Forums > Newbie Forum > Shooting in public

Photographer

Sarkany Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

So I'm looking to find public places in Southern California  ( just like parks, beaches, etc) to take headshots and simple photos, however I have heard some stuff about how it is illegal and that cops have been giving photographers ( mostly video/ filmmakers) a hard time about it lately.

Most of my shoots would be pretty simple just myself and my model but I wanted to know if I did need to be worried about being asked to leave or worse pay fines?

Have any of you had this trouble before? Is this just a bad rumor?

Thank you for your help!

Feb 05 16 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

Sarkany Studio wrote:
So I'm looking to find public places in Southern California  ( just like parks, beaches, etc) to take headshots and simple photos, however I have heard some stuff about how it is illegal and that cops have been giving photographers ( mostly video/ filmmakers) a hard time about it lately.

Most of my shoots would be pretty simple just myself and my model but I wanted to know if I did need to be worried about being asked to leave or worse pay fines?

Thank you for your help!

Why don't you ask the local police about what the situation is. I wouldn't expect still work not to be a problem.

Feb 05 16 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Sarkany Studio wrote:

Thank you for your help!

I have never ever, ever never had a problem. But I have heard of others.  Keep it simple and quickly done...and don't stay in one spot too long..move it along..and you should be alright.   But also remember....This is Los Angeles...and everyone wants your money. lol

Feb 05 16 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

I've used a drone to get footage of BMXers under a bridge in SoCal, and never had a problem...and a couple other private drone footage adventures in the area...legal or not. Of course the illegal footage was quickly called out to me when I sent it to the park authorities at Torrey Pines. Fortunately a professional rapport was established when I realized I'd made a mistake (no signs banning drones back then), but it definitely hammers in a good point: Do your work, have fun with it, and nobody will question you.

Oh and just for reference...
https://youtu.be/GsTG374pEHk

Feb 05 16 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Sarkany Studio

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
I have never ever, ever never had a problem. But I have heard of others.  Keep it simple and quickly done...and don't stay in one spot too long..move it along..and you should be alright.   But also remember....This is Los Angeles...and everyone wants your money. lol

Thanks is kinda what I was thinking. but I felt like it was worth asking the question from a large pool of people than my friends.

Personally I have never had a problem but i have also always know when and where to be some place.

Feb 05 16 10:46 pm Link