Forums > General Industry > Cool background materials

Photographer

JDR Imagery

Laurel Springs, New Jersey, US

Not that grey muslin backdrops arent the cats meow, but I think they have been used before...  Any idea on neat, and inexpensive background materials that might give a fresh and edgy look?

Thanks a google,
Jeff

Dec 01 06 05:11 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

JDR Imagery wrote:
Not that grey muslin backdrops arent the cats meow, but I think they have been used before...  Any idea on neat, and inexpensive background materials that might give a fresh and edgy look?

Thanks a google,
Jeff

fake fur.

Dec 01 06 05:24 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

wall paper (selective)

Dec 01 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

Go to home depot and buy a few 8x4 panels of false brick work,wood paneling.You can just lean them against a wall ,just one for close up or two side by side for full figure.You can also lay them on the floor to look like brick floor or wood flooring.Infact you can lean the brick panel against the wall and lay the wood paneling down on floor against it for effect.They can be bulking to move around but they last forever and can be stored stand up right against the wall behind your backdrop.
    Also,go to art supply store and buy foram board that is colored like marble or stone work.comes in 4x4 sheets.

Dec 01 06 09:34 pm Link

Model

The Peabo

Los Angeles, California, US

Tin sheets (from the home improvement store)..love the wavy kind for an industrial look!

Dec 01 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Raw, unbleached canvas dropcloths, long, plain curtains (so they look like stage curtains) all can be cool.

Dec 01 06 09:46 pm Link

Model

Briene Smith

Chicago, Illinois, US

You could just go to the fabric store...or you could go to the Junk Yard get some sheets of some kind of Odd Material...Wait no just shoot in the fucking Junk yard Lol

Dec 01 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

The Peabo wrote:
Tin sheets (from the home improvement store)..love the wavy kind for an industrial look!

Even better if you can get weathered ones with a little rust and a few nail holes.

Dec 01 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Here's a very cool site to get ideas from:

http://www.mayang.com/textures/index.htm

Dec 01 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

How about exterior? I love location shots

Dec 01 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

cheep blankets from wal mart lol use them all the time and you can sleep with them also in my old apartment i hung a blanket on the wall above my couch where i sleped because i had no bed and i would pose people on the couch with the blanket there was just enf of the blanket coming down off the wall so that i could cover up with at night

example
https://newton-i.usefilm.com/images/8/2/6/826/211589-large.jpg

Dec 01 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Offshore Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Painters drop cloth, heavy canvas type
https://offshorephotography.ca/page2/files/page2-1006-full.jpg

Dec 01 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

If you're artistic at all, just by a roll of plain black background paper, (I buy the 9' wide rolls) for $20+ and design your own back drop. You can use anything from paints, to pastels, to charcoal.

Dec 01 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

schipper photo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Offshore Photography wrote:
Painters drop cloth, heavy canvas type
https://offshorephotography.ca/page2/files/page2-1006-full.jpg

Just had to tell ya that's the sweetest little kid, the wonder and innocence in those
eyes are hypnotic!

Dec 01 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

schipper photo

Santa Barbara, California, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
If you're artistic at all, just by a roll of plain black background paper, (I buy the 9' wide rolls) for $20+ and design your own back drop. You can use anything from paints, to pastels, to charcoal.

Wow, $20.?  I gotta shop where you go! Who or where, hope it's a chain store.  I pay
@ $38. and that's w/pro discount at Samy's camera..

Dec 01 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

schipper photo wrote:

Wow, $20.?  I gotta shop where you go! Who or where, hope it's a chain store.  I pay
@ $38. and that's w/pro discount at Samy's camera..

I'll ask my son, he is the one that picks it up for me. I'll put you in my favs.

Dec 01 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Wronkled bedsheets!

(Inside joke for the members who have been around awhile...)

Dec 01 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

E|||B wrote:
Wronkled bedsheets!

(Inside joke for the members who have been around awhile...)

Don't forget blue plastic tarp.

Dec 01 06 10:35 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

stan wigmore photograph wrote:
Go to home depot and buy a few 8x4 panels of false brick work,wood paneling.You can just lean them against a wall ,just one for close up or two side by side for full figure.You can also lay them on the floor to look like brick floor or wood flooring.Infact you can lean the brick panel against the wall and lay the wood paneling down on floor against it for effect.They can be bulking to move around but they last forever and can be stored stand up right against the wall behind your backdrop.
    Also,go to art supply store and buy foram board that is colored like marble or stone work.comes in 4x4 sheets.

Bricks are hard to pull as a good background, the wood looks nicely tho

Dec 01 06 10:48 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Jeff Genung wrote:
Here's a very cool site to get ideas from:

http://www.mayang.com/textures/index.htm

Thanks - good link.

Dec 01 06 10:49 pm Link