Forums > General Industry > Entry Level Models & Camera Phone Portfolios

Photographer

LSP CREATIVE

Dallas, Texas, US

I could not resist posting this statement from an entry level model complete with camera phone portfolio who is only available for paid work:

"compensation would be required. If there is no compensation, then it depends on how much is being paid"

Can I have the translation please ??

Dec 02 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

And how do you spell FLAKE

Dec 02 06 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

The question of compensation becomes a moot point when you consider that she's probably too dense to find her way to your studio.

Dec 02 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Tell her that you will give her a discount and only charge $1,000.

Dec 02 06 08:32 am Link

Model

_Bunny_

Riverview, Florida, US

Translation: find someone else, 'cause I'm probably a flake.

Dec 02 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Substitute "compensation" for "condemnation" and I think she's got something.

Dec 02 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Golden Light

Miami, Florida, US

Take it easy. These girls are only trying to have a professional fantasy. Many have nothing real in life but their fantasy.

Dec 02 06 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

If we all pitch in $1, we could Paypal it to her and hope it's enough for her to buy a clue.

Dec 02 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:
If we all pitch in $1, we could Paypal it to her and hope it's enough for her to buy a clue.

I needed a good laugh.  Thanks.

Dec 02 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

LSP CREATIVE wrote:
I could not resist posting this statement from an entry level model complete with camera phone portfolio who is only available for paid work:

"compensation would be required. If there is no compensation, then it depends on how much is being paid"

Delusional

Dec 02 06 09:08 am Link

Artist/Painter

Photosculpt

Ocean City, Maryland, US

Maybe she wants some sort of emotional compensation. In lieu of that sort of compensation she will accept money instead.  Nahh...she likely got a couple of extra fries in her happy meal.

Dec 02 06 09:09 am Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

Whats the going rate on clues?

Dec 02 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

And I suppose she should kindly yank her fantastically professional photos out of her ass?

Everyone begins somewhere.  I'd love to see the beginner photos of some of the people who often make these same comments. 

If she has the look worth paying for, then she'll get booked.  The simple fact of internet life is that by merely having a set of photos on this site, she'll get offers for paid work.  Whether or not she'll take them is a different story, but she's got every right to accept paid work only.  Entry level has nothing to do with it.  There are models who've been doing what they do for a couple of years (which is a long period of time for a model) but that still doesn't mean he or she will have the look required. 

Either you think her look is worth it and you play ball or you don't and you move on.  But the insinuation that a beginning model with self-taken startup pictures equates to "flake-age" is ridiculous.  Reliability and quality of photos aren't linked in any way.  If they were, some people might just consider you guys a bunch of flakes waiting to happen.

You know, on second thought, you guys are probably right.  The only people who can require paid work are models with polished portfolios that wow viewers.  And that's just the truth. 

I mean, what will they think of next?  Trying to get paid work for agency models who only have polaroids?!

Wait...

Dec 02 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Here's another gem from her bio, "Professionals would be greatly appreciated, but only if they are free."

Dec 02 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

LSP CREATIVE

Dallas, Texas, US

Jay:

Since I do "new faces" test shots for a major agency, I am familiar with what agencies will/will not accept.  I also make a standing offer for a free TFP shoot to new models in my geographical area who post less than desirable photos on MM.  However, the attitude of an entry-level model who refuses TFP work from photogs who could help her is either stupidity or unmeritied egotism.

It has been rewarding to me to see models I did first shoots for who are now getting continuous paid offers.  I just received another phone call from someone yesterday that I had done a TFP shoot for who just received a lucrative offer based upon shots from our recent TFP shoot.

When I find an entry-level model with an aggressive attitude who wants to work hard to further her career and who understands that you have to "crawl before you can walk"  I will do everything in my power and exercise all of my contacts to help her.  And I believe that there are many, many other photogs on MM who would say the exact same thing. 

I just think that many beginning models do not realize the wealth of resources that they are leaving behind with some of the walls that they throw up.

Dec 02 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

I had one contact me with her rate $1000 a day with webcam pictures and cell phone pics. I wrote her back with my rate and lmao at her said you should be paying me to get you some good pictures oh she was very Experienced  she said.At what giving webcam show.lol

Dec 02 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

Golden Light wrote:
Take it easy. These girls are only trying to have a professional fantasy. Many have nothing real in life but their fantasy.

It appears there are a lot of them fantasizing.

Dec 02 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

LSP CREATIVE:

Whether or not it's a good practice is determined only by how many paid assignments they get or take.  Whether or not a photographer can help them is dependant upon that shooters ability to produce the kind of images that will market them.

If they don't get any offers for paid work, then they buckle.  Or find another line of work.  But people really do make me laugh when they say that new models should do trades.  How does the ridiculousness of that statement differ from the model saying paid work only? 

Some people, believe it or not, look at this as a job.  If you've ever been hired for a job in which you didn't have previous experience, did your employer say "We want you to work for an indeterminable period of time for free before we begin to pay you." or "You should, on demand, come in and work for free because we think it can benefit you."

I doubt it.  Your employer hired you because he/she thought you were qualified and you get paid from day one.  I'm not against trading at all, but I never bregrudge someone for wanting paid work only.  Just move on to the next model, because there are plenty of them out there who will work for prints.  Like I said, if they don't get any paid offers, they change their tune and then maybe you can shoot together.

Or perhaps they get paid work all the way through, all the while building a continually improving portfolio through those assignments.  Then I suppose the joke will be on you (general reference, not directed at the OP)...

Dec 02 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

Folks there are people in almost every walk of life that have unrealistic expectations.  Models, photographers, folks who get degrees in fields that are not marketable... are just a few. It covers a wide range.  Lighten up on this subject a bit. 

I would just let it go because these kinds of threads are really just model bashing.  I suspect even those models with realistic expectations get tired of seeing this kind of thread.  Are we really so naive not to suspect that for every model with unrealistic expectations that there is probably a so called photographer with unrealistic expectations or worse ulterior motives?

When you see this kind of thing... pass it by... and resist telling us one more time of your discovery.  This just doesn't help.

Dec 02 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

LSP CREATIVE wrote:
Since I do "new faces" test shots for a major agency, I am familiar with what agencies will/will not accept.

pardon me for asking; what "major" agency?

regardless of the text in the model's portfolio, this thread is needless model bashing akin to bashing those advertising "vogue style" photos with nothing to back up the claim in presentation.

after viewing the model in question portfolio there isn't much difference between the pot and the kettle in agency / professional level presentation.  it's disheartening to see those feeling good about themselves in this manner, especially considering the "toe in the water" aspect of this site.

a private message to help edit would have been far more helpful than starting a thread.  isn't that what one might do when they work with new faces for a "major" agency?

--face reality

Dec 02 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

LSP CREATIVE wrote:

Okay, this opening post is wildly misleading.

The full quote from her bio is "I am available for travel. However, compensation would be required.  If there is no..." blahblahblah.

That's a common requirement!!  Also, while I'll refrain from making a critical analysis on the quality of her portfolio, it is clear that her photos were not all shot with a camera phone.  Further, while she states that she's only interested in paid work, she does follows that immediately with saying she's available for TFP. 

So, what exactly is your gripe again?

Dec 02 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

Okay, this opening post is wildly misleading.

The full quote from her bio is "I am available for travel. However, compensation would be required.  If there is no..." blahblahblah.

That's a common requirement!!  Also, while I'll refrain from making a critical analysis on the quality of her portfolio, it is clear that her photos were not all shot with a camera phone.  Further, while she states that she's only interested in paid work, she does follows that immediately with saying she's available for TFP. 

So, what exactly is your gripe again?

Eh. Her profile is confusing. She is only interested in paid work but will accept tfp? This model is just not worth the time for most of us. Let her have her fantasy and then fade off.

Aaron

Dec 02 06 10:34 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

When I see webcam or cellphone "portfolios" reviewing new members, if they don't have at least one full body shot, I deny them.

Dec 02 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

ADGibson wrote:
Eh. Her profile is confusing. She is only interested in paid work but will accept tfp? This model is just not worth the time for most of us. Let her have her fantasy and then fade off.

Aaron

Personally I only have an interest in shooting one particular genre of photography, but because I'm a whore and I like having a stocked 'fridge I'm also available for weddings and other photography services.  It's not so difficult a concept to comprehend when you actually take a split second to try and understand it.

But, quite honestly, your sentiment is one I agree with wholeheartedly: It's not really worth the time; just move on and allow her to do what she does (to the OP). 

She's kindly allowing the rest of us to do what we do and not being critical of our work or requirements...

Dec 02 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
When I see webcam or cellphone "portfolios" reviewing new members, if they don't have at least one full body shot, I deny them.

by all appearance, the images in the model in question portfolio are not cell phone pics.  the thread title is misleading and shows an intent to disparage a member beyond a poor choice of wording in the text portion of the portfolio.

--face reality

Dec 02 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Why ridicule the poor woman?

Look, some young people have significant expenses, may be low on cash, and are often low on time.  There is nothing wrong with a model (of any experience) requesting compensation for her time.  There is nothing wrong with a photographer deciding not to hire any particular model.

But ridiculing them (and misrepresenting them) is just low & pathetic.

Dec 02 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

A M Photographic

Farmington, Connecticut, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:
Tell her that you will give her a discount and only charge $1,000.

So damn funny ... i needed that

Dec 02 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Sandcutter Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

It makes perfect sense if you define "compensation" as "a foot massage after the shoot".

Dec 02 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

LSP CREATIVE

Dallas, Texas, US

The only people ridiculing the particular model were the ones who did the search and pointed the real model out.  We have all seen postings very similar to what I originally posted.  The intent was no more ridicule than the other thread currently running about "most unusual model cancellations."

Dec 02 06 01:29 pm Link