Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Corel Painter 2016, any Painter users here?

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

They made me an offer I could not refuse, the download upgrade (LOVE that phrase!!) was $99 even though my last version was Painter X (10).

It's been years, they've made lots of improvements. Gotta dig out the old Intuos 3 - 6x11 and give it another spin.

My Photoshop CS will no longer run on El Capitan and I don't like the Adobe subscription model. My thoughts were to head in a different direction since I am completely bored with straight photography AND that I could use this version for a few years before I need anything else.

Do you use Painter? What do you like about it? What do you dislike? Thanks in advance!

Feb 22 16 08:45 am Link

Photographer

David T Thrower

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Bump. Really hoping someone replies, I don't know what to do about PS CC, and I've been using a crack of CS6 since January to learn and while I decide.

Apr 10 16 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

KModel Photography

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

For a digital artist creating original work Painter is a great tool, and is imo a viable alternative to Photoshop.  But for extensive photoediting and many other digital image processing tasks, my goto would still be PS.  At $99, you're looking at a fantastic deal for Painter. Just don't think of it as a general replacement for PS.

Apr 11 16 03:24 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

I think a lot of the new Painter capabilities are not useful for me but I could see where some people might enjoy them.

I always just want basic oil paint with blending that doesn't look too blurred or smudgy.

BTW based on this thread I found a $99 discount still active and used it. If you go without a discount Corel wants something like $225 for the upgrade. So thanks for the heads up.

Apr 11 16 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

For the Photoshop tools I use, I will probably get the latest version of Elements in the bundle with Premiere Elements.
Painter offers an entire universe of goodies that would be extremely difficult and tedious to duplicate in Photoshop.
I pulled my Intuos 3 tablet out, I think it is a 6x11 so medium sized. Have not plugged it in yet, busy with other projects.

Glad to see a few responses, I had given this thread up for dead!

Apr 11 16 11:30 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Maybe give Pixelmator a go then?

Apr 11 16 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

normad

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

R.EYE.R wrote:
Maybe give Pixelmator a go then?

Pixelmator is surprising good :-)
I've gone back to gimp, but I'm eyeing Krita as an alternative to Painter for a project ...

Apr 11 16 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Bartcephus

Mount Pleasant, Texas, US

Painter is not really a retouching tool.  Painter is a graphic design/artist tool.  It is awesome.  For retouching I use Corel's Paintshop Pro X9, for original art I use Painter 2016.  They are different tools for different uses.  I don't like the subscription business Adobe requires.  Also, I like that the files can be used between the two, depending on what you want to do.

Oct 16 16 03:01 am Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Los Angeles, California, US

Nov 03 16 07:41 pm Link