Forums > General Industry > You should have seen it! It was a disaster!

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

My place that is.......

Instead of renting a studio, I chose to rent lighting and set up shop in my apartment over the weekend. Of all rooms, I chose the livingroom/dining room combination since it gave me an area approximately 13' X 24'.

There was furniture stacked everywhere, as well as make shift make-up/prep areas. Blankets tacked over all the windows, Chihuahuas barking because I took their nap area away, (though doggy treats shut 'em up).

The shoot went great, but I am the type individual that hates clean up. I convinced my wife that it's a ritual for MUAs in training (her) to bring order back to our humble home. Ok, before you go all crazy on me, yes I helped. big_smile

What an experience it was. I'm thinking from now on it's back to the rented studio for me.

Gary

Nov 27 06 04:57 pm Link

Model

Miss Nicole

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Sounds like a typical weekend around here. The complete destruction of home always makes for a great shoot...double points if personal injury is involved!

Nov 27 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I was going to say welcome to my world, but I have to clean up after I shoot if it's at someone else's apartment/home.

I use a converted family room for my “studio” which is half the size you used. Is there a way to convert a smaller room in your dwelling to a dedicated studio use only room?

Nov 27 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
I convinced my wife that it's a ritual for MUAs in training (her) to bring order back to our humble home.

I sure as hell hope she brought you a beer while you had your feet up watch'n the ball game big_smile

Nov 27 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Is there a way to convert a smaller room in your dwelling to a dedicated studio use only room?

We have a smaller bedroom that is used for storage. I'm trying to convince my wife that she would be much happier in a smaller room once I take all of the boxes to a rented storage place. Our larger room is approximately 12'X18' which would work out ok for me. Though for full body shots I would need to buy a decent wider angle prime... big_smile

Gary

Nov 27 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

C R Photography wrote:

I sure as hell hope she brought you a beer while you had your feet up watch'n the ball game big_smile

Still looking for the TV... big_smile

Nov 27 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
My place that is.......

Instead of renting a studio, I chose to rent lighting and set up shop in my apartment over the weekend. Of all rooms, I chose the livingroom/dining room combination since it gave me an area approximately 13' X 24'.

There was furniture stacked everywhere, as well as make shift make-up/prep areas. Blankets tacked over all the windows, Chihuahuas barking because I took their nap area away, (though doggy treats shut 'em up).

The shoot went great, but I am the type individual that hates clean up. I convinced my wife that it's a ritual for MUAs in training (her) to bring order back to our humble home. Ok, before you go all crazy on me, yes I helped. big_smile

What an experience it was. I'm thinking from now on it's back to the rented studio for me.

Gary

big baby

Nov 27 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

The Don Mon wrote:

big baby

big_smile

Nov 27 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

We have a smaller bedroom that is used for storage. I'm trying to convince my wife that she would be much happier in a smaller room once I take all of the boxes to a rented storage place. Our larger room is approximately 12'X18' which would work out ok for me. Though for full body shots I would need to buy a decent wider angle prime... big_smile

Gary

*starts to chant*   Gary - Gary - Gary!

Nov 27 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

LOUDER PLEASE!

Nov 27 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

GLB Graphics wrote:
LOUDER PLEASE!

*repeats chant* GARY! GARY! GARY! GARYYYYYYYYY!

Nov 27 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Craig Thomson wrote:

*repeats chant* GARY! GARY! GARY! GARYYYYYYYYY!

I think it's working! My wife is standing behind me laughing if that means anything... big_smile

Nov 27 06 07:53 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Miss Nicole wrote:
The complete destruction of home always makes for a great shoot...double points if personal injury is involved!

The last in-house shoot I was involved in, one of the photographers started up a rousing game of "Bruise the Muse".

I think all of the girls are still sore.  Does that mean triple points? smile

Nov 27 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
I think it's working! My wife is standing behind me laughing if that means anything... big_smile

*whispers to Gary, check your zipper again*

Edit: that was assuming you wear the pants in the family…wtf was I thinking?

Nov 27 06 09:41 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Gee, my friend and I did that one day in my bedroom. There was one piece of furniture that remained unmoved... that was the 'block and board' bookshelf, and that was only because we would have had to take the entire thing apaprt, including all the books on it!

Nov 27 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

*whispers to Gary, check your zipper again*

Edit: that was assuming you wear the pants in the family…wtf was I thinking?

LOL! I must be doing something right. WE start working on the transformation this weekend.

Nov 28 06 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
I convinced my wife that it's a ritual for MUAs in training (her) to bring order back to our humble home.
Gary

i'm looking for a mua, does she work tfcd?

Nov 28 06 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Stacy Leigh

New York, New York, US

I live in NYC, and at the moment, cannot afford to rent a studio space. I use my living/dining room for every photoshoot I have ever taken. I have painted the walls all sorts of colors (most recently a grass green) just to make it look different.

My husband is USELESS!!!!!!! I have to move everything myself- including my Realdolls which weigh 80 lbs. each (dead weight) I wish I had a designated room in my apartment to use as a studio. I really DISLIKE tearing my house apart once or twice a week.

I feel for you and your wife.

Stacy Leigh

Nov 28 06 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
My place that is.......

Gary

That's a damn shame. You need your ass whipped. Lol!

Nov 28 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:
GLB Graphics wrote:

Gary i'm looking for a mua, does she work tfcd?

I just asked her and her reply was, "Did he read the "IN TRAINING" part?" Actually at the moment she is working with family and friends until her confidence is built up a little more, but thanks for asking.

Nov 28 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
That's a damn shame. You need your ass whipped. Lol!

big_smile

Nov 28 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

LOL! I must be doing something right. WE start working on the transformation this weekend.

Cues the hot cheerleaders - Push em back push em back - wayyy back - WE WIN!!!

Nov 28 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

eg

Miami Beach, Florida, US

well...it was a lingerie, nude, erotic shoot?...if it wasn't is not worth it!!

Nov 28 06 02:58 pm Link