Forums > General Industry > Well, Might As Well Sell my dSLRs

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I watched "Superman Returns" yesterday. At one point, Superman was saving some bimbo in a car whose brakes had gone out, and as he was putting it down, a kid took some pictures with his cell phone. (Oh, and it was night, although this took place in a fairly well-lit place.)

Later, Perry White is castigating Jimmy Olsen for not getting good pictures: he waves several beautiful black and white 8x10's in Jimmy's face and says, "These are iconic. And they were taken by a kid with a cell phone."

Well, slap me with a camera strap and call me Daddy, but if you can get pictures like that out of a cell phone, I'm kicking my Canons to the curb. Oh, and I think I'll only shoot in black and white with it. Those were nice pictures.

M

Dec 02 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

LOL. Part of a script dude...big_smile

Dec 02 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

ADGibson wrote:

Problem is that "Part of a script" feeds in to the whole mentality of "I've got a web cam/cell phone!  I can be a model/photographer!"

Dec 02 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

StMarc wrote:
Well, slap me with a camera strap and call me Daddy, but if you can get pictures like that out of a cell phone, I'm kicking my Canons to the curb. Oh, and I think I'll only shoot in black and white with it. Those were nice pictures.

M

Does that mean that soon we'll be praising the noob's for having great quality cell pics on their profiles?

Dec 02 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Photographers.. what do you shoot with?

Sony Ericcson

Motorola Razr

wink

Dec 02 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

No those were my pics with my key chain camera. it comes from china.

Dec 02 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

i've done some shots with my phone ( LG LX350 ) that aren't all that bad:

http://spikester.livejournal.com/36466.html

Dec 02 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

MrTim

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

By the same extent I wonder why TV companies bother spending tens of thousands of dollars on video cameras when every spy/police/detective movie/tv show regularly demonstrates how running even the crappiest security camera image through a computer will pull-up enough detail for you to read a licence plate reflected in someone's sunglasses from half a mile away.

Dec 02 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

What part did you have trouble believing, that one can get excellent B&W images from a cell phone or that a man can fly & lift cars?

Dec 02 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

StMarc wrote:
I watched "Superman Returns" yesterday. At one point, Superman was saving some bimbo in a car whose brakes had gone out, and as he was putting it down, a kid took some pictures with his cell phone. (Oh, and it was night, although this took place in a fairly well-lit place.)

Later, Perry White is castigating Jimmy Olsen for not getting good pictures: he waves several beautiful black and white 8x10's in Jimmy's face and says, "These are iconic. And they were taken by a kid with a cell phone."

M

Until you can consistently have superman pose for you, keep your Canon.

Dec 02 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
What part did you have trouble believing, that one can get excellent B&W images from a cell phone or that a man can fly & lift cars?

LOL!!

Dec 02 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I remember watching the movie and laughing when the 8x10's were tossed on the desk.

Dec 02 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am a science-fiction and fantasy fan from way back. I adhere somewhat firmly to the "one impossible thing" rule. For instance, in Star Trek, the Impossible Thing is warp fields. All the technology that breaks the laws of physics in Star Trek has its origin in the science of warp fields, so it gets a pass. If a piece of fiction has more than one impossible thing in it, the author is guilty until proven innocent of handwaving to cover deficiencies in their imagination.

The "one impossible thing" in Superman movies is, depending on how you look at it, either Krypton, or super-powers. Krypton actually works better as he doesn't fight any other super-powered beings who aren't also Kryptonian (in the movies) and all technology used in the movies that blatantly violates the laws of nature as we know them is also Kryptonian. Without Krypton, no movie. Therefore, Krypton and anything to do with it gets the "impossible thing" pass.

Be that as it may, the cell-phone pictures described, unless that kid's dad works for STAR Labs, are impossible, and they disrupt the suspension of disbelief for anyone who knows anything about photography. Therefore, I object to them.

M

Dec 02 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Wicked Illusion

Woodland, California, US

oh yea, the motorola i have is the shit...

Dec 02 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

my phone doesn't even have a camera sad

Dec 02 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Ever watch CSI? It's not just the security cameras that can pull the level of detail of a 39 MP Hasselblad, but the little things, like the laser printers that print face up. Ever notice that? Every laser printer I've ever seen has the prints coming out face down - but not on CSI. Or the magic fingerprint checker. Or the cameras that all sound the same, but not like real cameras.

Dec 02 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:
Ever watch CSI? It's not just the security cameras that can pull the level of detail of a 39 MP Hasselblad, but the little things, like the laser printers that print face up. Ever notice that? Every laser printer I've ever seen has the prints coming out face down - but not on CSI. Or the magic fingerprint checker. Or the cameras that all sound the same, but not like real cameras.

How about the in camera meter and split prism on a DSLR that they all have?

Or the one CSI team that has a computer monitor that can project in to thin air?

Or the simple fact that they never get sample contamination even though no one wears a hair net in the lab!?

But people *STILL* take most of that stuff as de-facto truth... example: the model murdering episodes and the rash of model murdered on TV threads right after them.

Dec 02 06 12:02 pm Link

Model

Alix Andrea

Los Angeles, California, US

Studio Spike wrote:
i've done some shots with my phone ( LG LX350 ) that aren't all that bad:

http://spikester.livejournal.com/36466.html

OMG thats from a camera phone? Its gorgeous!

Dec 02 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

You know, in 5-10 years, cell phone cameras will be superior in quality to today's DSLRs.

Dec 02 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

James Jackson wrote:

My 20D has a split-image rangefinder surrounded by microprism collar - just like my old film camera. No match needle metering, though...

Dec 02 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:

James Jackson wrote:

Or the one CSI team that has a computer monitor that can project in to thin air?

Or the simple fact that they never get sample contamination even though no one wears a hair net in the lab!?

But people *STILL* take most of that stuff as de-facto truth... example: the model murdering episodes and the rash of model murdered on TV threads right after them.

on CSI: Miami (aka photograhers killing models, the show) the other night a killer was shooting video with a cheap shaky low res hand held video camera and at one point waves his hand a foot or so in front of the lens.  They were able to pull a still frame from it & read his prints.
Yeahhhhhhhh.

I agree with the "one impossible thing" comment above.  It's the Deus ex Machina idea.  You can only ask me to suspend my disbelief so far before I call "Bullshit."

Dec 02 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

C00P

Anaheim, California, US

David Scott wrote:

Sony Ericcson

Motorola Razr

wink

My Nokia has a 2.8 lens.

Dec 02 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

M B

Chicago, Illinois, US

I do everything w/ my cell phone.

Dec 02 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

TA Craft Photography

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Just just gotta wait for the Canon L series cell phones, then we can all do it without DSLR

Dec 02 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

StMarc wrote:

Have you seen Greg Gorman's black and white cell phone images? They're pretty darn impressive.

He showed them at PIDE a few years back, sneaking them in between some of his regular work, and showing his rooftop lighting setup. (I haven't been able to find them online, alas.)

Dec 02 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

David Scott wrote:

Sony Ericcson

Motorola Razr

wink

lg 7100, its outdated as well.

Dec 02 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

ADGibson wrote:

haha. Like the band's in the club, plays one song and takes a break.

I don't remember that ever happening to me!!

wink

Dec 02 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

FotoMark

Oxnard, California, US

and thos "cell phone" prints were hand printed in a darkroom, that doubles as a bathroom. The cell phone doubles as the enlarger and using several common household chemicals they were able to handily print them up, then throw them in the clothes dryer to dry.

Dec 02 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

You know, in 5-10 years, cell phone cameras will be superior in quality to today's DSLRs.

That will be quite a trick, what with those pesky laws of optics and all. smile

M

Dec 02 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

David Scott wrote:

Sony Ericcson

Motorola Razr

wink

My son's very first picture was shot with my Motorola Razr. It's quite nice. My wife says "Just your style." And my son's 16 months old. wink

Dec 02 06 05:26 pm Link