Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Finding Retouching Work

Retoucher

Corey Schroeder

Austin, Texas, US

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the retouching scene - I've been using Photoshop for a little over 10 years now, however I've never pursued  work in professional image retouching.

I'm currently in the process of developing a website to showcase the work I've done for various local photographers, as well as a few tfp jobs I've done through MM.

My question is this - what is the most professional way to go about soliciting your service?
Is it more beneficial to reach out to ad agencies I would want to work with, or reach out to photographers directly?

I don't know the "etiquette" for finding work in this trade, and I certainly don't want to sabotage my effort by going at it with the wrong approach.

Just looking for some industry advice from some seasoned pros.

If any of you would like to share your thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!
Corey

Feb 10 16 05:47 pm Link

Retoucher

Aaron Ford

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Good question smile

I've been retouching for five years and making a comfortable living for the past three. It can be a long process to begin with but some point's I've learned along the way.

- Focus on always building and improving your folio over money , better clients (and money) will naturally follow.

- Reach out to photographers over agencies to begin with.

- It's better to send out 10 short but well thought out emails to the 'right' people than sending out 100 emails to random photographers.

- To reinforce the above point, you don't need a lot of clients for success,  a smaller group of  *good* clients is the secret. (80/20 rule holds true)

- Offering collaboration on personal work is a good introduction (and feels less slimy) than cold emailing for paid work.

- Emails should be professional, but casual. Overally formal emails scream student/novice.

- Be confident. Approach clients as an equal. Never supplicate yourself.

- Focus on communicating what you have to offer them, instead of how they can help you or asking for a chance to prove yourself.

Generally, I wouldn't be overly concerned about sabotaging your efforts with the wrong approach - your going to make mistakes in dealing with clients no matter what, guaranteed.

It's a long process and you'll have lots of chances, so learn, experiment and figure out your own personal approach with the particular clients you want.

Jump in the deep end and go for it man smile

Feb 10 16 10:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Flat White Retouching

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Aaron Ford wrote:
Good question smile

I've been retouching for five years and making a comfortable living for the past three. It can be a long process to begin with but some point's I've learned along the way.

- Focus on always building and improving your folio over money , better clients (and money) will naturally follow.

- Reach out to photographers over agencies to begin with.

- It's better to send out 10 short but well thought out emails to the 'right' people than sending out 100 emails to random photographers.

- To reinforce the above point, you don't need a lot of clients for success,  a smaller group of  *good* clients is the secret. (80/20 rule holds true)

- Offering collaboration on personal work is a good introduction (and feels less slimy) than cold emailing for paid work.

- Emails should be professional, but casual. Overally formal emails scream student/novice.

- Be confident. Approach clients as an equal. Never supplicate yourself.

- Focus on communicating what you have to offer them, instead of how they can help you or asking for a chance to prove yourself.

Generally, I wouldn't be overly concerned about sabotaging your efforts with the wrong approach - your going to make mistakes in dealing with clients no matter what, guaranteed.

It's a long process and you'll have lots of chances, so learn, experiment and figure out your own personal approach with the particular clients you want.

Jump in the deep end and go for it man smile

Great advice! +1 smile

Feb 13 16 12:55 am Link

Retoucher

Corey Schroeder

Austin, Texas, US

Very helpful, thank you so much!!!

Feb 13 16 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

Feb 15 16 08:09 am Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

Well, if you want to work at advertising agencies or studios you can try your local temp agencies they can sometimes place retouchers if there is a demand. Warning though there is a lot more to retouching at an advertising agency than skin cleanup and color correcting. Good luck with your journey.

Feb 15 16 03:03 pm Link

Retoucher

Ivan Zayats Retouch

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus

Many pro retouchers admit that MM isn't the right/best place to find clients for high-end retouch who are able to pay good money. What about Behance?)

Feb 16 16 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

ivancoart wrote:
Many pro retouchers admit that MM isn't the right/best place to find clients for high-end retouch who are able to pay good money.

I confirm that too. Even more: The majority of people who post retouching jobs here are quite unprofessional in communication and expectations.

Feb 16 16 09:12 am Link

Retoucher

Ivan Zayats Retouch

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus

George Anchev wrote:
I confirm that too. Even more: The majority of people who post retouching jobs here are quite unprofessional in communication and expectations.

yes, it's clear after viewing their portfolios. one guy wrote me that he's got "almost magazine quality photos" and asked for TF. while in fact he's got only shitty amateur pics...

but at the same time I came across many strong portfolios here too

Feb 16 16 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

ivancoart wrote:
but at the same time I came across many strong portfolios here too

That is unrelated. One can have good presentation and still be impolite/unprofessional in communication.

Feb 18 16 01:40 am Link