Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Problems with making prints out of cropped images

Photographer

J Landry Photography

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

I'm having some issues with printing images which were cropped in the raw editor of Photoshop. When these images get printed, the parts that I cropped sometime show up as extra white or black space on the print. I'm assuming that I need to change the size of the image to make up for that cropped space, however, I'm wondering what would be the best way to do this without loosing image quality. Could someone point me towards a tutorial or point me towards the right direction in achieving this task?

Feb 06 16 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

flashart

Puyallup, Washington, US

change the size of the paper. then fit image

Feb 06 16 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Are you locking your crop to a fixed ratio or just doing whatever with each axis?

Feb 06 16 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

J Landry Photography

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Are you locking your crop to a fixed ratio or just doing whatever with each axis?

I usually just crop out what I don't want. Are you suggesting that I crop it to a fix ratio? if so, how can I maintain the previous ratio by resizing the image?

Feb 06 16 06:56 pm Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

The first thing that came to mind after reading your comments is that you may not have adjusted printer settings for a full bleed printing. The other thing is to make sure that the new cropped image fits the full size of the paper that it is to be printed on.

To make it simple, if for example your paper size is 8.5x11:  Make a new document in Photoshop at 8.5x11 and 300 dpi, move a copy of the image being cropped to the new blank canvas of the 8.5x11 document that you just created. Hold the shift key (to keep proportions) while pulling a corner of image and fit the image in the blank canvas space as you would like. Just stretch beyond the borders the areas you don't want printed. Click on File >Print... > choose paper size > look for and click "print settings" > look for something that says something like "borders" and make sure "None" is selected > print document

Hopefully that works for you

Feb 07 16 01:44 am Link

Photographer

J Landry Photography

Steven Burnette Retouch wrote:
The first thing that came to mind after reading your comments is that you may not have adjusted printer settings for a full bleed printing. The other thing is to make sure that the new cropped image fits the full size of the paper that it is to be printed on.

To make it simple, if for example your paper size is 8.5x11:  Make a new document in Photoshop at 8.5x11 and 300 dpi, move a copy of the image being cropped to the new blank canvas of the 8.5x11 document that you just created. Hold the shift key (to keep proportions) while pulling a corner of image and fit the image in the blank canvas space as you would like. Just stretch beyond the borders the areas you don't want printed. Click on File >Print... > choose paper size > look for and click "print settings" > look for something that says something like "borders" and make sure "None" is selected > print document

Hopefully that works for you

Thanks smile

Feb 07 16 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

J Landry Photography

flashart wrote:
change the size of the paper. then fit image

Thanks for the tip.

Feb 07 16 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

J Landry Photography wrote:

I usually just crop out what I don't want. Are you suggesting that I crop it to a fix ratio? if so, how can I maintain the previous ratio by resizing the image?

Yes. Otherwise you'll run in to the problem you are having.
Either crop to your paper size/ratio, or crop to a ratio that will permit you to lose the least objectionable portion of the image for the paper sizes you shoot for.

Feb 07 16 02:26 pm Link