Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Can light be made less harsh in post-processing?

Photographer

Shawn Wright Photo

Niagara Falls, New York, US

I took a few photos at a club event this past weekend, including some of a friend who was DJing the first of a monthly dance event that she and another DJ have begun. She appreciated the photos, as she likes her events documented, but she feels that the photos are unflattering because the light makes her look old and tired due to the harshness of the light, which came from my on-camera speedlight. I understand her concerns, though I don't fully agree, but I'd like to do some further work on the shots to make them more to her liking. Is there anything that I can do to remedy this?

Feb 29 16 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

curves, levels and selective color can all bring down the highlights.
you can use a luminosity mask with them also. I first check the
channels to see if there is info in green channel and might use
channel mixer. or change it to the highlights value I want in ACR
if a RAW file.

Feb 29 16 09:57 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Shawn Wright Photo wrote:
Is there anything that I can do to remedy this?

It depends on the shot. Sometimes it is possible to edit shadow edges and make things look softer but if there are highly reflective objects (glasses etc) or strong skin shine it is quite possible the result to look faked. Without RAW example it is difficult to give "yes" or "no" answer.

Feb 29 16 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

I ALWAYS convert the RAW file three times, one with the exposure slider all the way to the left, (underexposed), one with the exposure slider all the way to the right, (overexposed), and one with the exposure slider left alone - this one should be properly exposed to begin with. This way, you get as much information as possible from a single exposure. How to combine them is another story, and a long explanation, but you can take down highlights, and increase detail and "body" in the high-lit areas, up detail in the shadowed areas, and distribute the tones anyway you like. (I have never lost an important image because of lack of value range).
-Don
EDIT: The short answer is, yes.

Feb 29 16 11:03 am Link

Retoucher

Don Garrett wrote:
I ALWAYS convert the RAW file three times, one with the exposure slider all the way to the left, (underexposed), one with the exposure slider all the way to the right, (overexposed), and one with the exposure slider left alone - this one should be properly exposed to begin with. This way, you get as much information as possible from a single exposure. How to combine them is another story, and a long explanation, but you can take down highlights, and increase detail and "body" in the high-lit areas, up detail in the shadowed areas, and distribute the tones anyway you like. (I have never lost an important image because of lack of value range).
-Don

You can not get more information from the RAW file by developing it N times. If it is separate RAW files shot in the camera at different exposure - this is a completely different thing. But moving a fixed amount of bits up or down does not give you more information. In a 16 bit workflow it is pretty useless. You need good 1 exposure with proper WB and without histogram clipping. That's all that should be done at development stage if you are going to retouch the image further.

Feb 29 16 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Shawn Wright Photo

anchev wrote:
It depends on the shot. Sometimes it is possible to edit shadow edges and make things look softer but if there are highly reflective objects (glasses etc) or strong skin shine it is quite possible the result to look faked. Without RAW example it is difficult to give "yes" or "no" answer.

No glasses or shiny skin. I believe that her concern is with the harshness of the shadows that were caused by the speedlight, and after another look I agree with her.

Feb 29 16 12:40 pm Link

Retoucher

No glasses or shiny skin. I believe that her concern is with the shadows on her skin, which, after another look, really aren't especially flattering.

You can PM me the images if you don't want to share them publicly and I will tell you what can be done.

Feb 29 16 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

anchev wrote:
You can not get more information from the RAW file by developing it N times. If it is separate RAW files shot in the camera at different exposure - this is a completely different thing. But moving a fixed amount of bits up or down does not give you more information. In a 16 bit workflow it is pretty useless. You need good 1 exposure with proper WB and without histogram clipping. That's all that should be done at development stage if you are going to retouch the image further.

If there is ANY space on either side of the histogram, (which there usually is), you can increase, (or decrease, if you want), the range, and number of tones in that image, (or any image, for that matter). Clipping, in any image, usually, (but not always), relegates it to the trash can. But you have to understand the tonal range that is available after the RAW conversion(s), and the tools that manipulate it/them. You have to understand the histogram, how it relates to the image, and how to maximize it. (Not well known information).
-Don

Feb 29 16 01:29 pm Link

Retoucher

Thach of FotoHouse

Seattle, Washington, US

Can we see the images?  and yes it may be possible.

Mar 05 16 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Wright Photo

Sorry for taking so long to respond to everyone here. While I'd like some further assistance on this, it's going to have to be without the photos, as my friend requested that I not show them to anyone else, and I'm going to honor her request.

Mar 24 16 06:29 am Link

Retoucher

Sorry for taking so long to respond to everyone here. While I'd like some further assistance on this, it's going to have to be without the photos, as my friend requested that I not show them to anyone else, and I'm going to honor her request.

It's nice you are so considerate but ow exactly do you see retouching assistance without images? smile Every answer will be theoretical. 50 people will say "yes it is possible", another 50 will say "no, it is not possible", maybe someone will show something on a completely different and unrelated image, hence not helpful. It can easily become a lottery as we have seen in other threads.

Mar 24 16 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Wicked LA Pix

Yucaipa, California, US

anchev wrote:

It's nice you are so considerate but ow exactly do you see retouching assistance without images? smile Every answer will be theoretical. 50 people will say "yes it is possible", another 50 will say "no, it is not possible", maybe someone will show something on a completely different and unrelated image, hence not helpful. It can easily become a lottery as we have seen in other threads.

+1

Mar 24 16 07:20 am Link