Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I am sure there are plenty of tips at:  http://vk.com/retouch_school

Feb 12 16 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Aberotica

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom

Hey - I was hoping to pick up some tips on the back of this post too, but I don't read cyrilic script. Bummer. sad

Feb 12 16 06:49 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Aberotica  wrote:
Hey - I was hoping to pick up some tips on the back of this post too, but I don't read cyrilic script. Bummer. sad

Sorry. There are some videos on the page, you can browse those. Quite a few are in English.
I think page navigation should be available in English though...

Feb 12 16 07:02 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

unleahsed wrote:
Skin looks like painted over....

So does some of the hair.

Easy way is to use the Makeover Tool > Suntan brush in Paintshop Pro X8 and paint the tan on.  It'll leave the shadows and highlights with the correct luminosity too.

Example: Tan applied via PaintShop Pro X8 Makeup > Suntan paintbrush at 65%:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160213/18/56bfe2c5de8f0.jpg

Feb 12 16 08:59 am Link

Retoucher

unleahsed

Kharkiv, Kharkivs'ka, Ukraine

Thanks!
I will try to find .

Feb 17 16 12:29 am Link

Retoucher

Removed_Account_532016

Sitrah, Sitrah, Bahrain

Another way you could try in PS is adding a channel mixer adjustment layer, check monochrome, set red: 0 green: 75 blue: 25 (just a starting point) and change the mode to luminosity. now invert the layer mask and paint on the skin. change the numbers to your liking, add a curve etc. to get where you want to.

Feb 17 16 06:03 am Link

Retoucher

Thach of FotoHouse

Seattle, Washington, US

Are you referring to the tone or the skin (dodge & burn skin smoothing)?

As far as the tone and look, sometimes it can be achieved by clicking the original image and going into the channels palette.
>click blue channel
>ctrl + A to grab a selection of the whole image
>go back into your layers and paste it
>set the blue channel layer you pasted to "multiply" and put it on about 70% opacity or targeted amount that you desire to darken the image
>select that same layer and go into image>adjustments>shadow & highlights
>adjust the shadows accordingly to how much of the shadow you want to recover

This should bring out some more details and give you a darker/tanner look on the skin contingent on what settings you give it. You can always add a bit more of reds/oranges to the shadows/midtone and desaturate it down.

Mar 05 16 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

There are always several ways to something in Photoshop.

One way is to use adjustment layers (curve).  They are clean, clear and transparent... and are totally controllable with their own layer mask and opacity adjustments.  The key would be to create a dark orange overlay color, invert the white mask to black using command/control I to invert the mask to black, then artistically paint in the darker orange color over the flesh with a 4% white soft brush to avoid seeing brush strokes.  This will allow you creatively and artistically apply the color exactly where you want it... and however deep you want it.  You may have to double up and copy the layer to get the deep golden brown color of your choice depending on the models original skin luminance.   Use the white brush to apply the effect of bronzing or tanning... and use the black brush to remove it.  You can adjust everything interactively and artistically using this workflow until you are artistically happy.

To make the dark golden orange color in curves... you would open up an adjustment layer at the bottom of the layers pallet.  Where it says RGB channel...pull down there to expose the red channel.  On the curve... click once high up on the right side of the curve line and pull it up... till your screen goes reddish.  Next change the Channel to Blue.  Again click higher up on the right side of the curve and then pull DOWN to get the blue to turn into yellow.  That yellow will make the picture now look golden.  To get the dark tan look you would go back to the RGB main channel and pull down the center of the RGB curve to make the light gold become dark orange.  Make it as dark as you want.  Because adjustment layers are transparent you will NOT be destroying or covering over any pixels underneath.  You can go back to any adjustment you made and RE-Adjust it to your creative liking at any time.  You could also add in some pulled down green channel to get a much more brown color to the skin.  You can duplicate the layer to make it twice as dark...then use the opacity slider on the new layer to make it not so strong so it looks good to you.  You may also want to try the multiply blending mode to get a real dark application too.

Remember...your black mask can be RE-Painted on again too at any time...so you might want to add some more bronze in some places...or make it weaker in other parts by painting on the mask with soft low opacity Black.

Realize that if your models natural skin is bright in luminance then youre  going to have a harder time making it dark looking.  Get a good original exposure on your image to help you out.   This dark skin effect needs a lower luminance skin in the original image to take on that new bronzing look easier.

You could always hire an airbrush makeup artist with a tanning airbrush too... dont even need Photoshop to do that! LOL.

Sometimes your gorgeous end product image will require you to work smartly in front of the camera with lighting, good exposures, proper model selection, and especially original makeup... as well as doing some Photoshop work after the shoot too.

Mar 05 16 03:03 pm Link