Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Retouching Software For High-End Beauty

Digital Artist

I AM RETIRED

New York, New York, US

What software do you recommend most for high-end beauty retouching?

Nov 19 15 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

No contest Photoshop CS6 or PhotoshopCC.  Lightroom is also a big help.

Nov 19 15 06:39 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

Agreed.  If you want to achieve professional high end looking images... you have to use the high end professional software.  When I started out 9 years ago I was using another software solution...my mentor told me...if I wanted to be a professional... that I would have to invest in professional software.  For me Adobe Photoshop CS6 and the newer Creative Cloud Photoshop CC2015 fill that bill.  I also use Lightroom for ranking, sorting, base correcting, cropping and delivering great first pass thumbnails to the end-customer for further work in Photoshop.  For me...anything less... I consider amateur or hobbyist software...thats where I came from.  Ending up with Photoshop is the professional end-game.

Nov 19 15 01:24 pm Link

Retoucher

Sergretouch

New York, New York, US

Use Photoshop CC2015 and any raw-convertor what you like (Lightroom, Capture One etc.).

Nov 23 15 12:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Konstantin Georgoulis

Kateríni, Voreia Ellada, Greece

Dec 23 15 05:54 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I use Imagnomics Portraiture a lot, but it only runs as a plug-in to PS so you need that first.  It has a plug-in for LR as well, just I cannot stand that program for its incessant and slow cataloging/libraying ... and with me switching between external cards and drives a lot, it is slow and bloats itself up for stuff I no longer feed into it.  Portraiture will not run on Corel PSP X8 (Tried too!).  Expensive though, but one of the better plug-ins and is pretty quick in operation.  Doesn't run by itself though as a stand alone.

For effects, onOne and AlienSkin also have some rudimentary portrait corrections within them (i.e. Eye and teeth whitening, skin smoothing, blemishes.), but do better for masking, backgrounds, borders, etc. imho.  They can run as a stand alone or operate within PS.

Another, if you don't have good handle on make-up, is Reallusion Face Filter 3 Pro.  It has the ability to alter physical features like crooked eyes, mouths, nose, etc. and serves as a complete make-up salon as well.  It does quite a bit for make-up corrections or additions.  You can find it at times for $80 if you hunt down coupons when buying.  It runs by itself and not as a plug-in.  Bit labor intensive though (Makes you more of a MUAH person!), and not as automatic or quick as others.

Good luck.

Dec 23 15 07:51 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Photoshop CC & Capture One

Dec 23 15 01:24 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Konstantin Georgoulis wrote:
This my favorite one
http://graphicriver.net/item/ultimate-r … _back=true

I would like to ask the moderators of this group to stop this.. this is spam. He is just selling his products here which isn't allowed.

Dec 23 15 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Konstantin Georgoulis wrote:
This my favorite one
http://graphicriver.net/item/ultimate-r … _back=true

Some of the photos have been seen on the retouching forum used in this promotion. Did the software designer get the proper license to use those images?

Dec 24 15 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

The Invisible Touch wrote:
Photoshop CC & Capture One

Yep - Photoshop and Capture One Pro.

You can pretty much tell in the quality, when one uses plugins and retouching shortcut programs. If one wants professional results you have to put in the work.

Dec 24 15 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
...You can pretty much tell in the quality, when one uses plugins and retouching shortcut programs. If one wants professional results you have to put in the work.

+1 QFT  Such truer words have not been spoken... 

Albeit there are two applications that go beyond Abode's Flagship abilities... First to extract data from highlights and shadows (i.e. increase dynamic range) with incredible finesse... Second to allow a DOF far beyond the capabilities of current high end optics...

First being  Photomatix Pro (latest release)... yes PS does now does excellent HDR but Photomatix Pro masters it... caveat there is a learning curve here... and please ignore the "artsy" application of Photomatix... It is the workhorse of commercial Architectural Shooters... I assist many in my market locale and nearly without exception they use Photomatix Pro...   

The second being Helicon for image stacking... again yes PS does image stacking but Helicon masters it... If you have clients who shoot jewelry (oft associated with "High-End Beauty") you likely already are aware of Helicon... That said, for those who need ultimate functionality here then look no further than Zerene... although Zerene Stacker has a learning curve and complex interface far beyond most viewing this forum... you've been advised...

Disclaimer: I am not associated with any of the three aforementioned vendors...
Testimonial: Yes I deploy Photomatix Pro (latest version) now and again for "High-End Beauty" to augment the dynamic range of my capture devices.  It actually does exceed Adobe's flagship abilities by an order of magnitude when used appropriately

Bottom  Line? John's inference rings so very true for the myriad of add ins and add ons which "model photography" hobbyist deploy to avoid mastery of their craft and taking it to a commercial level... enough said...

Hope this helps...
Best wishes for a fantastic Holiday season with family and friends...

Dec 26 15 08:13 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
+1 QFT  Such truer words have not been spoken... 

Albeit there are two applications that go beyond Abode's Flagship abilities... First to extract data from highlights and shadows (i.e. increase dynamic range) with incredible finesse... Second to allow a DOF far beyond the capabilities of current high end optics...

First being  Photomatix Pro (latest release)... yes PS does now does excellent HDR but Photomatix Pro masters it... caveat there is a learning curve here... and please ignore the "artsy" application of Photomatix... It is the workhorse of commercial Architectural Shooters... I assist many in my market locale and nearly without exception they use Photomatix Pro...   

The second being Helicon for image stacking... again yes PS does image stacking but Helicon masters it... If you have clients who shoot jewelry (oft associated with "High-End Beauty") you likely already are aware of Helicon... That said, for those who need ultimate functionality here then look no further than Zerene... although Zerene Stacker has a learning curve and complex interface far beyond most viewing this forum... you've been advised...

Disclaimer: I am not associated with any of the three aforementioned vendors...
Testimonial: Yes I deploy Photomatix Pro (latest version) now and again for "High-End Beauty" to augment the dynamic range of my capture devices.  It actually does exceed Adobe's flagship abilities by an order of magnitude when used appropriately

Bottom  Line? John's inference rings so very true for the myriad of add ins and add ons which "model photography" hobbyist deploy to avoid mastery of their craft and taking it to a commercial level... enough said...

Hope this helps...
Best wishes for a fantastic Holiday season with family and friends...

I've heard Photomatix recommended before. Is it significantly superior to HDR Efex Pro?

Dec 26 15 10:55 am Link

Retoucher

Dylan Colon

Asbury, New Jersey, US

I come from a landscape/wildlife photography/retouching background, and my post processing style is more on the side of image manipulation than it is basic retouching.

I like to utilize every ounce of information I can get, so I use two programs for RAW demosaicing. DxO Optics Pro, and PhotoNinja.

Most images, I'll just stick with DxO. The main reason I use it over other applications like Lightroom is the noise reduction. There is an algorithm called PRIME which is analyzing pixels on a sub-pixel basis, calculating like regions, and then intelligently averaging based off of those calculations. It's incredibly intensive, and you can't actually preview it when you're editing- You have to export the file and then you can see the effects of PRIME noise reduction.

The results the first time I tried it blew me away. I shoot with a D600, so the high ISO noise is already very manageable, but when DxO took an ISO 6400 shot of a Gorilla that was very underexposed and then made it possible for me to completely recover that and reduce the noise to borderline zero while still retaining every single detail in the fur and textures- I was immediately converted.

PhotoNinja comes into play when I have a particularly tricky RAW file. One where the highlights are too blown out to be recovered using the RAW information alone. PhotoNinja's advantage is in its demosaicing algorithm. It is incredibly powerful, and has a few tricks up its sleeve in regards to resolution and color rendition.

The most notable of reasons comes with highlight recovery. Using an averaging algorithm that is intelligently averaging pixels around the highlights, PhotoNinja "Guesses" what color (and to a lesser degree what texture) the highlights should be once recovered. Because I prefer the noise reduction in DxO, I'll use PhotoNinja to render out the highlights and DxO to render out the rest, and then stack and align the two images (Alignment is necessary due to pixel differences that happen in the demosaicing step) to mask in the highlight regions from PhotoNinja.

Other than that, the only other plugins/applications I use are (of course) Photoshop, Topaz Clarity, and two film emulation plugins- DxO Filmpack and Alien Skin Exposure. I like Clarity because it breaks out the different contrast regions into multiple sliders, to give me more fine grain control over tonal contrast of different sizes. Very useful for bringing out details in hair, and also very useful for reducing the effects of lens blur.

For skin softening, I find that high pass separation tends to get the job done just right. With it, I see no need for a portrait plugin.

Dec 26 15 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

TareqPhoto

'Ajmān, 'Ajmān, United Arab Emirates

I am not a retoucher and i don't shoot portraits and i am not good in editing or retouching even if i want to try, but the most software i use for all my photography is ......... PHOTOSHOP.

I was using some other softwares next to Photoshop even lightroom too, but when i upgraded to CS6 and CC i never look back to anything else, i stopped using Canon software, no lightroom at all, not even Capture One which Phase One keep promoting it as one best software out there but i couldn't find myself with it when i used it as test, Photoshop CC is really a revolutionary for me, it helped me enhancing so many photos even the old ones, and for retouching i really can't see anything better than this, maybe something simpler but not better.

Jan 16 16 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

DJ Jarak wrote:
What software do you recommend most for high-end beauty retouching?

#1 Photoshop CC & Lightroom CC #2 Portrait Pro.

Jan 16 16 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Ross Photographic

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Anyone used Portrait Professional 12 or 15?

Jan 17 16 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Jacek Poplawski

Wrocław, Dolnośląskie, Poland

Doug Ross Photographic wrote:
Anyone used Portrait Professional 12 or 15?

In your opinion "after" is better than "before"?
http://www.portraitprofessional.com/gallery/

Jan 17 16 09:11 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

You can't talk about high-end retouching (which is what the OP asked about) and portrait pro in the same sentence. Unless you're on MM of course as most of the people that actually do high-end retouching and would point out how ridiculous that is, have long since left by now. There are a few left.

Jan 18 16 01:03 am Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

London, England, United Kingdom

I use Lightroom for Camera Raw processing and catalog and then PS for everything else.
I used Color Efex pro a couple of years ago but I think it's better for photographers.
There are lot of software from NIK and they are very good for retouching too.

Jan 18 16 03:46 am Link