Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Affinity Photo better than Photoshop?

Photographer

Sendu

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion of Affinity Photo now that it's officially out.

I've been playing around with it, still going through the video tutorials.

Some things I really like so far are the speed (it works super-quick with Canon 5Ds raw files), the frequency separation UI, and the effectiveness/ ease of use of the selection tools for fine details like hair.

Is there anything missing that high-end retouchers need for skin work?

Jul 12 15 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

It looks really interesting, however they'll never be a serious contender as long as they're Mac only. That might have worked years ago when Mac dominated the creative space, but that's just not the case any more. Maybe they're just doing a phased platform rollout, but some of their verbiage would suggest not.

Jul 12 15 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Sendu

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
It looks really interesting, however they'll never be a serious contender as long as they're Mac only. That might have worked years ago when Mac dominated the creative space, but that's just not the case any more. Maybe they're just doing a phased platform rollout, but some of their verbiage would suggest not.

If you're a Mac user I'm not sure it's relevant how good their sales are compared to Adobe. I'm not in the business of being a company cheerleader; I'm interested in what the best tool for the job is.

I started the thread because I don't want to invest too much time learning new software if there's something significant it can't do. I only know a few of the most common retouching techniques and want to have room to learn and implement advanced techniques in the future.

So far I can see a number of ways Affinity is better than Photoshop, but can't think of any ways Photoshop is better than Affinity.

Jul 12 15 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Interesting.   Is it for sale or just pay as you go?  I love stuff I can buy even though I am not a MAC user.

Jul 13 15 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Sendu

Personality Imaging wrote:
Interesting.   Is it for sale or just pay as you go?  I love stuff I can buy even though I am not a MAC user.

One of their key selling points is that they're purchase-to-own-only, no subscriptions. The lifetime purchase costs as much as about 3 months of the "Photography" creative cloud bundle.

Jul 13 15 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Thanks Sendu!  Hope they come out with a Windows version.   I'm in.

Jul 13 15 02:23 am Link

Retoucher

HugoESTOURNET

Paris, Île-de-France, France

What seems to miss seriously is an actionscript panel.
Otherwise many many advantages (split windows views, vector scope, fft filter...).

Did anyone noticed the Sharpen / blur mask filter : really efficient. Is this a deconvolution tool ?
I didn't find documentation about it.

I mainly see affinity photo as a psd complementary tool.

Jul 13 15 02:33 am Link

Retoucher

Cole Bettelyoun

Martin, South Dakota, US

looks awesome

Jul 14 15 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Sendu wrote:

If you're a Mac user I'm not sure it's relevant how good their sales are compared to Adobe. I'm not in the business of being a company cheerleader; I'm interested in what the best tool for the job is.

I started the thread because I don't want to invest too much time learning new software if there's something significant it can't do. I only know a few of the most common retouching techniques and want to have room to learn and implement advanced techniques in the future.

So far I can see a number of ways Affinity is better than Photoshop, but can't think of any ways Photoshop is better than Affinity.

I wasn't cheerleading for any company - just making the point that now days to be a real contender within the creative application space, the software has to be cross platform.

Jul 14 15 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I wasn't cheerleading for any company - just making the point that now days to be a real contender within the creative application space, the software has to be cross platform.

I agree. But I can't see why if they have any serious success with the mac version why they wouldn't release a PC version.

Of course I am just speculating here.

Jul 15 15 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Sendu wrote:

One of their key selling points is that they're purchase-to-own-only, no subscriptions. The lifetime purchase costs as much as about 3 months of the "Photography" creative cloud bundle.

That sounds like a bargain.  I hope they manage to pop Adobe's arrogant bubble.

Jul 15 15 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Sendu

HugoESTOURNET wrote:
What seems to miss seriously is an actionscript panel.

Do you mean recorded macros? It's on their roadmap.

Jul 15 15 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Feverstockphoto

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

On initial look at a couple of their videos, it looks very good! Call me if/when pc windows version comes out smile.

Jul 16 15 12:40 pm Link

Retoucher

HugoESTOURNET

Paris, Île-de-France, France

thanks sendu!

Jul 16 15 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Deida

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

Oh JASC. Ya coulda been a contender ! smile

Looks good !

Jul 16 15 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Visual Times

Very interesting program..!

Aug 30 15 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

OS X 10.7 or later? No thank you.

Aug 31 15 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's very good once you get the hang of if...MAC only though. All major equiv features are there and it's a bit faster I assume because there is less "bloat" in the code. Can't go wrong for $40

Sep 06 15 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

I REALLY like this software. 

Is it as good as photoshop?  I can't say for anyone but me.  My answer is YES, it's better.  It's faster, and intuitive.  I love it.  $40 license.  No "cloud" subscription.  I dig Affinity.

Sep 06 15 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

I agree. But I can't see why if they have any serious success with the mac version why they wouldn't release a PC version.

Of course I am just speculating here.

Because programming for a different OS is very costly and time consuming. You're not starting from scratch, but there is an awful lot of work to do; it's not a simple conversion. If nothing else, the fact that Mac and Windows have different default colour and print management systems means that at least those parts need to be redone. I'm sure there are a lot of others.

They're probably waiting until they feel enough Windows users will buy it to start making a Windows version.

Speaking of print management, I'd be curious to know how good the print drivers in this are. In the past, it was worth it for photographers that did their own printing to buy full PS over elements on the strength of the drivers alone. It wasn't uncommon to print the same file from both programs, and get a better print from full PS.

There are a lot of cheap programs that have print drivers as good as PS, or which have pros and cons that level out. There are also lots of cheap programs that edit as well as PS, or which at least do some part of the editing as well as PS.

The reason I bought full PS wasn't because it was the only thing that did what I wanted; I bought it because I couldn't find any way to replace its capabilities without using multiple programs. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that.

It will be interesting to see where this goes in the future, and whether it takes hold as a powerful cross-platform editing tool, or if it becomes another GIMP or Quad-tone RIP that needs other pieces of software to hit its full potential.

Sep 07 15 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Really?  The last two agencies I worked for the entire creative departments were all Mac.  I took a tour at BBDO and they were the same, all Mac,just like they were 10 years ago.  These are some of the largest marketing agencies in the US, I can't speak to freelancers

Sep 07 15 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

AJ_In_Atlanta wrote:
Really?  The last two agencies I worked for the entire creative departments were all Mac.  I took a tour at BBDO and they were the same, all Mac,just like they were 10 years ago.  These are some of the largest marketing agencies in the US, I can't speak to freelancers

Not to start a Mac/Windows debate, but I highly doubt those agencies are Affinity's target market.

When you can afford to buy a dozen PowerMacs at a go, the cost savings of Affinity is fairly minor in proportion. Plus those agencies are a lot more likely to keep buying the newest version of Creative Suite; for them, the subscription model is actually a much better deal.

A new version of Affinity, plus whatever the equivalent versions of Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and Premiere are could easily cost the same per year as a CC subscription, and on top of that you need to train new hires to use software different from what they already learned in school. And you're no longer using the software that is industry standard! Even if Affinity had free updates for life, the majority of large businesses will still use Photoshop - at least until the very moment that Affinity becomes standard, and is taught in schools.

I think most of Affinity's customers are going to be individuals, and small businesses with just a handful of employees. If you have to budget for a new machine, and you're not sending in-process files back and forth between another business, and you're not regularly getting new employees that need training ... well then at that point, buying this once seems like a pretty good alternative to the subscription model.

Sep 07 15 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Not to start a Mac/Windows debate, but I highly doubt those agencies are Affinity's target market.

When you can afford to buy a dozen PowerMacs at a go, the cost savings of Affinity is fairly minor in proportion. Plus those agencies are a lot more likely to keep buying the newest version of Creative Suite; for them, the subscription model is actually a much better deal.

A new version of Affinity, plus whatever the equivalent versions of Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and Premiere are could easily cost the same per year as a CC subscription, and on top of that you need to train new hires to use software different from what they already learned in school. And you're no longer using the software that is industry standard! Even if Affinity had free updates for life, the majority of large businesses will still use Photoshop - at least until the very moment that Affinity becomes standard, and is taught in schools.

I think most of Affinity's customers are going to be individuals, and small businesses with just a handful of employees. If you have to budget for a new machine, and you're not sending in-process files back and forth between another business, and you're not regularly getting new employees that need training ... well then at that point, buying this once seems like a pretty good alternative to the subscription model.

True, the slightly higher costs for a Mac are the least of their concerns.

As for the software it sounds like I need to take a look.  Not that I don't fully plan to run PS6 as long as possible.

Sep 08 15 08:02 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

I like it a lot. For me, it could better than PS, simply because PS has always been so intimidating to me, up to the point that I really didn't and still don't enjoy retouching. I am a love-taking-pics-hate-retouching-afterwards kinda guy, so to me, enhancing or experimenting with my pics should be fun first and foremost, not all technical or steps-strict etc.

Affinity looks simpler and easier on the eye, I actually "get it" pretty fast, whereas with PS, I always had to google to find help in required steps. And sure, you can't beat the price, unless you don't have a mac, luckily I have both.

Sep 08 15 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

RINALDI wrote:
I like it a lot. For me, it could better than PS, simply because PS has always been so intimidating to me, up to the point that I really didn't and still don't enjoy retouching. I am a love-taking-pics-hate-retouching-afterwards kinda guy, so to me, enhancing or experimenting with my pics should be fun first and foremost, not all technical or steps-strict etc.

Affinity looks simpler and easier on the eye, I actually "get it" pretty fast, whereas with PS, I always had to google to find help in required steps. And sure, you can't beat the price, unless you don't have a mac, luckily I have both.

I think that this is perfectly said.

PS is just bloatware for me (that is ONLY a comment for me.... Anyone else's experience will vary) and with their new "subscription" model, they can keep it.  Affinity loads in 2 nano seconds and then does its activities blazingly  fast.  It is just easy to use and intuitive.  I liked it so much I wrote to them and asked them to create a Lightroom replacement.  They wrote back and suggested, sadly, that they don't currently have plans to do so.  Too bad.

Sep 08 15 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

AJ_In_Atlanta wrote:

That probably isn't their target market.

Agencies are likely to go the Adobe CC route as many of my clients do for a variety of reasons. Affinity is for the people who use PS Elements etc. The ones who don't have the financial ability or will to pay for the Adobe products but want all the features. Affinity has that with the caveat that the software is MAC only at present.

Adobe is #1 simply because they have the money to develop across two platforms ...pc and mac in addition to a complete software solution.

Sep 08 15 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Cary, North Carolina, US

I can tell you I am VERY interested in trying Affinity. I've also thought about Bloom (Ormr), though that seems less finished. And I've considered GIMP (open source).

I'm not a PS user. Not to get on a high horse, but I don't like the cost; I don't like subscriptions; and I don't like Adobe's business practices. Also, I don't need CMYK output and can usually get away without PS's advanced editing features.

I am a former Aperture user. When Aperture was dropped, I considered Lightroom, but looked at Darktable (open source, Mac, PC, LINUX), Corel Aftershot Pro (semi-decent, but Corel? Seriously?), and finally settled on Capture One. I absolutely LOVE Capture One; it goes way beyond Aperture. It's RAW conversion blows Aperture away, it's file management is more rational than Aperture (which put everything in one giant "library"), and it's pretty feature rich.

Much as I like CO, though, there are times I feel I want to do composites or other things CO can't provide. I expect to check out Affinity in the near future.

Sep 25 15 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Ike Lace Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

It looks really interesting, however they'll never be a serious contender as long as they're Mac only.

Just a Hobby wrote:
I'm not a PS user. Not to get on a high horse, but I don't like the cost;

I absolutely LOVE Capture One; it goes way beyond Aperture.

You don't like the cost of PS but purchased a $300 piece of software and opine about software that costs literally half as much not being as good.

Really?    lightroom is meant for managing large shoots, not mainly retouching.   CO is meant for retouching, with everything else on the side.

Complaining about PS being expensive, then spending twice as much as lightroom for a 'better product', is contradictory, at best.

Sep 25 15 07:53 pm Link