Retoucher

Oana T

Deva, Hunedoara, Romania

Hello,

Please can someone tell me how to remove hair or make it less visible ? I'm not using clone or healing brush, because the client don't pay so much and I don't want to spend a lot of time with this.

https://i65.tinypic.com/349a2vc.jpg

Thank you!

Dec 11 15 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

If you want it fast. DR3 should work. https://vimeo.com/126370614#t=0s

And demo version is fully functional.

Dec 11 15 02:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Chroma Hue

Troy, Michigan, US

You can either do this before or after you start retouching.

Make a duplicate of the areas you want to affect
Blur the layer until you can't make out the heirs individually
Create a 50% grey layer set to soft light and add noise to it (1-2%)
Clip to blur layer
Change blend-if sliders to target layer below
Depending on the hair color, use the sliders on either side to blend effect in, effectively targeting hair
Use a mask for more precise application if effect is on more than hairs

Dec 11 15 08:31 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Don't blur please, the best approach for this is to clone/heal on darken mode and then D&B to even everything out.

Dec 12 15 04:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Chroma Hue

Troy, Michigan, US

The Invisible Touch wrote:
Don't blur please, the best approach for this is to clone/heal on darken mode and then D&B to even everything out.

Don't tell someone not to blur without being specific. Blur, after all, is just a tool. It's how you use it that makes it a blessing or a curse. Yes, blur by ITSELF is not the answer. The blurring on a separate layer that "I" mentioned is just to unify the tone/shading of the area, and then "blend if" to target the hairs via the light side or dark side. Now this still needs clean up after the fact, however it gets the OP halfway there in terms of time/value.

And make sure to reference the photo the OP has so graciously supplied in the first post. In this case one wouldn't clone/heal on darken mode, but on lighten mode. Darken would be if the hairs were lighter than the skin which they are not in this case.

My approach when dealing with arm/facial hair of the female variety is to do what I mentioned, and then clone/heal on the corresponding mode of the "skin-to-hair" contrast. And then, if needed, some texture grafting. But that's beyond the scope of this post as I'd have to make a tutorial.

Dec 12 15 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

I'm sure you know the various way to achieve what you want done , as well as I do, but quality and quickly don't seem to work to well, I have know quick way in my toolbox. Sorry...

By the way your work looks great....

Dec 12 15 11:21 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Chroma Hue wrote:
Don't tell someone not to blur without being specific. Blur, after all, is just a tool. It's how you use it that makes it a blessing or a curse. Yes, blur by ITSELF is not the answer. The blurring on a separate layer that "I" mentioned is just to unify the tone/shading of the area, and then "blend if" to target the hairs via the light side or dark side. Now this still needs clean up after the fact, however it gets the OP halfway there in terms of time/value.

And make sure to reference the photo the OP has so graciously supplied in the first post. In this case one wouldn't clone/heal on darken mode, but on lighten mode. Darken would be if the hairs were lighter than the skin which they are not in this case.

My approach when dealing with arm/facial hair of the female variety is to do what I mentioned, and then clone/heal on the corresponding mode of the "skin-to-hair" contrast. And then, if needed, some texture grafting. But that's beyond the scope of this post as I'd have to make a tutorial.

You are right, my mistake... I meant Lighten instead of darkening... why not blurrying?? Because you get rid of transitions and texture on skin regardless if you use blend if option. I wasn't attacking or criticising you personally so don't get so defensive.. :-)

I would love you to work on the OP image and show me your results please... with your blur and your noise.

Chroma Hue wrote:
Make a duplicate of the areas you want to affect

This just makes the file bigger when there is no need

Chroma Hue wrote:
Blur the layer until you can't make out the heirs individually

This is destroying texture and transitions when your job as a retoucher is not to damage rather preserve.

Chroma Hue wrote:
Create a 50% grey layer set to soft light and add noise to it (1-2%)

This would be a way to recreate texture again? Bad way tho, when you can actually use the existing texture instead of blurring it.

As I said, would be very interested on seeing you work on this image with this technique or even seen this video that you are on about. :-)

Dec 13 15 02:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Chroma Hue

Troy, Michigan, US

As I said, would be very interested on seeing you work on this image with this technique or even seen this video that you are on about. :-)

I'm actually trying to get permission from a photog so I can make the video. It won't be for profit though.

Dec 13 15 08:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

Chroma Hue

Troy, Michigan, US

OK, so here's my example.

FYI this was literally 5min. Had I allowed for longer (i.e. a paying job), I'd have done some D&B work. But for an arm that's probably going to account for less than 10% of the image, I don't see an issue.

5min retouch:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7223265/Model%20Mayhem%20Posts/armhair-example-single.jpg

Before & after:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7223265/Model%20Mayhem%20Posts/armhair-example.jpg

Solar curve check (as you can see texture is still there and, if needed, I can increase it's presence):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7223265/Model%20Mayhem%20Posts/armhair-example-sc.jpg

My layers panel:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7223265/Model%20Mayhem%20Posts/Screen%20Shot%202015-12-13%20at%2012.05.57%20PM.jpg

And, yes, while making a raster duplicate of something in Photoshop will increase the size of the document, if you only target the area you need to retouch the overall addition to the size of the document will be very minuscule. Further more I'd NEVER leave these layers just sitting there like that. I usually do a document clean up at the end of a retouching to see what I can afford to merge while still staying non-destructive.

Dec 13 15 09:06 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Hi Chroma,

Thanks for the attempt at fixing the hair on the arm but as you can see you have got rid of valuable texture/transitions and now the skin looks blurred..

Chroma Hue wrote:
But for an arm that's probably going to account for less than 10% of the image, I don't see an issue.

Well, let me tell you that in the real retouching world (professional) photographers/clients/agencies look for every single detail. To you might be a tiny thing and might not be an issue but to professionals, trust it is huge as you have lost focus on the arm and when printing for instance, this won't look as good as the rest. Can you not see that the skin doesn't have the same definition anymore? The shadows where there was no hair on the before, now look really soft and blur.

Regarding the size of the document, you are not correct, you have created Frequency separation which is two new stamp layers plus the duplicates you have done also increase big time your file... otherwise check the before image size, saved as PS and then your file with all the layers in it save as PS.. you will see the difference.. if you keep doing stamps in your workflow you will eventually end up with a huge file, when there is really no need. Also if you merge layers once you are done, is not Non destructive any more.. you should work in a way that everything is available for changes any time.. that's non destructive.

Dec 13 15 09:47 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

My version too longer than 5 minutes..

Only cleaning on an empty layer on lighten mode and then a good session of D&B. That's all.

https://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd377/javijs/349a2vc_zpst0lqd2ye.jpg

Dec 13 15 10:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Chroma Hue

Troy, Michigan, US

Regarding the size of the document, you are not correct, you have created Frequency separation which is two new stamp layers plus the duplicates you have done also increase big time your file... otherwise check the before image size, saved as PS and then your file with all the layers in it save as PS.. you will see the difference.. if you keep doing stamps in your workflow you will eventually end up with a huge file, when there is really no need. Also if you merge layers once you are done, is not Non destructive any more.. you should work in a way that everything is available for changes any time.. that's non destructive.

While I don't want to take over the OP's posting, I can tell you that I do it all the time and it doesn't increase my file size big time. I'm also not stamping all throughout my document. My workflow is about 90% non-destructive with that last 10% being things like liquify and cloning/healing (which also add to file size).

I spent < 5min, you spent more time.

I can see where you cloned/healed on lighten as those areas are darker and softer. And to be honest most ads that I see (Vogue, W, etc) look like they obliterate all texture form the arms and legs and compensate with noise. I'm not saying that's what you nor, and I'm not saying it's right...but an observation I've seen throughout the years.

OVERALL I'm not saying you or your technique is wrong. I'm saying there there are many ways to skin a cat.

But again...let us not take over the OP's post. Please PM me if you want to talk more.

Dec 13 15 11:02 am Link

Retoucher

Pall Kris Design

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

My thoughts and ratings:

@Invisible touch 8/10
Skin texture looks perfect! It's not 10/10 because you lost details in muscles. I know your purpose was just for skin, but I try to stay objective. Btw what is tha lighten? I'd thought you'd go on frequency separation and heal/clone the texture layer.

@Croma 4/10
Muscles look good but you lost 50% of the skin texture and. Some of the original hairs are transformed now in skin marks.
Personally I find it disturbing. A high end photographer would probably "kill" you for this smile
But for a 5 minute job- AMAZING! I still look forward to that tutorial, please post link here in forum smile

There are photographers out there who don't afford to pay more than $3 or $5 to pay per photo, so probably Croma's  method would be suitable for some low cost jobs.

Dec 13 15 11:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Chroma Hue

Troy, Michigan, US

Oh and seems I forgot a step with my example. I was supposed to set that whole group to "Lighten" mode so it only targeted the hairs and not the shadows or natural transitions.

So in this example I took exactly what I'd already done, set the group to "Lighten", Merged the group which only targets the arm, and then D&B the transition changes. You've now forced me to spend more then 5min for a simple demo with an additional 20min of D&B, however:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7223265/Model%20Mayhem%20Posts/armhair-example-withmoretimethankstoinvisibletouch.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7223265/Model%20Mayhem%20Posts/Screen%20Shot%202015-12-13%20at%203.34.23%20PM.jpg

Skin texture preserved. Skin transitions smoothed. Detail everywhere.

Dec 13 15 12:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Chroma Hue

Troy, Michigan, US

paulkris wrote:
There are photographers out there who don't afford to pay more than $3 or $5 to pay per photo, so probably Croma's  method would be suitable for some low cost jobs.

Mind you that that's not my 100% method as it was 5min and not an actual job. But I made another post where I actually spent time and made a slight correction to my method.

Dec 13 15 12:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Cole Bettelyoun

Martin, South Dakota, US

Chroma Hue wrote:
Oh and seems I forgot a step with my example. I was supposed to set that whole group to "Lighten" mode so it only targeted the hairs and not the shadows or natural transitions.

So in this example I took exactly what I'd already done, set the group to "Lighten", Merged the group which only targets the arm, and then D&B the transition changes. You've now forced me to spend more then 5min for a simple demo with an additional 20min of D&B, however:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7223265/Model%20Mayhem%20Posts/armhair-example-withmoretimethankstoinvisibletouch.jpg

I would like to see a video also. In your first post of the example i thought it looked blurred also but after your adjustsments to the group it came out nice

Dec 13 15 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Chroma Hue wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7223265/Model%20Mayhem%20Posts/Screen%20Shot%202015-12-13%20at%203.34.23%20PM.jpg

This looks great...

Dec 13 15 10:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Abdel Kebdani

Rabat, Rabat-Salé-Zammour-Zaer, Morocco

I understand the point of The invisible Touch, and I agree with it! I also like traditional retouching ways, when I'm paid well.
But the question of Oana were more about time/prices, and not about the correct way. for clients who pay me $20 for an image, I'm not gonna spend two hours dealing with an arm !
I can see that Chroma did great job in 5min ! I'm also interested in seeing his video ! big_smile

Jan 19 16 04:34 am Link

Retoucher

Cole Bettelyoun

Martin, South Dakota, US

If i remember correct now Gry Garness shows this technique on her DVD.

Jan 19 16 05:20 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Abdel Kebdani wrote:
I understand the point of The invisible Touch, and I agree with it! I also like traditional retouching ways, when I'm paid well.
But the question of Oana were more about time/prices, and not about the correct way. for clients who pay me $20 for an image, I'm not gonna spend two hours dealing with an arm !
I can see that Chroma did great job in 5min ! I'm also interested in seeing his video ! big_smile

With that approach you won't go too far in this industry trust me.. is not about Time vs money is about quality

Jan 20 16 03:06 am Link

Retoucher

Abdel Kebdani

Rabat, Rabat-Salé-Zammour-Zaer, Morocco

With that approach you won't go too far in this industry trust me.. is not about Time vs money is about quality

I can't agree more Invisible, and I'm aware of this, quality is the top of everything!
But while you're working with clients that doesn't care about it, nor will have a sensitivity about the quality you provided, I would prefer not to provide them quality work and spend lots of time in their ( bad ) images. I've learnt to keep quality for quality clients and normal work ( which is not very good ) for normal clients. at the end everything has a price. But for a portfolio, quality work is a must ! I hope you got my idea.

Feb 17 16 07:12 am Link

Retoucher

Oana T

Deva, Hunedoara, Romania

Thank you all for your replies! smile

I understand your point of view, but if the client won't wanna pay too much for your work, what are the benefits if you work few hours on the image at low price? smile So there is not about quality, but about price.

Feb 27 16 03:30 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

T Oana wrote:
I understand your point of view, but if the client don't wanna pay too much for your work, what are the benefits if you work few hours on the image at low price? smile So there is not about quality, but about price.

It is really simple, if the client doesn't want to pay too much for your work is due to two option..

1. your work isn't good enough
2. your client isn't good enough

To all of those who are aspiring to become professional freelancers/retouchers. Always give your best on everything you do as this represents you and your professionalism, if you go about with the attitude "they don't pay enough therefore I won't give them a great result" you will never make it. What you forget is that at the beginning you have to work your arse off for little money, but I can guarantee that if you provide professional results and meet deadlines your work will spread and eventually you will get bigger clients.

Feb 28 16 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Photo Lolz

New York, New York, US

Time = Money = Quality is a general rule of thumb.  There are a couple caveats with this though:

In this particular case, Quality = Time + Money.

1.  If you feel you aren't getting paid enough to equal the quality the client wants on it then you should have asked for more money or you're going to have to accept that you'll have to give more of your own time than you want.

2.  If you feel the quality should represent the time and money equally and you're getting paid peanuts, then you need to tell the client up front that the quality will be poor so they can move on to someone else who cares.

3.  Regardless of any mistakes you made in your quote to them, you should never sacrifice quality.  That's just disrespectful and irresponsible.

Feb 29 16 08:49 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

David Kilper wrote:
Regardless of any mistakes you made in your quote to them, you should never sacrifice quality.  That's just disrespectful and irresponsible.

Exactly!!

Mar 01 16 11:54 am Link