Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Retouch Pricing Question

Retoucher

Corey Schroeder

Austin, Texas, US

Hello,

I've been using photoshop for years, and I've recently decided to get more serious about offering my retouching services.
I've posted a handful of threads on this forum, and have received tons of great advise - so I wanted to reach out to discuss pricing with some professionals.

I've had a number of photographers request my rates, and I'm sure I look like a deer in headlights.
I really have no idea what to charge.

Most photographers seem to request that super high-end editorial/fashion style retouch.
Which takes time....  Several hours of time.

I figured $25/hr would be a fair rate for such work.
Some people don't have a problem with this price, but most people reply with something like:
"Well the guy I'm using right now only charges me $5/photo"...

Ok, so maybe its not always "$5/photo", but its usually some incredibly ridiculous price.
Is this photographers just trying to get work on the cheap, or are there legitimately people out there that charge almost nothing for a significant amount of work?

I really enjoy retouching - but I can't work for $2/hr - I have bills that need to be paid..

So, am I being unreasonable in requesting $25/hr?
What are you charging?
What is the going rate in the industry?

I know this is kind of a vague question, but some guidance would be very helpful.
I don't want to price myself out of projects, but at the same time, I need to value the time I put into projects.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Feb 13 16 05:06 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Your rates have to be based on what you are selling. IF you show work that's not good enough, you won't get to the big bucks.. first always make sure of what you are selling is really good.

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have

Feb 13 16 05:30 pm Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

London, England, United Kingdom

I will try to help.
I saw your casting calls. What the High End means to you Corey? This is important.
Also have you any 25$/hour photo in your portfolio?

Feb 13 16 10:37 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Christian Bela wrote:
I will try to help.
I saw your casting calls. What the High End means to you Corey? This is important.
Also have you any 25$/hour photo in your portfolio?

$25 dollars is not high end.

Feb 14 16 02:34 am Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

London, England, United Kingdom

The Invisible Touch wrote:
$25 dollars is not high end.

Depends on where you live.
I know some retouchers and few of them offer REAL high end/magazine/top quality work for 25-50$ per photo or hour because in those countries (like mid EU) that money is good.
I asked him what the High End means to him because it could be anything. To help him we should know his expectations and what he thinks about his own work.

Feb 14 16 02:58 am Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

In the real world of hi end retouching rates can go from the mid 30s to 75-100$ an hr. I personally think 25$ is on the low side BUT most photographers on MM are not expecting to pay that kind of money.

Feb 14 16 07:49 am Link

Retoucher

Corey Schroeder

Austin, Texas, US

Thank you all for your reply.

@Christian Bela - I would say my most recent upload (the first (pink) image in my portfolio) would fall in the $25/hr spectrum.  The other images no so much.
I have many more photographs that I could upload, however I feel that pink image is my best work yet.
I would consider this level of retouching to be "high end" in my mind.

*EDIT - I was requested to remove this image by the photographer, as it was recently accepted for publication in a magazine - it will be posted at the end of this month, once the magazine issue has been released.

@The Invisible Touch - you say to dress for the job you want...  Are none of my photos worthy of $25/hr?
If they are all garbage, I would like to know what I can do to bring up my skill level.
I feel that there are many mediocre retouchers floating around the web - excessive blurring / sharpening, and unrealistic contrast with d/b.
I've spent many years studying the human form, muscle groups, lighting, etc.  I feel that I have a fairly solid understanding of how all of these elements work together.  If you disagree, I would love to know what I can do to take my work to the next level.

And $25/hr may not seem high-end to you... But what I'm asking is - what IS a fair price to charge for "high end".
I live in the United States - $25/hr is a very livable wage.   Sure, I'm not going to be a millionaire any time soon, but I will certainly be able to pay my bills and save a little cash in the meantime.

@Box Top Photography - this is what I'm talking about...  Photographers on MM seem to be dependant on the various people trying to build up their portfolio - so if they are willing to pay you for your time (which seems to be very rare), they will only offer $5-$10/photo...  Not per hour... PER PHOTO.
How can I spend 3+ hours on an image to only make $10.   
Then I have to pay tax on that $10.
No thank you.

Maybe I need to stick around MM just to keep tabs on what people in the industry are doing - then focus my time finding work on the local level, not on MM.

Feb 14 16 09:38 am Link

Retoucher

Ivan Zayats Retouch

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus

"I've been using photoshop for years..." bla-bla-bla, nobody cares! If you can't provide HQ result, nobody will pay much. build up a good portfolio first, keep training, improve your skills.

The next point is hourly payment. Again, nobody cares how much time you spend. The clients don't buy your time, they buy the result! "How can I spend 3+ hours on an image to only make $10". If you can't, there are 2 ways: a) find another job (not retouching), b) improve your skills. There are a lot of retouchers from Russia, Ukraine and some other countries who CAN provide better result for these money which makes your work uncompetitive. Frankly speaking, your portfolio looks amateurish, so it's quite funny to speak about high-end retouch and rates in this case.

"I live in the United States" - your own problem, lol:) you may consider moving somewhere else.
People from Russia, Belarus, Ukraine are happy to get those 10$ per image, because an average salary in their countries is about 300$ per month. So, if a freelancer does 2 images a day, he is twice wealthier than a doctor, a teacher or any other average person. That's why they can keep their prices at this level and feel good. Moreover, they often don't pay any taxes and use cracked version of Photoshop for free - another big secret to reduce costs:)

Feb 14 16 11:42 am Link

Retoucher

Corey Schroeder

Austin, Texas, US

*EDIT - I deleted my reply to @Ivancoart - I remembered that it solves nothing to argue with people like this guy...

Thanks to everyone who was respectful and helpful.

Feb 14 16 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Corey Schroeder wrote:

@Christian Bela - I would say my most recent upload (the first (pink) image in my portfolio) would fall in the $25/hr spectrum.

At the time of writing, there are only three images in your portfolio: one uploaded on April 6th, 2015, and the other two on April 3rd, 2015 (i.e. all within a week of of joining MM), and none of which of are obviously pink, unless you are referring to the shade of lipstick.

Nevertheless, your central problem remains that you are competing with retouchers from eastern europe and third world countries, for whom $5 or $10 is a lot of money.

Feb 14 16 04:24 pm Link

Retoucher

Aaron Ford

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Rob Photosby wrote:
Nevertheless, your central problem remains that you are competing with retouchers from eastern europe and third world countries, for whom $5 or $10 is a lot of money.

You're only competing against them if you choose to compete against them, any half decent restaurant isn't loosing sleep over McDonald's selling $2 'burgers', they're both offering very different products & services to very different target markets.   

It's pretty simple - Don't waste your time on photographers with $10/per image budgets, focus on collaborating/portfolio building with the right clients and place yourself in the actual market you want to be in.

Feb 14 16 05:07 pm Link

Retoucher

Ivan Zayats Retouch

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus

Corey Schroeder wrote:
*EDIT - I deleted my reply to @Ivancoart - I remembered that it solves nothing to argue with people like this guy...

hohoho, you don't like honest and straightforward people? your problems
I'm not going to argue as well, just expressed my opinion smile

Feb 14 16 11:13 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Christian Bela wrote:
Depends on where you live.
I know some retouchers and few of them offer REAL high end/magazine/top quality work for 25-50$ per photo or hour because in those countries (like mid EU) that money is good.
I asked him what the High End means to him because it could be anything. To help him we should know his expectations and what he thinks about his own work.

Location has nothing to do with having the access to work with High End clients. One think is the value of $25 in your country and another thing is how much money you can get paid if you really get to work with the big high end clients, which trust me is far more substantial than those $25. My point is that you don't set the budget, they do.. big campaigns normally don't ask how much you get paid, they have a budget for retouching which you either work with or not (trust me Huge budgets).

$25 retouching is low end regardless where you live, I understand that this amount would make such a big difference in live depending where you live and that's great but don't set that rate as high end because simply is not.

High End clients:

Editorial in Vogue you can get up to €1000 for the whole job normally being about 8/10 images, the same goes or even more sometimes for any other big magazine.

Advertising work for any high end campaign prices could start at €150 and from there it goes up depending the client/budget but imagine working for Prada, this could convert into €1000 per image.

Feb 15 16 03:22 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Box Top Photography wrote:
In the real world of hi end retouching rates can go from the mid 30s to 75-100$ an hr. I personally think 25$ is on the low side BUT most photographers on MM are not expecting to pay that kind of money.

I agree! But you have to remember that most of the photographers in MM aren't high end photographers.

Feb 15 16 03:25 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Corey Schroeder wrote:
you say to dress for the job you want...  Are none of my photos worthy of $25/hr?

Unfortunately not in my opinion! :-)

Corey Schroeder wrote:
If they are all garbage, I would like to know what I can do to bring up my skill level.
I feel that there are many mediocre retouchers floating around the web - excessive blurring / sharpening, and unrealistic contrast with d/b.
I've spent many years studying the human form, muscle groups, lighting, etc.  I feel that I have a fairly solid understanding of how all of these elements work together.  If you disagree, I would love to know what I can do to take my work to the next level.

Learn how to work without using FS, learn about lighting an image, D&B properly and the most important and difficult thing.. colour

Corey Schroeder wrote:
And $25/hr may not seem high-end to you... But what I'm asking is - what IS a fair price to charge for "high end".
I live in the United States - $25/hr is a very livable wage.   Sure, I'm not going to be a millionaire any time soon, but I will certainly be able to pay my bills and save a little cash in the meantime.

One thing is paying your bills and think that $25 dollars is a decent amount of money and another one is talking about professional retouching... if you get there, trust me, you will get paid at least $150 per image.

Feb 15 16 03:29 pm Link

Retoucher

ST Retouch

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

The Invisible Touch wrote:
Location has nothing to do with having the access to work with High End clients. One think is the value of $25 in your country and another thing is how much money you can get paid if you really get to work with the big high end clients, which trust me is far more substantial than those $25. My point is that you don't set the budget, they do.. big campaigns normally don't ask how much you get paid, they have a budget for retouching which you either work with or not (trust me Huge budgets).

$25 retouching is low end regardless where you live, I understand that this amount would make such a big difference in live depending where you live and that's great but don't set that rate as high end because simply is not.

High End clients:

Editorial in Vogue you can get up to €1000 for the whole job normally being about 8/10 images, the same goes or even more sometimes for any other big magazine.

Advertising work for any high end campaign prices could start at €150 and from there it goes up depending the client/budget but imagine working for Prada, this could convert into €1000 per image.

I agree that geographic location means nothing in serious job.

For example if you play NBA league and  if you are from from eastern Europe or third world it doesn't mean that you play for $6000 /per year, you play for millions per year if you can score 30 points in match.

In photography and retouching job I know many photographers and retouchers from eastern Europe who charge serious industry rates and who work serious campaigns.

High end clients are not magazines , shooting and  retouching for magazines is nothing , rates are low .

High end clients are companies, brands, serious AD agencies and rates are much more than you wrote.

Industry retouching rates are from $150- $600 per hour ( average rate is $300/hour ) .

Average campaign within 6-8 files costs from $10000- $20000 per campaign , just for retouching.
Serious campaigns cost a lot ,tens and hundreds of thousands dollars , photographers, team, retouchers, locations. models. model releases. property releases , commercial licenses etc, it depends , if companies use famous faces or famous photographers which cost a lot.

If we speak about serious files ( not basic fashion files) which need much more than skin clean-up and color correction/grading, files where top highly skilled retouching agencies  and teams provide including matte painting, composite work, CGI work , rates are much more expensive.
Rates per file are up to $10000 even more if agencies ask for licenses for commercial purposes.

Or for example 3D retouching for serious video games where just one serious 3d character costs around $5000 with rigging, or when one 3D complex background with a lot of elements and complex rendering costs $20000 per file.

Rates above are rates which established agencies charge.

If you are highly skilled freelance retoucher with a lot of experience and knowledge you can work as a freelance retoucher for other agencies , rates are $60-$120 per hour , it depends on your skill, agency, clients etc.

Best
ST

Feb 15 16 03:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Ivan Zayats Retouch

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus

guys, I still don't understand how do you charge per hour??
the clients need the RESULT, don't they?! perhaps, I misunderstand something. let's make it clear. do you set the price before you start working on a particular project/series/image? how do you know for sure how much time it will take? OR you tell the client after the work is done: "well, it took... (surprise) 6 hours per image!" how can the clients plan their budget then? (to avoid such surprises)

p.s. being a photographer I used to work with retouchers and always paid per image.

Feb 16 16 08:19 am Link

Retoucher

ME_retouching

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I used to charge only by the hour, but most retail photographers (like what are here on MM) can't process that. They don't understand an hourly rate. So I changed and outlined what I do for $X per photo (generally basic retouching and corrections); and what type of work is beyond / more complicated than that, for which I charge hourly.

Then when I get an inquiry, I have them send a brief on what they want and low-res versions of the photos so that I can come back with a reasonable quote. That quote will either be "basic retouching of X pictures at Y dollars for a total of Z; or "The estimate is X hours at $X per hour."

I am pretty good with getting my time estimates right and I'd imagine most people who have some experience are too. It's not too hard, as long as they provide a brief of what they want.

Feb 16 16 01:35 pm Link