Forums > Newbie Forum > Dealing withUnreliable/unprofessional photographer

Model

PentaclePrincess

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Feb 08 16 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You're not allowed to "out" anyone on MM.  The most you can really do is put a blurb in your profile that you do not recommend him.  You cannot broadcast an announcement to that effect.

Feb 08 16 01:59 pm Link

Model

PentaclePrincess

Feb 08 16 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have seen models profiles where they have a blurb that says " I do not recommend Photographer So and So MM# 00000006".  In some cases they have given a generic reason such as not providing images from a trade shoot.

While this might not seem fair, you need to understand that pretty much nothing that is written on this site is verified by anyone so any type of dispute is really just he said, she said.  If people could broadcast anything they wanted about anyone it would quickly become anarchy.  If you have a specific question about what you can say in your profile I would recommend that you contact a moderator.

You should also keep in mind that if you have a lot of negative comments in your profile about other people it may cause people to wonder if you're difficult to work with.  Just some food for thought.

Feb 08 16 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You also need to keep in mind that the majority of people on this site, both models and photographers are not professionals and they act like they are not professionals.  Photographers and models that bail at the last moment are unfortunately all too common.  It's just something you need to learn to deal with.

Feb 08 16 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/help/rules/ … e-behavior
Member Disputes
- Concerning bad working experiences, "Do not recommend MM# so-and-so" is the extent of the negative feedback we allow. You may provide more details when asked.

Top Gun Digital wrote:
I have seen models profiles where they have a blurb that says " I do not recommend Photographer So and So MM# 00000006".  In some cases they have given a generic reason such as not providing images from a trade shoot.

A reason is not allowed  on your profile.

ETA:  You definitely may share your experience with your local network of models.

Feb 08 16 02:21 pm Link

Model

PentaclePrincess

ok, Thanks for the info, Top Gun..

Feb 08 16 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

ehhhh - Wrong answer!  "Not up to the drive...."  Maybe he had a valid reason.  MM gives the benefit of the doubt so as not to get into a he said/she said war. 

Things happen in everyone's life and sometimes commitments can't be met.  We can all understand that.   

I had a scheduled shoot with a model and had an MUA scheduled.  Waited 1/2 hour then I left the model a message asking is everything ok.  (Sent the MUA home after an hour)  2 days later she responded - nothing was wrong, she was waiting for the location address.  Hmmmmmm.  It was in the photo information sheet that I sent you a second time which you acknowledged receiving. 
Humble apology accepted by me.  We shot a different concept a month later.  We were scheduled for another shoot today.  Friday I sent a message for her to please confirm. - Nothing.  Sent another message this morning - again NOTHING.

What can you do - move on.

Feb 08 16 02:25 pm Link

Model

Ereka Marcelino

Kihei, Hawaii, US

So you went ahead and just outed him even though it was explained that's not allowed???

Feb 08 16 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

IBTL    popcorn

Feb 08 16 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

PentaclePrincess wrote:

SO, I definately wont mention that the unprofessional/unreliable photog mentioned above is "Xxxxxxx Xxxx" mm#0000000..

Pretty hard to imagine that you didn't get the message that you are not allowed to "out" either a model or photographer in the forums.  It was pretty well spelled out for you.

It would probably be in your best interest to edit your post so that the photographer's name and MM # do not appear.  People have lost their accounts for less.

Feb 08 16 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Ereka Marcelino wrote:
So you went ahead and just outed him even though it was explained that's not allowed???

Well, another example of unprofessionalism.  I guess even though she heard what the rules were, she doesn't feel that they apply to the Princess.

Feb 08 16 02:33 pm Link

Model

Ereka Marcelino

Kihei, Hawaii, US

Mary Durante Youtt wrote:

Well, another example of unprofessionalism.  I guess even though she heard what the rules were, she doesn't feel that they apply to the Princess.

+1. Who looks unprofessional now? Pfffttt...

Feb 08 16 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

PentaclePrincess wrote:
Hello everyone. I just wanted to ask about the protocol in ... calling out an unreliable - unprofessional photographer.  ...

I want to post my dealings with this photog on MM, so that other models are aware, and dont waste a week of their time setting up something that obviously the photog had no intention of carrying through.

my question: Is this allowed on MM?

No, it's not allowed. 
1)  You are asking us to pass judgment without hearing the other side of the story.
2)  You potentially are creating a boatload of extra work for the moderators.
3)  Such "outings" can easily be abused.
We don't know you -- we have no reason to believe or disbelieve you.

So, sorry -- this is a grit your teeth & bear it sort of situation.

Here are some things you can do:
...  You don't have to work with this photographer ever again.
...  If you are asked for a reference, you can tell your sad story.
...  You can even tell your model friends (who know & trust you already) your story.
...  You can improve your screening process, to weed out these "unprofessionals".  For example:
     ---  Exchanging 50 e-mails to set up one session -- that's a yellow flag,
     ---  You can try checking references yourself,
     ---  There's a lot you can learn if you cast a critical eye on the photographer's portfolio.

In short, please find something more constructive to do with your time, and don't waste too much time punishing the photographers who disappoint you.

Feb 08 16 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mary Durante Youtt wrote:

I guess that's the reason we need to have the rules.

Feb 08 16 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

PentaclePrincess wrote:

SO, I definately wont mention that the unprofessional/unreliable photog mentioned above is

OP...You  are getting great advice...Then to repost the photographer name and #number....

Feb 08 16 02:43 pm Link

Model

PentaclePrincess

Feb 08 16 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

OP...

Have you ever heard of this....She/He Said.

Feb 08 16 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

interesting that he bailed even after paying an upfront fee. it's hard for us to know because we usually don't get both sides and when we do it's often a big mess (get some popcorn).

the fact that it took 50 emails to book a shoot is also interesting. was he trying to talk himself into it? were you trying to talk him into it?

hope you have better luck next time.

Feb 08 16 03:28 pm Link

Model

PentaclePrincess

ontherocks wrote:
interesting that he bailed even after paying an upfront fee. it's hard for us to know because we usually don't get both sides and when we do it's often a big mess (get some popcorn).

the fact that it took 50 emails to book a shoot is also interesting. was he trying to talk himself into it? were you trying to talk him into it?

hope you have better luck next time.

Well, I would have been fine with 1 or 2 emails to discuss then book the date. Then perhaps a confirmation email or fone call
The nite before or day of.  This photog insisted on emailing me all throughout the week. I probably should've listened to my
Instincts and dropped the shoot..

Feb 08 16 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

PentaclePrincess wrote:
Hello everyone. I just wanted to ask about the protocol in dealing with and calling out an unreliable - unprofessional photographer. I'm a PROFESSIONAL Atl-fet model, and recently was booked by a photog thru MM.
We exchanged probably way too many emails (OVER 50), but eventually a specific time and date were decided upon; the photog even gave a $25 good will deposit via Paypal.

We emailed the nite before to confirm. He assured me everything was still on!

When the day of the shoot arrived, he was not responding to any messages, or phone calls, Eventually, i got ahold of him. We said he was 'running late', perhaps hours late. He then email me and said that he was still interested in photographing me, but he wasnt sure he was 'up for the drive'.

So, we had a written contract. and is comes down to him 'not sure if he feels up to the drive'.

I want to post my dealings with this photog on MM, so that other models are aware, and dont waste a week of their time setting up something that obviously the photog had no intention of carrying through.

my question: Is this allowed on MM? If so, what forum or other area would i post the SPECIFIC info on?

Thanks everyone, 
  much love,
                             Pentacle Princess

Did he get his $25 back?

Feb 08 16 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

PentaclePrincess wrote:
Hello everyone. I just wanted to ask about the protocol in dealing with and calling out an unreliable - unprofessional photographer. I'm a PROFESSIONAL Atl-fet model, and recently was booked by a photog thru MM.
We exchanged probably way too many emails (OVER 50), but eventually a specific time and date were decided upon; the photog even gave a $25 good will deposit via Paypal.

We emailed the nite before to confirm. He assured me everything was still on!

When the day of the shoot arrived, he was not responding to any messages, or phone calls, Eventually, i got ahold of him. We said he was 'running late', perhaps hours late. He then email me and said that he was still interested in photographing me, but he wasnt sure he was 'up for the drive'.

So, we had a written contract. and is comes down to him 'not sure if he feels up to the drive'.

my question: Is this allowed on MM? If so, what forum or other area would i post the SPECIFIC info on?

Thanks everyone, 
  much love,
                             Pentacle Princess

50 emails and phone calls, Seriously???  for booking a shoot?  Something is definitely not professional here, amateur at best. big_smile

Setting up a MM shoot should be done in 3 to 4 PM's. big_smile   The sad of part of this, no one knows who is telling the truth.  He said, she said, and they said.

Feb 08 16 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Generally, if you have had a problem with a photographer who contacted you through the site, you should contact the Mods about it and pass them any information they require.

However, in this case, the guy sounds a bit flaky perhaps, but sometimes stuff happens and a car breaks down, or a child falls sick, etc, etc, these things happen and you should accept it, put it down to a bad experience and avoid wasting any more time on it, if you think he does not offer anything worth your time.

However, if he still wants to hire you, accepts that his deposit has gone, so needs to rebook you, maybe money up front this time, its up to you if you give it another shot.

In any case, good luck to you and hope you have better luck in the future!

Feb 09 16 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Seductive Focus

Trenton, New Jersey, US

What this complaint fails to mention is that there was severe winter weather warnings on the evening of the planned shoot date and also the day picked to reschedule. If someone is traveling nearly 100 miles one way in winter conditions and has to deal with the accumulations that would've collected that is not very safe and life threatening even. Also, a reschedule date was picked the following week and of course there was more winter weather warnings. I paid the booking fee and haven't even made a big deal about getting it back because I want to shoot still on a day where the weather is cooperative for a near 200 mile round trip in a rear wheel drive sports car. For people who know anything about cars, Mustangs weren't built for the snow and winter weather. I'm sorry if I value my safety and had to back out. Fact is, I still paid the booking fee. Also, I've done nothing but try to explain my side of the story truthfully and have eagerly tried to pick a new date. I am professional and have worked with tons of models in my 15 years as a photographer. This was simply a case of bad timing with the weather and me being cautious because I value my life. This has nothing to do with me trying to purposely lead someone on or be unprofessional. Mother Nature had an issue, not me.

Feb 26 16 07:08 am Link

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.)

El Segundo, California, US

Top Gun Digital wrote:

While this might not seem fair, you need to understand that pretty much nothing that is written on this site is verified by anyone so any type of dispute is really just he said, she said.  If people could broadcast anything they wanted about anyone it would quickly become anarchy.  If you have a specific question about what you can say in your profile I would recommend that you contact a moderator.

You should also keep in mind that if you have a lot of negative comments in your profile about other people it may cause people to wonder if you're difficult to work with.  Just some food for thought.

Just to clarify, the part I bolded is against the rules.

Members are allowed to say something like "I do not recommend Joe Blow MM #123456"
but are not allowed to say why or give further details on their profile page.

Feb 26 16 03:54 pm Link

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.)

El Segundo, California, US

From MM Edu

How to deal with unprofessional behavior in a professional manner

You may find some of that info helpful.

Feb 26 16 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

A K - Fine Art Images

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I would not work with him again.

Feb 26 16 06:19 pm Link

Model

Amy DeBellis

New York, New York, US

Things just got interesting...he replied?!

Feb 27 16 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Murphy Photography

Bangor, Maine, US

adebellis wrote:
Things just got interesting...he replied?!

And right after that the OP removes 99% of their posts. Don't think this went the way the OP planed wink

Feb 28 16 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

I'll lay money the number of photographers looking to work with the OP just got a LOT smaller.  Its always good business to cut your own throat to make someone else look bad...NOT!!!

Feb 29 16 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

lmao

Feb 29 16 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Another Boy who cried wolf incident ?

Feb 29 16 09:25 pm Link