Forums > General Industry > What would you do?

Model

Jessica Marie Schwartz

Buffalo, New York, US

Okay, so I'm contacted by a tog in Canada with an artistic vision, so on and so forth. Fine, whatever. He wants to book me for two days for his big project launch, for which I am supposed to be paid, travel expenses covered, etc. Very Good. Now, here's my issue....guy wants me to send him a $100 deposit via moneygram tomorrow filled out to his accountant. His reasoning was that 'he just started doing that because he had girls flake on him and he was out money for it, now this way the MUA he's booked won't have to get paid out of his pocket if I decide not to bother at the last minute or something' Now. In all my years of modeling (there's a few) I have NEVER been asked to do such a thing....what would you do?

Nov 30 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Morton

CARMEL VALLEY, California, US

Oh, I'd certainly send him the money.  Once you've done so, I'd like to chat with you about some lovely land I have for sale in Florida.  Oh, and a bridge.  I'm sure you'd like to buy the Golden Gate.....

Seriously, this whole thing is horse exhuast.  Why on earth would anyone reputable ask a model to send him money.  While the gig sounds good (it would, wouldn't it?), just remember that if somethng sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Howard

Nov 30 06 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

oh hell no

Nov 30 06 09:44 pm Link

Model

ooxoo

Marquette, Iowa, US

Rule of Thumb: (to me anyway) Never send money to a person asking you to send the money to some other name.

too sketchy

Nov 30 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

You can either except it or move on. Its that simple.

I personally don't do it, but I'm starting to see more and more photographers start to charge deposits, even for TFP shoots.

Take it or leave it.

Nov 30 06 09:48 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

why don't you just post date the check for 2 weeks after the shoot? then if he trys to scam you put a stop check on it.

Nov 30 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Jessalyn wrote:
why don't you just post date the check for 2 weeks after the shoot? then if he trys to scam you put a stop check on it.

Yeah, but this guy's outside the US (albeit Canada) and wanting her to wire funds to someone else

Nov 30 06 10:02 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Yeah, but this guy's outside the US (albeit Canada) and wanting her to wire funds to someone else

hm. good call.

well I'm outta ideas.

Nov 30 06 10:04 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Photosculpt

Ocean City, Maryland, US

Try the mutual destruction policy...ask him to send you a moneygram for $100 made out to him.  When you send him one, have it made out to you.  When you show up, swap Moneygrams and cash them!

EDIT:  You could also use escrow.com.  They do international money stuff between the US and Canada.  Personally, I would pass this up.  Sounds like you will be out $100 with no tickets to anywhere.

Nov 30 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

Ami S

Maysville, Georgia, US

I also had a photographer from canada approach me a few weeks ago, he also had a great sounding project in mind, paying, travel expences covered, etc.

Suddenly when it came down to the day he said he was making the flight reservations he suddenly said he needed $100 deposit, due to the flake rate 'his investors have had to deal with in the past'.

After that the conversation was never about anything other than "When can you send it?" "How soon can you send it?"

I might have pasted up a prefectly legitimate opportunity but I said "sorry but I am not able to send you the deposit".

Nov 30 06 10:11 pm Link

Model

Jessica Marie Schwartz

Buffalo, New York, US

The more I look into it the less I care for it....I can't find any of this guy's stuff anywhere on the internet...KNS Designs in Toronto...anyone heard of it?

Nov 30 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

There's nothing wrong with asking a model for a deposit if *she's* paying *you.* Asking a model you're paying for a deposit is sort of contrary to the course.

If he's just worried that you'll flake, tell him you'll be glad to send him a deposit as soon as he sends you paper confirmation of nonrefundable travel arrangements.

M

Nov 30 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

Jessica Marie Schwartz wrote:
Okay, so I'm contacted by a tog in Canada...

I am not in Canada!

Nov 30 06 10:14 pm Link

Model

Ami S

Maysville, Georgia, US

The more I look into it the less I care for it....I can't find any of this guy's stuff anywhere on the internet...KNS Designs in Toronto...anyone heard of it?

lol is his name Kristian???

and he sent you a nondisclosure statement saying you couldn't tell anyone about the project and also never discuss your payment???

Nov 30 06 10:17 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Ami S wrote:

lol is his name Kristian???

and he sent you a nondisclosure statement saying you couldn't tell anyone about the project and also never discuss your payment???

Hope not, I got an "offer" from him about a year ago.  Ugh.

Dec 01 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tell you what. Instead of going to Canada for a shoot, come to Atlanta and send me just 75 bucks. My name is Abercromby Fitch, but make it out to my neighbor, Doug Lester. I'll meet you at the airport when you arrive. And by the way, I know this guy in Nigeria who if trying to find some nice person to give 25 million bucks to.

Dec 01 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A few things.

Moneygram and Western Union are used heavily by scammers, because unlike a check... once the money is received the sender cannot get the money back.

The money you send will be untraceable and non-refundable.

(the information provided was meant for general information purposes only and is no indication whether the photographer in question is acting improperly or not)

------------------

Secondly, it's never a good idea to use post dated checks, because in many jurisdictions the check is actually good the moment it's written. 

Here's a couple examples:
http://www.wdfi.org/ymm/tip_of_month/sept16.htm
http://www.riley.army.mil/view/article. … 0-45187-58

Dec 01 06 01:05 am Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Run.

Dec 01 06 01:17 am Link

Model

Elizabeth Susann

Sacramento, California, US

Well I think everyone else has pinpointed it- RUN... but just a reminder and a bump for this post that it is a horrible idea and a way to get screwed.  Personal experience, of course smile  UGH.  I hate this situation.  Good thing we all get smarter along the way....

Good luck... !

Dec 01 06 01:49 am Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

A lot of photographers are charging to keep flakes from happening I hear.

If he is in Canada, make sure to send him Canadian funds which will save you big bucks don't send American money!  Or maybe you can send him monopoly money!

I had a persone wanting to send me 4500 bucks for a wedding, I was to take out my fee and give the rest to her wedding planner since she was still in london England.  I didn't want to responsibility for the money that wasn't mine, and I never said I would do the wedding.  I only know the date, she never gave me any time or place of the Church, rec. etc. so how was I suppose to accept a blank assignment.  I'm not even sure what city she will be married in!  Why didn't the wedding planner contact me then.

If it sounds fishy, then let it go, better be safe than sorry.

Dec 01 06 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Miguel Angel Paredes

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Okay, so I'm contacted by a tog in Canada with an artistic vision, so on and so forth. Fine, whatever. He wants to book me for two days for his big project launch, for which I am supposed to be paid, travel expenses covered, etc. Very Good. Now, here's my issue....guy wants me to send him a $100 deposit via moneygram tomorrow filled out to his accountant. His reasoning was that 'he just started doing that because he had girls flake on him and he was out money for it, now this way the MUA he's booked won't have to get paid out of his pocket if I decide not to bother at the last minute or something' Now. In all my years of modeling (there's a few) I have NEVER been asked to do such a thing....what would you do?

I only need 50 bucks... feel free to send some cash my way wink

on a silly... or serious note???

if he has $$$ to pay for the assignment, the travel and such... why can't he pay the MUA???

I say be like the Soup Nazi... NO MONEY FOR YOU!!!

Just my 2 cents... (Hey, look at it this way, now all you have to send me is 49.98)

Dec 01 06 02:53 am Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

Lots of photographers are now asking for deposits from models because of no show/cancellation problems.This does not mean he is a fake,but certainly he should be able to give you enough references that have done the same with him for you to check on.If he cann't give you that satisfacition ,then he is no doubt a fake.

Dec 01 06 12:53 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

1. ask him for the names of three girls that did this and for their contact information.

2. tell him you will send him a check and post-date it to the day of the shoot. if you're not there, he can cash it.

I've been asked to wire money to a pay pal account for a shoot and opted not to do it...but that's my preference.

Dec 01 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

That you even have to ask this question makes me worry.  For you!  smile

Dec 01 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

First I'd find my other sock, then cook some perogies cause I'm really hungry.  Then I would not send him any money.

Dec 01 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jessalyn wrote:

That works!

If he doesn't agree, you'll know something's up!

Dec 01 06 11:53 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Totally off-topic, but I think a lot of photographers here view "tog" as some sort of derisive slur...

Dec 02 06 01:12 am Link