Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Which one is the best?

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

Hi guys,

Im suppose to buy an apple computer.  But I have no idea which one is the best for retouching.  Just wondering which one to use.  Apple desktop machine or a laptop?

Feb 22 16 12:12 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

Either way you'll need a decent monitor if you're serious about retouching. A laptop (MacBook Pro) or a Mac Mini with a good monitor will serve you very well for retouching.

Feb 22 16 04:32 am Link

Retoucher

Greg Curran

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Apple Mac Pro
2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache
64GB (4 x 16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
1TB PCIe-based flash storage
Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

EIZO monitor
ColorEdge CG318-4K 31.1" (79 cm) Hardware Calibration LCD Monitor

Wacom Tablet Medium
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen … pro-medium
I have all 3 sizes, prefer the medium

thats what I would buy,
if you want, you can pick 2 up and send me one, LOL

Feb 22 16 06:33 am Link

Retoucher

solaris

Bijeljina, Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Yeah that's very nice, and very costly configuration lol
But definitely desktop version in favor of laptop for serious retouching, with large color calibrated monitor. And wacom tablet is a must.

Feb 22 16 09:24 am Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

As others mentioned, either Mac desktop or laptop will do (I prefer a desktop, but mobility may be more important to you). The latest Macs are more than capable. I have the old G5 (cheese grater) and that thing is still going strong. Focus on getting a good monitor and invest in RAM (Photoshop has a big appetite for it when those layers start stacking up).

Feb 22 16 01:53 pm Link

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

Thank you everyone.  Now I know what to buy.  I have a wecome medium tab smile

Feb 22 16 08:25 pm Link

Retoucher

Tia Jones Retoucher

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have mac book pro and I do all my work on it it works pretty well. I would like a desktop, but that's only if I'm making a significant amount of money to invest in a home office. My macbook:

Macbook Pro 2012 15 in
2.6 Gz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Excellent computer! Its 3 years old and still just works almost as well as it did when I first bought it. When I first got I was able to run the Creative Suite and Autodesk Maya at the same time with no problem. It even handles video rendering pretty well. So running Capture One, Lightroom, Bridge and Photoshop CC on it is no trouble at all. I don't plan to worry about investing in a new laptop until this one just gives out.

I would put more priority and to getting a good laptop first. Then also get a powerful desktop. Both are great to have.
There are pros and cons to both. A good powerful laptop may be a little expensive especially if its Apple. But it is a great investment. Also, if you are starting out in a field (possibly freelance) I would think it would be ideal to have a portable workspace over an office. But ultimately its up to you what works best.

<strong>Laptop: </strong>
Pros:
Allows mobility if you travel or move around lot during the day, but you still want to freelance. It allows you to work in different spaces, so won't have to be stuck at a desk the whole day. It's also great for working with clients if they want to see your workflow (say when your meeting with them at a coffee shop). You have your work on your laptop right there for them to see. Lastly, it appears many companies are beginning to put more priority in design powerful yet somewhat affordable laptop. You can even plug your laptop screen to another larger monitor if needed.

Cons:
You may still be limited when it comes to power of the laptop, especially if its a MAC considering macs do not allow alot of customization as far as upgrade its parts for power and speed. Also, if you have a laptop it easier to drop/get stolen lol. Smaller screen

<strong>Desktop</strong>
Pros: Typically much powerful and more capable of being upgraded to higher power and speeds especially if PC. Great to have in a professional work space. Normally larger storage availability and memory. Possibly a larger screen. When you are at a desk your are less likely to get distracted (especially if moving the computer around is not an option) lol.

Cons: Not portable sad. You can't take it anywhere with you or even move to work in a more comfortable spot other than your desk.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
-Tia

Feb 26 16 09:09 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I've watched many of the X-rite webinars and they do use Apple notebooks, but they feed into the Eizo CG-series monitors for final analysis.

A few months back I went looking for an Apple 27" Thunderbolt and found it was awful for shadow detail when you get down into the RGB=0, and then RGB=1 and 2 numbers and seeing the difference (Hint: You can't!).  Nice for movies and webphotos in SRGB space, but if its for someone serious in printing in a broader color Adobe RGB spectrum I wouldn't touch it for lack of detail.  It's very contrasty, glossy screen, and over-saturated.  I've heard some film colorists in Hollywood complain about Apple making it "Consumerized" and not as well geared to the "Pro" market any more.

So Eizo did a show along with the new PhaseOne 100 MP cameras in LA and, yeah, their monitors show shadow detail far better when plugged into the Apple "Trashcan" Mac Pro they had set up.  But for the 24" or 31" with the two built-in sensors (Ambient and screen both.) and its calibrators and certified screen calibration, your looking at serious cash: ~$3K or $6K respectively for size.  A colorist (i.e. Colorist is to video what a Retoucher is to photo, imho.) was there buying four 31" Eizo units to replace their Thunderbolt screens for lack of shadow detail in gaming where they often hide stuff.

Feb 26 16 10:37 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Tia Jones Retoucher wrote:
I have mac book pro and I do all my work on it it works pretty well. I would like a desktop, but that's only if I'm making a significant amount of money to invest in a home office. My macbook:

Macbook Pro 2012 15 in
2.6 Gz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Excellent computer! Its 3 years old and still just works almost as well as it did when I first bought it. When I first got I was able to run the Creative Suite and Autodesk Maya at the same time with no problem. It even handles video rendering pretty well. So running Capture One, Lightroom, Bridge and Photoshop CC on it is no trouble at all. I don't plan to worry about investing in a new laptop until this one just gives out.

I would put more priority and to getting a good laptop first. Then also get a powerful desktop. Both are great to have.
There are pros and cons to both. A good powerful laptop may be a little expensive especially if its Apple. But it is a great investment. Also, if you are starting out in a field (possibly freelance) I would think it would be ideal to have a portable workspace over an office. But ultimately its up to you what works best.

<strong>Laptop: </strong>
Pros:
Allows mobility if you travel or move around lot during the day, but you still want to freelance. It allows you to work in different spaces, so won't have to be stuck at a desk the whole day. It's also great for working with clients if they want to see your workflow (say when your meeting with them at a coffee shop). You have your work on your laptop right there for them to see. Lastly, it appears many companies are beginning to put more priority in design powerful yet somewhat affordable laptop. You can even plug your laptop screen to another larger monitor if needed.

Cons:
You may still be limited when it comes to power of the laptop, especially if its a MAC considering macs do not allow alot of customization as far as upgrade its parts for power and speed. Also, if you have a laptop it easier to drop/get stolen lol. Smaller screen

<strong>Desktop</strong>
Pros: Typically much powerful and more capable of being upgraded to higher power and speeds especially if PC. Great to have in a professional work space. Normally larger storage availability and memory. Possibly a larger screen. When you are at a desk your are less likely to get distracted (especially if moving the computer around is not an option) lol.

Cons: Not portable sad. You can't take it anywhere with you or even move to work in a more comfortable spot other than your desk.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
-Tia

I must say Tia, I have the same laptop as you but when I received it I immediately replaced the 4gb of ram with 16gb and the 750gb hard drive with a 480gb solid state drive. The laptop's DVD drive was replaced with the 750gb hard drive that came in it. The SSD has the operating system and applications on it. So upgrading it very doable even with limited computer skills. It's not my primary post compute, I have a desktop for that but it's mainly used for tethering and limited post when away from my desktop. If your interested in increasing the performance of your Mac Book Pro, look at Other World Computing's website. It's very informative.

Feb 26 16 11:38 am Link

Retoucher

Tia Jones Retoucher

Atlanta, Georgia, US

E Thompson Photography wrote:

I must say Tia, I have the same laptop as you but when I received it I immediately replaced the 4gb of ram with 16gb and the 750gb hard drive with a 480gb solid state drive. The laptop's DVD drive was replaced with the 750gb hard drive that came in it. The SSD has the operating system and applications on it. So upgrading it very doable even with limited computer skills. It's not my primary post compute, I have a desktop for that but it's mainly used for tethering and limited post when away from my desktop. If your interested in increasing the performance of your Mac Book Pro, look at Other World Computing's website. It's very informative.

Thank you! I will check that out.

Feb 26 16 03:37 pm Link