Photographer

HV images

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Hi all

So, I have PS CS6 in trial mode, this is the very first time I have used it and came across a problem.

If I apply an adjustment layer and then flatten the image, the changes are not saved. I can definitely see a small difference in the flattened image compared against the original file.

It is not the full effect of the adjustment layer, just a small difference.

See the following example:

this the original file.

https://www.hvalladares.com/mm/capture.JPG

This is with an adjustment layer.

https://www.hvalladares.com/mm/capture1.JPG

In the final image all I did was to right click on the layers and selected "flatten image", as you can see, the flattened image doesn't look the same as the image with the adjustment layer.

https://www.hvalladares.com/mm/capture3.JPG

Any help will be appreciated.

Oct 11 15 03:56 am Link

Photographer

ThomasBlanchardFineArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

That is odd.  Are you able to make a stamp visible layer?  On Mac control shift opion E.

Oct 11 15 05:11 am Link

Photographer

HV images

ThomasBlanchardFineArt wrote:
That is odd.  Are you able to make a stamp visible layer?  On Mac control shift opion E.

Yes, that's actually how I found out the issue, I was trying to merge visible layers when I noticed that it wasn't saving as supposed to, next I tried to do a stamp of all visible layers, the stamp shows as it is supposed to, when you go to either flatten or create a new jpg file it doesn't save the same way as it looks with all the layers... very strange.

By the way, I am using a fresh install windows 10.

I still have my CS5 disc, i might install it to see if there's a difference.

Oct 11 15 05:33 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

Are you viewing at 100% ?

Oct 11 15 06:20 am Link

Photographer

HV images

AKMac wrote:
Are you viewing at 100% ?

Viewing the complete frame, not zoomed in.

Oct 11 15 06:48 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

But is your zoom setting at 100% ? It might not be relevant, but it's one thing to eliminate.

Oct 11 15 08:06 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

HV images wrote:
By the way, I am using a fresh install windows 10.

uh oh!

I've been reading complaints about Windows 10 doing this in an effort to increase the speed to load images by degrading them (JPG's especially).  Yeah, it runs faster, but seems there is a catch too.

Search for "Windows 10 poor images" in Google.

Maybe try this?  https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/commen … indows_10/

Good luck!

Oct 11 15 08:34 am Link

Photographer

DaveDavis

Manteca, California, US

I had a major biggie with Windows 10 and CS6, which I just couldn't stand any more and when back to Win7.
When holding down the space bar, I got the "hand" for dragging around a zoomed image, but I could not move the image.
When hitting the H keyboard shortcut everything worked fine...  But after too many years of using the space bar, I just couldn't deal with it...

Oct 11 15 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Visual Kapture

Chicago, Illinois, US

Its not a Windows 10 issue.  Its been bugging folks for versions.   Instead of flattening, just select all the layers and merge, and your adjustments should be there.  Its an extra step, but hey this isnt strenuous work.

Oct 14 15 10:06 am Link

Photographer

HV images

Visual Kapture wrote:
Its not a Windows 10 issue.  Its been bugging folks for versions.   Instead of flattening, just select all the layers and merge, and your adjustments should be there.  Its an extra step, but hey this isnt strenuous work.

That's how I found out the problem in the first place (see above). I went to merge visible layers and the merged layer looked nothing like before merging.

Oct 16 15 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Visual Kapture

Chicago, Illinois, US

HV images wrote:
That's how I found out the problem in the first place (see above). I went to merge visible layers and the merged layer looked nothing like before merging.

I used MERGE LAYERS, not MERGE VISIBLE.    Im using CS6 and have never had an issue with losing layer adjustments.  Maybe its a bug in non-US versions of PS.

Oct 17 15 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

I was unable to reproduce that behavior on my Windows 10 computer. I note that you are showing this example with a jpg file. This is just a shot in the dark, but I am wondering if there might be some recompression artifacting going on here.

Oct 17 15 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

HV images

Eye of the World wrote:
I was unable to reproduce that behavior on my Windows 10 computer. I note that you are showing this example with a jpg file. This is just a shot in the dark, but I am wondering if there might be some recompression artifacting going on here.

Something else to try, thanks.

I am in hospital atm, will try when I get back home.

Oct 18 15 03:49 am Link