Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How to describe a "LOOK"?

Model

Agnes Zee

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

We are making a short film "The Encounter" it is a Jungle Book story inspired by Disney

Dear editor and I are having some disagreement on things because we see things differently

He sees what our viewers want to see psychologically in terms of the detailing, I see things more like does it look cinematic, professional, or "Hollywood" enough from a general view

What exactly should I verbalize to him, when he is making another edit to get that "look"?

http://postimg.org/image/ngfwnfmpf/

This is the link of the comparison, the middle one is the original, the two besides are new edits that I think look more "Hollywood", but how can I verbalize it to him on how to do it?

The is the Disney poster

http://postimg.org/image/y2yn2c65d/

He wants to emulate that color scheme, but something doesn't seem to be working in my eyes, like it's not blended in a realistic way or the color? Only if I could put it into words of how cinematic should look like lol!

You guys here can probably word it to him better than I do?!

Feb 22 16 12:19 am Link

Model

Agnes Zee

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

This is my try of verbalizing it (regarding the original one in the middle), there are more but I gotta analyze it more

1. The snake on top and the snake on bottom, looked too different, top one blurry, bottom one sharp; top one is more purple tone, bottom one is more yellow tone; top one is less saturated and more faded, bottom one is more saturated and vibrant

2. The coloring of the "The Encounter" looks quite "low budget indie film" (even though in reality it really is lol) and not "expensive hollywood movie", and also the " A Jungle Book Story" green shadow make the words hard to read and more that "indie film" look, maybe a neutral color would be better

Feb 22 16 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

What's the point of describing a picture when you can actually look at it?

Look up tables (LUTs) are one of the correct technical ways to describe looks. But it is much more than a "color scheme". Color is just one component.

Feb 22 16 03:24 am Link

Model

Agnes Zee

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

George Anchev wrote:
What's the point of describing a picture when you can actually look at it?

Look up tables (LUTs) are one of the correct technical ways to describe looks. But it is much more than a "color scheme". Color is just one component.

Thanks, my thoughts exactly, it's like describing to people in words how do mangosteen taste like, there is no way to know until you eat it

Feb 22 16 08:52 am Link

Model

Agnes Zee

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

POLL:

Which one of the three posters you guys like the most?

and WHY?

Feb 22 16 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Agnes Zee wrote:
POLL:

Which one of the three posters you guys like the most?

and WHY?

I like this one because it shows something real and creates a feeling of liking.

Feb 22 16 09:55 am Link

Model

Agnes Zee

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

George Anchev wrote:

I like this one because it shows something real and creates a feeling of liking.

hahaha thank you for liking me, although this won't be a poster that sells for the particular film we are making

Feb 22 16 10:35 am Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

I generally shy away from critiquing, because even though it is generally constructive, not everyone takes it well. You're asking, so I will just share some insight: When I look at the movie poster examples and compare where you are versus where you want to go, it's very much night and day. You are asking how to describe what you want more clearly to your digital artist, but you already have a visual example of the look, which you've shared with the artist. From that alone, I believe that if your digital artist was at anywhere near that skill level, you should have much better results at this point.

It seems as if you are asking for the high quality and professional results from an artist who is just not yet on that level. It's like you're pushing a second year hobby gymnast to perform at the level of an olympian, no amount of pushing, prodding and will power is going to make that happen, he/she is simple not there yet, skill wise.

Feb 22 16 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Steven Burnette Retouch wrote:
I generally shy away from critiquing, because even though it is generally constructive, not everyone takes it well. You're asking, so I will just share some insight: When I look at the movie poster examples and compare where you are versus where you want to go, it's very much night and day. You are asking how to describe what you want more clearly to your digital artist, but you already have a visual example of the look, which you've shared with the artist. From that alone, I believe that if your digital artist was at anywhere near that skill level, you should have much better results at this point.

One difficulty is the source material. Granted, it's CGI and composited, but much of the look in the Disney poster is due to lighting, overall composition, and shading, with grading being the final polish. Trying to get the same 'look' with very different source material can be tricky until/unless you can identify the parts of the example poster you want to incorporate.

Sure, a flat image can be handed over to a top retoucher, and they can make it into anything desired, but there aren't anywhere near as many of such top retouchers out there as you'd think based on the # of Ps licenses.

Feb 22 16 09:13 pm Link

Digital Artist

Joe Diamond

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

instead of writing pages you can post a tf request and get the job done for free and way better

Feb 23 16 08:37 am Link

Model

Agnes Zee

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Joe Diamond wrote:
instead of writing pages you can post a tf request and get the job done for free and way better

That's actually a great advice! When I post castings here, it asks for city specifically, since it will be all done remotely, what cities has the most digital artists for me to use the casting calls on?

Feb 23 16 11:54 pm Link

Model

Agnes Zee

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Kevin Connery wrote:

One difficulty is the source material. Granted, it's CGI and composited, but much of the look in the Disney poster is due to lighting, overall composition, and shading, with grading being the final polish. Trying to get the same 'look' with very different source material can be tricky until/unless you can identify the parts of the example poster you want to incorporate.

Sure, a flat image can be handed over to a top retoucher, and they can make it into anything desired, but there aren't anywhere near as many of such top retouchers out there as you'd think based on the # of Ps licenses.

Thank you! That's very helpful for us to understand more!

Ya I've seen those youtube videos of how the pros do it, way too technical for the average people, but very fun to watch

Feb 23 16 11:56 pm Link

Model

Agnes Zee

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

WOW thanks to all my haters and supporters, my latest film has been massively successful!

I am so grateful and happy!!!!

Yay!!!

Click like to get a share of my good luck!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-bV94OyQo

Sep 15 16 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

Steven Burnette Retouch wrote:

It seems as if you are asking for the high quality and professional results from an artist who is just not yet on that level. It's like you're pushing a second year hobby gymnast to perform at the level of an olympian, no amount of pushing, prodding and will power is going to make that happen, he/she is simple not there yet, skill wise.

This . The work is not emulated at all , the post work is not up to the same par as the disney movie poster at all . Cgi like effects can be done in photoshop with the right digital artist . but this digital artist does not have the talent to render such a work yet or to me it looks like they were not trying to emulate the same style at all .

Sep 18 16 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

as far as how do you explain , you simply say I wan this look and if they cannot give it to you then you move onto a different digital artist .

Sep 18 16 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

also like with food and clothes etc , taste and style comes into play here . your taste and style are totally different than the digital artists taste . it may be his taste to do stuff his way and this other poster by disney is def a different taste and style txt either he wont do because again style or he cannot stretch himself to do or move out of his comfort zone .

Edit:  also just noticed brought back from the dead post , sorry ....

Sep 18 16 01:08 pm Link