Forums > General Industry > casting legitimacy

Model

KM

BRONX, New York, US

Have you ever recived one of these?

Beautiful Models Inc. is looking for beautiful high fashion and commercial models to cast for print, music video, and film work.Please bring current head and body shots along with portfolio and/or resume..Thursday Nov 30th, 200612 noon to 4pmNew Era53 W. 36th St. Ste# 203 (Between 5th and 6th)NY, NY 10018212. 239.3970

What do you think?

Nov 27 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Have you tried googling the address or the name?

Nov 27 06 06:15 pm Link

Model

Clair Loran

San Francisco, California, US

I just googled the company and I got a design firm for wireless stuff.  Maybe try to find more out and call..or go to the address before hand.

Nov 27 06 06:15 pm Link

Model

KM

BRONX, New York, US

I did and got a whole bunch of crap. I did ask for a link and I'm probably going to call.

Nov 27 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Most 'fakers' have a habit of placing the "Inc." abbreviation after their company name.  To this day I have no idea why they do it... other than to 'look' legitimate.

To become incorporated, a business has to file articles of incorporation with the Secretary of State, pay fees, and sometimes submit to a basic background check.  In this case, the NY Secretary of State has an online database where you can check corporations AND other business entities.

When you type in the business name at http://appsext5.dos.state.ny.us/corp_pu … 7%49%4E%53 , the results displayed are No business entities were found..

No, when a business is incorporated... that is the name that they go under.  There's no dba's or any other excuse.  If it aint there, they aint real!

Nov 27 06 06:45 pm Link

Model

KM

BRONX, New York, US

So basically I shouldn't go right?

Nov 27 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
Most 'fakers' have a habit of placing the "Inc." abbreviation after their company name.  To this day I have no idea why they do it... other than to 'look' legitimate.

When you type in the business name at http://appsext5.dos.state.ny.us/corp_pu … 7%49%4E%53 , the results displayed are No business entities were found..

While I agree with your response, the fact that a company doesn't turn up in the state database, in and of itself, doesn't mean they aren't a legitimately organized corporation.  As an example, they can be a foreign corporation, organized in another state and doing business in New York as well.  You can even have a DBA registered for a foreign corporation, etc, etc, etc.

So checking the database eliminates the obvious, you can be fairly sure there is no corporation registered with the state by the name of Beautiful Models.  There is no guarantee that they aren't otherwise a properly organized corporation using a legitimate name or DBA which simply doesn't turn up on that particular database.  They have a warning to that effect on the the state lookup site.

On the other hand, it could be a scam.  I have opinions, but that is not the point of my post.

Nov 27 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Random Beauty wrote:
Have you ever recived one of these?

Beautiful Models Inc. is looking for beautiful high fashion and commercial models to cast for print, music video, and film work.Please bring current head and body shots along with portfolio and/or resume..Thursday Nov 30th, 200612 noon to 4pmNew Era53 W. 36th St. Ste# 203 (Between 5th and 6th)NY, NY 10018212. 239.3970

What do you think?

Go check it out.  What do you have to lose?

Nov 27 06 08:26 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

I agree, check it out.  It's not like you'll have to drive across the country, and it may pan out.

Nov 27 06 08:28 pm Link