Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > how to lighten skin tone in bikini model photos?

Photographer

Ava Photography

San Francisco, California, US

help, how do i best lighten model skin tone in bikini model photos?

should i use lasso and/or magic wand to specify an area, or do it by zone (highlights, midrange tones, shadows), tweaking exposure and/or brightness, and/or use a layer, or what?

i am using the latest photoshop and lightroom at the moment but i also have coreldraw.

thanks in advance for any pointers.

Mar 16 16 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

The best way to lighten skin depends on where you start and how much to lighten.
If it is a RAW file, some, to all the work can be done in ACR/LR. I can list 10 ways,
they all work, but I don't know the best for you.

For selections,  almost the same thing, but color range is a pretty good and easy
to use method.

Mar 16 16 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ava Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I just tried the exposure route, but it led to noise trouble in the shadows.

so I tried simple fuzzy-circle-brush dodge tool, without selecting any regions, with which I seem to be able to avoid most if not almost all of the noise trouble in the shadows.

I have had indifferent (meaning big time sink but not much practical results) with color range in the past.  It seems worth a try for this particular purpose, though (thanks).  I may experiment with color range to be able to isolate to those regions of skin.

Mar 17 16 12:35 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

It really depends on what you mean by "lighten skin tone". Is it that you want all of the skin brighter? Is it that you want to add correct the brightness of certain areas? Is it that you want to add skin shine?

These are all different things.

You know - an image says a thousand words.

Mar 17 16 01:09 am Link

Retoucher

solaris

Bijeljina, Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina

You can try to pull blacks out of reds in selective color adjustment layer and simply paint on inverted layer mask over the skin, then you can play with blend if to decrease effect in shadows a bit. This will give more pale look to the skin.
But as others said, it depends what exact look you want to achieve.

Mar 17 16 03:54 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

If you have the raw file, give the Local Adjustment Brush in LR or ACR a try. You should get better results in the raw processor.

Mar 17 16 07:08 am Link

Retoucher

E Thompson Photography wrote:
If you have the raw file, give the Local Adjustment Brush in LR or ACR a try. You should get better results in the raw processor.

Not true.

Example: applying a steep adjustment curve in ACR vs Photoshop: in ACR the banding appears much earlier. I haven't made tests with the latest 2 versions but so far during the years this has been the consistent pattern. Obviously Photoshop's adjustment algorithms are better (+ you have much more control).

Mar 17 16 08:18 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

anchev wrote:

Not true.

Example: applying a steep adjustment curve in ACR vs Photoshop: in ACR the banding appears much earlier. I haven't made tests with the latest 2 versions but so far during the years this has been the consistent pattern. Obviously Photoshop's adjustment algorithms are better (+ you have much more control).

I can see how that would apply...Anchev. In my experience in using this method, I've not had a banding problem. I'm not making large shifts in exposure, usually no more than 1/2 a stop, as I'm using this method to match the luminosity of a face with a body most because the face is darker that the body due to sun exposure. I'll give your method a try however.

Mar 17 16 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

Skin tones have 3 components to them.  The Hue...thats the skin color.  The Saturation...thats how much color intensity.  AND Luminance or Tone or Brightness...thats how light the underlying B+W tones are underneath that color. 

To lighten bikini skin you would add in some underlying brightness to the skin that did not disturb the colors or the textures.

For me,  I use a clean, clear, transparent adjustment layers...located on the half circle icon on the bottom of the main Layers Pallet.  You can use curves or levels.  When get into your curve... pull the RGB curve up from the center about 1/2 unit.  You will see your image and skin lighten amazingly.  This a global adjustment and affects all of the image.  Leave the adjustment just a little bit lighter than you need.  NOW, for the good stuff!! Hit command or control I to invert the layers white mask into a black mask.  When you do this...your brightening will disappear.

You do your magic with adjustment layers by painting on that black mask with a LOW opacity 4% soft white brush.  As you paint with the white brush...you will be brightening just the underlying skin brightness.  You DO NOT need any nasty un-accurate selections...just paint on the skin with the brush.  You will have to go over it 10 times to get a full lightening effect on the skin with such low opacity...but at least your strokes wont ever show!

The advantage of adjustment layers is that they are clean, clear, totally adjustable, they can do lightening, or color correction, and you can change your artistic mind without time or quality penalties. And NO selections needed.

Depending on your skin situation...you might need a second adjustment layer to do even more selective lightening...but you can use as many adjustment layers as you want or need.  Remember...you can paint in this lightness under the skin anywhere you want... and however strong you want it to be artistically.  It is very powerful to be able to paint with light... under complete artistic control... after the fact.   

Later on...you can use an adjustment layer to paint Playboy skin color onto your models...just go into the Red and Blue Curve Channels on the curve panels.  On the red curve channel go to the top right point... pull the top end point left just a bit... and then go to the blue curve channel... and pull the top end point down and to the right a little...that will give you the bright healthy skin colors you see in production magazines...and you can adjust it till you get just the exact color corrections YOU like the best.  Just keep on adjusting the curve till the artist in you is happy.

Good luck.

Ray

Mar 17 16 03:02 pm Link

Retoucher

E Thompson Photography wrote:

I can see how that would apply...Anchev. In my experience in using this method, I've not had a banding problem. I'm not making large shifts in exposure, usually no more than 1/2 a stop, as I'm using this method to match the luminosity of a face with a body most because the face is darker that the body due to sun exposure. I'll give your method a try however.

It is not really my method. Just sharing what I have found. Or course I am discussing extreme cases because only in extreme cases the actual issues can be found and compared. If one only wants to keep the work in LR and not retouch images in Photoshop - one can use the tools in LR.

The main point is that the very process of raw conversion is a destructive operation and the more adjustments you make in this step, the more you add to the destruction, especially if it is a local adjustment. So if you are going to retouch the image, the only thing I recommend doing in raw conversion is WB and exposure and even those should be done carefully.

I think I have mentioned this before: actually even WB adjustment is destructive because the original hardware WB is the so called UniWB + it is linear. Any process which moves the data bits away from the original linear raw sensor data is already a change, i.e. a destruction. But as it is fairly tricky to adjust WB with adjustment layers and keeping the linear data is not something ACR offers, for general use in a 16-bit workflow it is acceptable. But if you want to squeeze every bit of quality from the original data, then you should start as raw as possible.

Mar 17 16 03:21 pm Link