first-os- … cted-macs/
https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blo … e-evolved/
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/02 … -returned/

Well I was trying to be objective ! I don't use a Mac, I use an old laptop I found in the recycle bin for internet browsing, and an assembled PC with a Nvidia graphic card for photo, 3D etc. The latter is not connected to the internet unless I need to install new software. Both run Debian with Mate desktop. I'm not sure no-one can spy on me, but it's a thing to be spied on by the NSA or the like, and it's another to have your data going to some unknown Russian hackers. It happened here in France : in 2011, our homeland security ministry's data went somewhere in Russia.
What I do is legal by present-day standards. But what if, say, the EI takes over ? Would they consider artistic nude photo innocent ? Or behead me ?
Well we're getting far away from the original question.I'll stick with Linux ; Autodesk, Black Magic and Dassault System started releasing Linux software, so hopefully one day Adobe will do too ?

Mar 21 16 01:18 am Link

Retoucher

What I do is legal by present-day standards. But what if, say, the EI takes over ? Would they consider artistic nude photo innocent ? Or behead me ?

Spying is not about being legal. Laws are created and changed by the ones who spy on others. It is about total domination for the benefit of an elected "elite".

Autodesk, Black Magic and Dassault System started releasing Linux software, so hopefully one day Adobe will do too ?

A piece of closed proprietary software can still send data from your PC to a company. It doesn't matter much what OS is underneath as long as the software needs root access to install itself and the computer is connected to the network.

Mar 21 16 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

anchev wrote:

Can you distinguish OS from network protocol/cryptography library? What you are discussing is that no software is 100% bug free. Bug != malware as the later is deliberately created to behave maliciously. When you have community control there are thousands of eyes looking at the code and malware simply can't survive.

Of course I can.. read what I wrote again.  I chose the heartbleed bug as an example very carefully.  It is in an open source library (OpenSSL).. there was code review of the commit that cause the bug.. and yet the bug still survived and was not discovered by code review.  Open source software is categorically *not* malware proof.  Richard Stallman can eat as many toenails as he pleases.. it won't make it true.

And no there are not thousands of eyes looking at the code.  There are thousands of people who have *access* to the code.  But it is naive to think that they're all willing and even able to audit the code they've downloaded.

And for a good reason (no sarcasm). Linux is just the kernel. People with Win/Mac background call "linux" everything that is put on top of that and certain distros definitely include non-FOSS software. These same people really like to point out certain "severe security problems" in free software packages which have already been fixed long ago and don't affect them in any way, while they happily use the latest shiny box with telemetry reporting features (reporting their mouse moves and keyboard strokes to companies who get their money).

I've been using linux since almost as long as there *was* a linux.  My job is to write software that is used by hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of linux users every day.  The GNU/Linux vs Linux fight was lost years ago.  Just accept it.  It's just Linux now and that's how everyone who isn't a pedant (ie. the FSF) names it.

Also there is a big difference between a virus and overall system vulnerability. Of course you can write a virus for any OS. The question is that without root access and without explicitly running it that piece of software won't damage the system. It can damage your user files for sure but if you install software only from the official repositories, you are safe. Considering you are always working as administrator in Windows and you can damage anything at any time.

There are *plenty* of local and remote privilege escalation bugs on linux.  We harden our network and installations against them constantly.

You're living in Richard Stallman's fantasy land.

Mar 21 16 07:25 am Link