Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Cleaning the floor

Photographer

ryandjagustin

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Hi guys! I'm getting a hard time to clean the floor. How do you clean the floor leaving the texture and the shadows.
I attached the photo so you can give it a try and post it back here with explanations how you do it.

Photo : https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pywduuf22or6 … 3.JPG?dl=0

Mar 17 16 06:05 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Most important: I shoot on a clean background and only models with clean shoes. It is much easier than trying to post-process 5000 pictures about the same thing.

If the background is really bad like this, I would heal the biggest problems and then blur it completely + add slight grain on top to avoid banding. Of course this will need very careful work around the silhouette, especially around shoes + you must take care of the shadows too.

Mar 17 16 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Bernard Wolf

Santa Monica, California, US

ryandjagustin wrote:
Hi guys! I'm getting a hard time to clean the floor. How do you clean the floor leaving the texture and the shadows.
I attached the photo so you can give it a try and post it back here with explanations how you do it.

Hey.......I worked on your image. PM me & I'll send it to you with how I did it.

Mar 17 16 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Bernard Wolf wrote:

Hey.......I worked on your image. PM me & I'll send it to you with how I did it.

It  would have  been proper to post your reply on M.M. were we all could learn.

Mar 17 16 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Bernard Wolf

TerrysPhotocountry wrote:

It  would have  been proper to post your reply on M.M. were we all could learn.

I don't have the image on a site I can link but I just blurred the floor with surface blur and did some patch tool to smooth out
some spots that the blur didn't take care of...and a little cloning and also neutralized the color a little.

Mar 17 16 06:33 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Quick way for me in CS6:

Make a layer of the gray background and floor only using the magic wand.
Select all of that copied layer.
Go to Noise > Median and set it to about 25-30.
Add maybe 2% Noise to that.
Merge them back as one.
Auto Contrast for snap.

Done.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160317/19/56eb646873c94.jpg

(I did add a little saturation and subtracted some brightness to her one washed out shoulder using NIK Viveza.).

Mar 17 16 06:34 pm Link

Retoucher

ST Retouch

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

ryandjagustin wrote:

Actually you can not do something special to clean background in your case unless you make composite work , to extract model from original background and to put new floor or new background.

The only thing for your file if you don't want to make difficult composite work is to do next steps.

1. Duplicate original file.
2. On duplicated layer covert blending mode from normal to vivid light
3. Invert layer
4. Go to filter-high pass sharpening and choose amount let's say 40 ( it depends from image size I think for your image size this amount will be fine )
5. Go to noise-median and choose amount let's say 3-5 ( try it untill you find best setting)
6.Add mask
7. Paint with soft brush with opacity 100 and flow 50-65 and be very careful around model's edges and shoes, it is better  maybe to make good mask around edges.

On that way you will protect shadows on the floor and you will polish the floor.
Yes you will loose some texture on the floor but not too much.

I am writing these steps from my head based on your image size, I am not on my work station to see results, but I think amount I gave you will work.

This technique is ok to polish solid studio backgrounds when you don't have time and when you need quick retouching.

If I am wrong with amount try different settings of high pass sharpening with combination of noise median.

For solid studio backgrounds you can go with rule 1:8 or even 1:10 or maybe even 1:12 , which mean if you choose high pass sharpening amount let's say 50 you can go up to amount 5 of noise median or different rules which I gave you.

Best
ST

Mar 17 16 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Bernard Wolf

Bernard Wolf wrote:
I don't have the image on a site I can link but I just blurred the floor with surface blur and did some patch tool to smooth out
some spots that the blur didn't take care of...and a little cloning and also neutralized the color a little.[/quot

http://s297.photobucket.com/user/wolfis … d.jpg.html

Mar 17 16 07:31 pm Link