Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How to achieve this skintone

Retoucher

Alena Slovenska Retouch

Brno, Jihomoravsky, Czech Republic

Hi guys!

Can someone explain to me how can I achieve this skin tone?
I'm a newbie when it comes to color in Photoshop.

Appreciate the help! smile

https://s28.postimg.org/tpwsn0265/image2.jpg

Jan 27 16 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

It looks like they pumped up the hue/saturation. 

After looking at your portfolio, not sure why you would want to do that, your work is beautiful.

Jan 27 16 04:17 am Link

Retoucher

Alena Slovenska Retouch

Brno, Jihomoravsky, Czech Republic

Mary Durante Youtt wrote:

After looking at your portfolio, not sure why you would want to do that, your work is beautiful.

Thank you for the kind words, Mary!

I'm currently retouching some images that I think would look nice with this kind of color grading but I don't know how to achieve this look.

I'm not sure it's only hue/saturation adjustments, I tried playing with those and it's far from looking like this.
Maybe I need to use a gradient map and then some color balance adjustments? I have no idea, that's why I was looking for help here.

Jan 27 16 08:27 am Link

Photographer

StanJan

Orlando, Florida, US

There are several ways in PS to add warmth. Make a duplicate layer (on top of the original) and tweak the warmth with any method until you get what you want. Just concentrate on the skin tone. Of course everything else in the image will also get warmer, which is not what you want. So add a layer mask to this duplicate and carefully uncover the stuff underneath in the original layer (with a black brush) that you don't want to be warmed up. I assume you know about layer masks. Of course the brush method is not the only way to add black to a layer mask. Anyway, that's what I'd do for a first try. :-)

Jan 27 16 02:09 pm Link

Retoucher

Ivan Zayats Retouch

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus

create color balance adjustment layer, add more red in the shadows and midtones
(your reference picture looks a bit reddish)

Jan 27 16 03:30 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Easiest would be to use Topaz Restyle.  This should get you close:

Select Fashion > Rusted Grunge > Opacity 60% > Temperture 0.25 > Midtones 0.25 > White Level -0.25 > Structure 0.20

Another option is to use Alien Skin Exposure 10 (Which I prefer, fwiw.):

Presets > Golden Hour - Orange Most > Overall Intensity 90 > Clarity 35 > Vibrance 5 > Saturation 15 > Color Saturation: Yellow 15 and Greens 30

Jan 27 16 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

They dumped a bunch of yellow on it.

Jan 29 16 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

I Agree!

Jan 29 16 01:48 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Because this type of retouching and mainly the colour knowledge applied on this image will give you lots and lots of money!! Is that a good reason? :-)

This isn't done just by "pumping" the hue/saturation. There is a lot of control on luminosity/contrast/colour/saturation and finally composition.

Jan 31 16 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

NYC fine art nudes

New York, New York, US

Assuming you've got a base image that's somewhat similar:

Duplicate layer > change blend mode to Multiply -bring down opacity to around 40%-55%

New Selective Color Layer > In Reds, bring down Cyan to around 20% and bring up Yellows 10%

New Fill Layer by going to Layer > select New Fill Layer > choose a burnt orange color ( "around" 9a3b02 ) > change Blend Mode to Screen -lower opacity to around 10%

This will get you in the neighborhood, but you'll have to tweak those layers to taste.

Jan 31 16 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Agree: You  work look much better!

Feb 01 16 06:10 am Link

Artist/Painter

MattCauleyArtist

Sunnyside, New York, US

NYC fine art nudes wrote:
Assuming you've got a base image that's somewhat similar:
Duplicate layer > change blend mode to Multiply -bring down opacity to around 40%-55%
New Selective Color Layer > In Reds, bring down Cyan to around 20% and bring up Yellows 10%
New Fill Layer by going to Layer > select New Fill Layer > choose a burnt orange color ( "around" 9a3b02 ) > change Blend Mode to Screen -lower opacity to around 10%
This will get you in the neighborhood, but you'll have to tweak those layers to taste.

I just tried this with some of my own photos, and while I had to tweak the numbers a bit (since I had a more saturated photo), I *really* liked the results.

Thanks so much for the tips! This will definitely come in handy!

And going back to the original post, I agree with the others: your work is more interesting that the photo you reference. You do great work! Still, it's great to know how to adjust the pieces just in case the need arises.

Thanks to you all for the inspiration!

Matt

Feb 02 16 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Martin Troy

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I totally agree with Alena's curiosity to learn new techniques and experiment with different "looks".  I personally want to learn everything i can about my craft.  I'm disappointed with all your comments encouraging her not to change.  Not to question other ideas.  In support of her interest in learning this "look", especially for a retoucher, she would have a broader range of skills and possibilities to offer her clients.  Please don't tell her to stay the same.  That's boring.

Feb 10 16 01:17 pm Link