Forums > General Industry > I am 0 for 1 but not put off

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

Well my first shoot set up through MM was a no show.  All the standard symptoms: newbie model, amatuer pics in port and no contact from her after Monday. At least I got my office cleaned up. Its tough out here on the fringe of the universe  LOL  Maine  but I am still optamistic. 

ok little rant done thanks for your time

Dec 02 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Winstead

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Welcome to MM. Don't get discouraged, because she probably won't be the last one to flake...

Dec 03 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Artbroken Images

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yeah, it's tough here in the center of the universe too. Hang in there and don't take it personal.

btw I'd rather not post my record.

Dec 03 06 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

Sorry to hear that.  Keep on trying.  There are plenty of models that are very hard working and dependable.

Dec 03 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Bentley Photography

Westcliffe, Colorado, US

I'm trying to come up with a word and an answer to this "syndrome".  Happens to us all.  I can't wait until you give us the model's excuse.  Oooo, I lost my watch.

Dec 03 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mike White Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've started asking models "Any chance you'll be a no-show?"

Funny thing is every time I forget to ask... BINGO!

Dec 03 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

jessica weiser

Portland, Maine, US

I'm in ME too... I've had only a few last minute cancellations here, but when I first started (and was living in another state) I had a lot. It's hard. Especially for TFCD shoots. I guess they just figure sometimes if they aren't paying anything and aren't being paid they can cancel and it doesn't hurt anyone... although they fail to realize that most photographers only book 1 shoot/day and then their day is wasted. hmm It's frustrating but hang in there!

Dec 03 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Pearcy Photography

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

yeah, the trouble is that I really enjoy working with newbie models to help them get some professional looks in their port.  I love capturing images they did not even think were possible.  I guess that is the trade for the no shows.  I don't think they realize that this actually takes energy, thinking about the shoot, planning it a bit, etc. Not to mention that the limited amount of TFP time I have means that someone else does not get that slot.  Besides which, I take time away from family and other commitments for TFP work.   But, like you, I always end up with a nice clean studio when they don't show.  Frustrating part of that end of the business.

Dec 03 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

It does happen to many photographers.  I've been very lucky that the ONLY complete "no shows" I have had were so called models who couldn't even make it to an initial first time meeting to discuss the photo shoot.  Did you try meeting with her first?  It works wonders for me!

What made me so patient was it took a lttle over a year of being listed on OMP before I even got my first model to shoot from the Internet.  But it's going good now ... big_smile

Dec 03 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Jeff Pearcy Photography wrote:
yeah, the trouble is that I really enjoy working with newbie models to help them get some professional looks in their port.  I love capturing images they did not even think were possible.  I guess that is the trade for the no shows.  I don't think they realize that this actually takes energy, thinking about the shoot, planning it a bit, etc. Not to mention that the limited amount of TFP time I have means that someone else does not get that slot.  Besides which, I take time away from family and other commitments for TFP work.   But, like you, I always end up with a nice clean studio when they don't show.  Frustrating part of that end of the business.

Same here!  But I do not like to shoot with someone upon first meeting, even though I could.  When shooting for portrait studios, I always would talk with those getting photographed first.  I don't see how anyone can photograph someone with out at least finding out a little about them first ... unless candid's or journalism if what you're shooting.  The more time I've spent getting to know someone, the better pictures I get!  ... and "yes!" that goes for celebrities too!  lol

Dec 03 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

I had one show 90 minutes late but never a no-show

Dec 03 06 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Vidmandave wrote:
Well my first shoot set up through MM was a no show.  All the standard symptoms: newbie model, amatuer pics in port and no contact from her after Monday. At least I got my office cleaned up. Its tough out here on the fringe of the universe  LOL  Maine  but I am still optamistic. 

ok little rant done thanks for your time

Surprising...I never would have guessed she'd no-show:

New Model
Amateur Pics
No Contact

You only forgot the excuse...

Dec 03 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Pixelmaker

Tonawanda, New York, US

Jeff Pearcy Photography wrote:

I'm right there with you too! Although I've only had a couple completely flake, I've had several set up a day and time and between setting it up and actually doing the shoot I've gotten one excuse or the other. You know what they say--It's hard to soar like eagles when you work with turkeys. Some models are amazing, and some are, well, turkeys! But getting the excuse a day or two before is MUCH better than setting up the studio and having them not show up. Since I have to convert my living room to a photo studio (and then back again) every time a model comes over, it SUCKS to have a no-show. One really good policy--don't set up anything with a model that doesn't give you a phone number. And make sure you actually call the number and talk to her first! Just my $.02. Welcome to MM.

Dec 03 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Pixelmaker wrote:

One really good policy--don't set up anything with a model that doesn't give you a phone number. And make sure you actually call the number and talk to her first! Just my $.02. Welcome to MM.

That is an absolute MUST!  If I have not spoken with someone, then no planning for a shoot ... except I did shoot without "speaking" to her is deaf, but even she knew how to place phone calls assisted by a special operator.

Dec 03 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

TA Craft Photography

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

I would like to say that I have shot 5 TFCD models off MM, and everyone was just great, but then I'm the right side of the Atlantic.

I wonder if all this flaking is a US thing!?!

Dec 03 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Kollisions Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

I've been lucky. all the mm models I've worked with have shown up and...mostly on time  but they showed. don't give up- there's a couple of models here that are pretty cool.

Dec 03 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
It does happen to many photographers.  I've been very lucky that the ONLY complete "no shows" I have had were so called models who couldn't even make it to an initial first time meeting to discuss the photo shoot.  Did you try meeting with her first?  It works wonders for me!

No I wanted to but she never gave me other contact info. she has all mine and I never heard from her again.  She still hasnt been here to get messages since 11/28.  A fultime job in tv and the holidays looks like it will be next year when I can schedule another shoot.

Thanks for the support

Dec 04 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

TA Craft Photography wrote:
I would like to say that I have shot 5 TFCD models off MM, and everyone was just great, but then I'm the right side of the Atlantic.

LOL Just cause were on the left side?   
could be

Dec 04 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

TA Craft Photography wrote:

Definitely not. On business in France right now, here's my experience so far:
- 2 MM flakes (one "I have a hangover", one went into stealth-witness-protection mode a few days before the shoot).
- 1 OMP flake (another "hangover"), who rescheduled and showed up the second time.
- 1 MM model (eve-adeline, #8167) showed up on-time and did a great job, even though lighting wasn't ideal and she has a big event to plan and execute this week.
- 1 MM model who I have a spidy-tingling sense will go AWOL on Thursday.

Dec 05 06 06:02 pm Link

Model

Rose Summers

Matamoras, Pennsylvania, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
Definitely not. On business in France right now, here's my experience so far:
- 2 MM flakes (one "I have a hangover", one went into stealth-witness-protection mode a few days before the shoot).
- 1 OMP flake (another "hangover"), who rescheduled and showed up the second time.
- 1 MM model (eve-adeline, #8167) showed up on-time and did a great job, even though lighting wasn't ideal and she has a big event to plan and execute this week.
- 1 MM model who I have a spidy-tingling sense will go AWOL on Thursday.

If you know you have a shoot the next day, WHY THE HECK ARE YOU DRINKING?!!! That pisses me off.

To the OP: More new models flake on you than show up, but don't get discouraged. Someone suggested meeting before the shoot - good idea if the model lives close enough or will be in the area. I also think a deposit is a good idea (charge them a certain amount and tell them they will get their money back when they show up for the shoot). Idk, I've never flaked out on anyone because it's disrespectful & I know how annoying it is when someone doesn't show up. Too bad not every model cares or thinks like I do :-/

Dec 05 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Pardue Photography

Lancaster, South Carolina, US

I know how you feel. It's usually best to find out where the model lives, show up a day earlier than the appointment date, pick her up and drive her to the studio. That normally works. d:-)

Seriously, I've had pretty good luck with photo exchange but no-shows happen to the best of us.

Bob
www.bobpardue.com

Dec 05 06 09:06 pm Link