Forums > General Industry > Back and Forth and just pick up a phone dammit!

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Once again, the communication I have with a photographer comes to a standstill. I respond to a casting with all of the information he's asking for and in turn, ask for more details such as date, place, mua provided or not (if not, can i provide one), clothing ideas, etc.

He responds with an answer to one question.

I resend all the other ones.

He responds to one question.

Um.....

So I say- look, do you like my look and are you interested? Because if so, here's my number xxx-xxx-xxxx, please call me so we don't go back and forth like this...or give me yours and tell me when to call.

Response:  Yes, I like your look.

WTF?!?!?!?!

I know people are stupid, but gimme a break here. Mind you, I see photogs on here all the time complaining that models do this time and time again...newsflash, photographers are just as guilty.

bleh.

Nov 27 06 01:49 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

I get headaches when even after I get a number. Our schedules seem to never fit. blah

Nov 27 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I have to agree that the scheduling and discussion process sucks up a lot of time. I've finally gotten to the point where I'm trying to do it all once a month. It doesn't really reduce the time, but at least I take the hit for just one week.

An awesome feature for MM is an automatic scheduler - click on buttons to indicate available dates, click on buttons to accept, click on buttons to confirm, specify rates, etc, lol. Now that's a feature worth paying big money for!

Nov 27 06 02:14 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Yipes danalla just drop the moron...if he can't answer questions about a shoot then he is not worth your time..

I like rue's idea about a calandar,,,

Nov 27 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

Daniela V wrote:
Once again, the communication I have with a photographer comes to a standstill. I respond to a casting with all of the information he's asking for and in turn, ask for more details such as date, place, mua provided or not (if not, can i provide one), clothing ideas, etc.

Um.....

So I say- look, do you like my look and are you interested? Because if so, here's my number xxx-xxx-xxxx, please call me so we don't go back and forth like this...or give me yours and tell me when to call.

WTF?!?!?!?!

I know people are stupid, but gimme a break here. Mind you, I see photogs on here all the time complaining that models do this time and time again...newsflash, photographers are just as guilty.

bleh.

I agree not matter weather it be model or bphotographer ,this thing with texting back and forth does not make any sence its just a waist of time ,

Nov 27 06 02:32 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Iona Lynn wrote:
Yipes danalla just drop the moron...if he can't answer questions about a shoot then he is not worth your time..

I agree- though this is just one examples of over a dozen this past month alone...why can't people just get it together and send either a full response or a phone number?

Nov 27 06 02:33 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

at least he could type in english???
It has gotten where I can almost guess the outcome of a shoot in the first introductory email..

Nov 27 06 02:35 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Its pretty sad that I actually have a list of questions (its like 4) in my profile. Wanna know the number of people that actually look at them and make an attempt to even have all of that information in their inquiry? ohhh about one every several MONTHS. Its sad that people don't stop to take the time to pay attention. And yeah, this does run both ways between models and photographers. Flakey people are just flakey people.

Its amazing that people have hours upon hours to do something the least effective way, but yet they can't take 10 minutes to do it right the first time.
Take the time it takes so it takes less time.

Nov 27 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sorry, I got intimidated. sad

Nov 27 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

I can beat that.

I sent a model an email Sunday morning, to confirm a shoot we had scheduled for 12:30pm. No response, nada. No show, no phone call.

At 5:30pm, she sent me an email asking where my studio was. No apology, no mention that she had missed the shoot, nada.

I wrote back reminding her that if she just looked up two messages in the thread, she would see my studio address, directions, and my phone number -- all of which she had acknowledged receiving just a few days earlier.

Sometimes my head hurts.

Paul

Nov 27 06 02:37 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Ransom J wrote:
Sorry, I got intimidated. sad

Oh hush. Not you- duh tongue

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

Daniela V wrote:

Um.....

WTF?!?!?!?!

bleh.

I agree not matter weather it be a model or photographer ,this thing with texting back and forth does not make any sence its just a waste of time . Answer the message then iron out details on the phone so their is no miss communication

Model

Dances with Wolves

NC17 wrote:
Its pretty sad that I actually have a list of questions (its like 4) in my profile. Wanna know the number of people that actually look at them and make an attempt to even have all of that information in their inquiry? ohhh about one every several MONTHS.

I completely agree with this. I have a whole FAQ (i.e. don't ask me these questions because I don't work with people that can't read and then draw up releases for me to sign) section that gets ignored all the time. And then I'M the bitch for replying with "learn how to read retard."

Ok, maybe that's bitchy- but still.

Nov 27 06 02:38 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Rue 99 wrote:
I have to agree that the scheduling and discussion process sucks up a lot of time. I've finally gotten to the point where I'm trying to do it all once a month. It doesn't really reduce the time, but at least I take the hit for just one week.

An awesome feature for MM is an automatic scheduler - click on buttons to indicate available dates, click on buttons to accept, click on buttons to confirm, specify rates, etc, lol. Now that's a feature worth paying big money for!

I would pay for that in a heartbeat!

Nov 27 06 03:22 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Personally, I prefer to set up specifics via email because there is a paper trail.  I forget things from time to time, and I know photographers do, too, so it's good to have...

...especially if something weird happens, like you show up for a casual shoot and the photographer says he thought you were gonna get nekkid instead.

Nov 27 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Sometimes you don't have all the details when you contact a model.

I know that for me the hardest part is corrdinating schedules with a model and MUA (especaily MUAs).

I may not be able to finalize the details for a shoot until the day before.

I hate to commit to something and then try to take it back when I can't deliver on my end.

Nov 27 06 03:32 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Josie Nutter wrote:
Personally, I prefer to set up specifics via email because there is a paper trail.  I forget things from time to time, and I know photographers do, too, so it's good to have...

...especially if something weird happens, like you show up for a casual shoot and the photographer says he thought you were gonna get nekkid instead.

Paper trail is fine as long as the communication is clear.

Nov 27 06 03:44 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Mickle Design Werks wrote:

1. if you said that to me, we would never shoot. I need more than 24 hours in advance.

2. if you aren't up front about that, I assume you're going to irritate a lot of people who are trying to work with you.

Nov 27 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

jack4photos

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I think a preliminary exchange of emails can answer most questions. I agree with OP that all issues should be addressed in one message.

After that, I insist on a phone call to discuss details. I usually confirm details by email so there is no doubt about what I think was agreed to.

Jack

Nov 27 06 03:51 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

jack4photos wrote:
I think a preliminary exchange of emails can answer most questions. I agree with OP that all issues should be addressed in one message.

After that, I insist on a phone call to discuss details. I usually confirm details by email so there is no doubt about what I think was agreed to.

Jack

Yes.  I like details via email, at least one phone call, and finalized details in email.  That way, we've chatted and know what to expect; and I can print out little things like wardrobe specifics (for packing) and studio addresses, etc.

Nov 27 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Daniela V wrote:

Um.....

WTF?!?!?!?!

bleh.

This internet communication drives me up the wall. WHile it certainly has its place, total correspondence over this medium is extremely cumbersome and frustrating

Nov 27 06 04:18 pm Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

Los Angeles, California, US

Daniela V wrote:

Um.....

WTF?!?!?!?!

bleh.

LOL...

All the best,
Britt

Nov 27 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Daniela V wrote:
1. if you said that to me, we would never shoot. I need more than 24 hours in advance.

Then we would never shoot.

That would be unfortunate but I need to work with people that are more flexible and understanding. This goes both ways as I am willing to accomodate shoot date/time changes with models if I am able to if it allows them to book another PAYING gig.

I realize that some models like the certainty (don't get me wrong I do to) but for me unless it's client work, I think being flexible allows me to work with MORE people as I can be more accomodating and fitting people in. In my experience, this is especially true with traveling models as their schedule seem to be fluid given cancellations and last minute bookings. Which is why I'm surpised that you have such a dogmatic position with this.

Daniela V wrote:
2. if you aren't up front about that, I assume you're going to irritate a lot of people who are trying to work with you.

I'm upfront as I can be and models that book with me and commit with the appropraite qualifiers.  The understanding is that if a shoot is dependent on other elements besided ourselves (weather, MUA/Stylist, etc.) then there is good chance that the shoot will need to moved to accomodate those changes and they should state whether they can afford to be flexible or not. Conversely, I understand that if they get a more solid offer (someone is able to commit to them more than I can) then they should take that offer; that's the risk I take from a soft commitment. At the latest I follow up with a contact the day before the shoot. When I first work with a model or if it is client work I usually issue a Call Sheet. I sometimes follow this up but after I am familair with the model my approach is more casual.

I prefer to work with people that are more laid back in approach but serious about thier work. Ginny (NC17) is the perfect example of the type of model that I like to work with and work with on a regular basis.  I hope she has not been irritated by me or my working style (well if she has been irritated then she's had the good grace not to let me know it).

Nov 27 06 04:34 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Josie Nutter wrote:

I like the paper trail too. I don't want to have any details on the phone because I might forget them. If they don't get written down, I will forget them, and even if they are written down, if they aren't with all the other details (in the computer) its likely they won't be remembered anyway.

Sometimes you don't have all the details when you contact a model.

I know that for me the hardest part is corrdinating schedules with a model and MUA (especaily MUAs).

I hate to commit to something and then try to take it back when I can't deliver on my end.

Since I have worked with you before and I understand how you set things up, I can say this doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when I recieve a message like this: "If you're ever interested in shooting creative and unique material to market and share in the profit, let me know." (I recieved that exact email about a week ago) That tells me NOTHING about what you have in mind, what you'd like to do, how long you want to shoot (thats a detail that there should be a ballpark figure for right out front), where you want to shoot (even a general idea is good - hotel, home studio, sidewalk somewhere between 5th street and 11th avenue.....), and whether or not I need to worry about my wardrobe or if you have something in mind (or if its nudes, that works too!).

No, not all details can be hashed out from the first point of contact, but by the same token, pay attention. Heck, just having the questions there gives me a good indication of who's paying attention and who is business minded or not. It won't stop me from shooting with you if you ignore the questions, its just gives me a clear heads up before hand. Even simply saying "I don't have answers to your questions at the moment, but here is the concept that I am exploring." is a good start.

It becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly who the serious business people are and those that treat this as a silly hobby. I have discovered that many of the ones that are techincally only hobbyists sometimes have the best business manners and focus.

Nov 27 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

NC17 wrote:
No, not all details can be hashed out from the first point of contact, but by the same token, pay attention. Heck, just having the questions there gives me a good indication of who's paying attention and who is business minded or not. It won't stop me from shooting with you if you ignore the questions, its just gives me a clear heads up before hand. Even simply saying "I don't have answers to your questions at the moment, but here is the concept that I am exploring." is a good start.

See folks...flexibility.

The questions are also used as a screen and allows her to proceed accordingly and not merely as a reason to dogmatically reject potential work.

Nov 27 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

I usually have a no-shoot-without-telephone/go-see rule.

The reading comprehension level of most people under 25 pretty much sucks, so emails start looking like IM conversations very fast (but with 2-day turnarounds for each Q&A).

I'm scheduling a few shoots for Paris this weekend and have been forced to email due to time zones and the language barrier. I had almost forgotten just how painful a process it can be.

Nov 27 06 07:12 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I prefer to work with people that are more laid back in approach but serious about thier work. Ginny (NC17) is the perfect example of the type of model that I like to work with and work with on a regular basis.  I hope she has not been irritated by me or my working style (well if she has been irritated then she's had the good grace not to let me know it).

*laughs* No, you definately have not irritated me smile I'm pretty tough to irritate, and am likely to become so more by ignorence and closed minds than by people's choice of style in communication.

Take the time it takes so it takes less time. Our society doesn't seem to understand this principle. Amazing that people have the time to do things wrong two, three, four and five times over and over, but yet can't take the ten minutes to do it correctly the first time, so it never has to be done again. How interesting.

Nov 27 06 07:18 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

I prefer to work with people that are more laid back in approach but serious about thier work. Ginny (NC17) is the perfect example of the type of llama that I like to work with and work with on a regular basis.  I hope she has not been irritated by me or my working style (well if she has been irritated then she's had the good grace not to let me know it).

It's cool that you can find people that work with your laid back approach.

Nov 28 06 08:56 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

NC17 wrote:
What bothers me is when I recieve a message like this: "If you're ever interested in shooting creative and unique material to market and share in the profit, let me know." (I recieved that exact email about a week ago) That tells me NOTHING about what you have in mind, what you'd like to do, how long you want to shoot.

I compltely agree. I don't need a whole long detailed first message (though it is my preference) but don't just say "love your look, let's shoot". That tells me nothing.

Nov 28 06 08:58 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

See folks...flexibility.

I don't think it's about flexibility, it's about having a clear schedule. It's been my experience that I book at least two weeks in advance because that's when I'm approached for a gig. Now, if someone were to ask me to shoot 24 hours from now, sure, I could do it, because I don't have any plans to shoot. However, that's not being flexible, it's just that I don't have anything else planned.

Nov 28 06 09:00 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Daniela V wrote:

I don't think it's about flexibility, it's about having a clear schedule. It's been my experience that I book at least two weeks in advance because that's when I'm approached for a gig. Now, if someone were to ask me to shoot 24 hours from now, sure, I could do it, because I don't have any plans to shoot. However, that's not being flexible, it's just that I don't have anything else planned.

Having worked with Rodney, I can say that what he wrote sounds worse than how it is. Its more the fact that he doesn't hammer out the final details until the shoot is closer. (correct me if I'm wrong, Rodney) When we arranged our first shoot, I think we had at least 2 weeks notice, but were finalizing the details the evening before, mostly where we would meet (we were doing location work) and how long we would spend there before heading to meet the MUA. It worked out fine.

As you mentioned, sending "hey wanna shoot" is about the worst thing that someone can say. Send some details, tell me what kind of shoot you want, how long you'd like to shoot, where you've got in mind to work, and things like that. SOMETHING to go on is better than nothing to start. If you're hiring me I definately don't want to feel like I'm pulling teeth to set up a shoot.

Nov 28 06 09:07 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

NC17 wrote:
If you're hiring me I definately don't want to feel like I'm pulling teeth to set up a shoot.

Every photographer (or model to a photographer) that has ever sent a message like that needs to read this and pay attention.

Nov 28 06 12:17 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I wrote a post that was titled Its about the approach (I think, its been a while) that went through all the little things that photographers do that are likely to drive a (good) model away rather than actually entice her to shoot with them. Maybe we should write a guide to negotiations or something...

Nov 28 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

NC17 wrote:
Having worked with Rodney, I can say that what he wrote sounds worse than how it is. Its more the fact that he doesn't hammer out the final details until the shoot is closer. (correct me if I'm wrong, Rodney) When we arranged our first shoot, I think we had at least 2 weeks notice, but were finalizing the details the evening before, mostly where we would meet (we were doing location work) and how long we would spend there before heading to meet the MUA. It worked out fine.

No this is pretty much SOP for me.

Here is an example of what I was trying to convey.

I met with a model that had responded to one of my casting calls this past Sunday.  Standard pre-production meeting.  The model is excited to work with me and eager to schedule a shoot.  I suggest this coming Sunday and she agree. I qualify it that I will need to secure a MUA so what other dates would she be available at this time.  She gives me a few more. I then tell her that given the need to coordinate with the MUA I will give a soft commitment to Sunday but this may need to change depending in the availability of the MUA and what her (the model) availbity is once I learn the schedule  of the MUAs.

As it stand right now, I have one MUA committed to the shoot and I am looking for a hair stylist or another to do the second half of the shoot.

So now that I have one MUA, I can firm up the shoot date and issue a Call Sheet if the Model has not had another commitment come up that will prevent her from shooting on Sunday. So I wil confirm again with the model that she is able to shoot and if so I will issue the Call Sheet. 

It it not uncommon for me that this "dance" of schedules does not play itself out until the day before the shoot.

Nov 28 06 04:42 pm Link