Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Computer Glasses - Who Would Have Known ...

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

So my neighbor is an optician.  My prescription expired and he pressed me to get an eye exam.  I did it, and now he's making me multiple pairs of glasses.  OK, I am fine with that, but one that surprised me is that he suggested "computer glasses."  That one caught me off-guard.

What he did was to measure the distance between my chair and the computer screens I look at all day at my desk.  He then had the optometrist calibrate the reading prescription on my bifocals for that distance.  He made me a set of single vision glasses optimized for that distance.

Now, bear in mind that I have terrible eyes and an extremely strong prescription.  Having said that, my computer glasses are amazing.  Sitting here, with single vision glasses that have everything perfectly in focus is just kewl.  It is far less fatiguing and works far better than I would have ever expected.  Who would have known?

Dec 08 14 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Creative Services

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

Okay.

How many?

|||

Dec 08 14 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I have a pair of 'computer glasses'. Don't wear them much. I'm near-sighted, but my full prescription over-corrects for close objects like a computer. I normally take the glasses off entirely for iPad/iPhone use. I think I'm looking at transitions lenses in my not-too-distant future.

Dec 08 14 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

MMR Digital wrote:
Okay.

How many?

|||

Four pairs.

REGULAR:  Progressive Transitions
DRIVING:  Driveware Transitions (both polarized and transition)
NIGHTIME DRIVING:  Clear progressives with a special anti-glare coating
COMPUTER:  Single Vision calibrated to 27"

I've never had more than two pairs of glasses in my life.

Dec 08 14 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Robb Mann wrote:
I have a pair of 'computer glasses'. Don't wear them much. I'm near-sighted, but my full prescription over-corrects for close objects like a computer. I normally take the glasses off entirely for iPad/iPhone use. I think I'm looking at transitions lenses in my not-too-distant future.

Interesting.  I put on the computer glasses any time I am spending time at the computer.  It makes a huge difference.

Dec 08 14 05:30 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

GPS Studio Services wrote:
So my neighbor is an optician.  My prescription expired and he pressed me to get an eye exam.  I did it, and now he's making me multiple pairs of glasses.  OK, I am fine with that, but one that surprised me is that he suggested "computer glasses."  That one caught me off-guard.

What he did was to measure the distance between my chair and the computer screens I look at all day at my desk.  He then had the optometrist calibrate the reading prescription on my bifocals for that distance.  He made me a set of single vision glasses optimized for that distance.

Now, bear in mind that I have terrible eyes and an extremely strong prescription.  Having said that, my computer glasses are amazing.  Sitting here, with single vision glasses that have everything perfectly in focus is just kewl.  It is far less fatiguing and works far better than I would have ever expected.  Who would have known?

very nice.   I have my bifocals and then a seperate pair for driving that doesnt have the. Bifocal lens for reading. Sounds like he did that for you but since its calibrated for 20" or so rquired less glass than for 20 feet, ( which ks what they are usually calibrated at, right?)
Jen
P.s. but I rarely wear mine. I need too !

Dec 08 14 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I am addicted to my computer glasses now.  They are a dream.

Dec 08 14 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

It feels good to get perfectly fitted eyeglasses, doesn't it?

They don't always hit the mark so well.

Dec 08 14 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

My last set of glasses consisted one pair of bifocals for reading--->driving (distant view) and a second pair of bifocals for reading and my computer screens. Worked PERFECTLY!

I would love to get my glasses replaced.... I have been trying to get an appointment at the VA for just over a year now. still no luck.

I could go out and pay for an exam and glasses, but it hasnt become CRITICAL  yet, and it pisses me off not to be able to use my VA benefits like they promised me.

Dec 08 14 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Marco R

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Four pairs.

Don't you go to the beach? Where are your sunglasses? smile

Dec 08 14 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I have a pair of computer only glasses that I wouldn't want to do without.
I spend a lot of time at the computer and when I started with a prescription specifically for the computer about 4 years ago, although my prescription is fairly mild, my eye fatigue went down dramatically.

Dec 08 14 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I used to have fairly thick bifocals till about 2007. Basically all of my life till then.

2007 got implants that were attached to my iris.

I do have a prescription for single vision reading glasses for both books and computer use, though computer glasses might be a good idea. I might look into that.

I have another pair for regular going out for distances and such which is single vision transition lenses.

Thank you for this thread that's a good idea I might look into.

Dec 08 14 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Four pairs.

Marco R wrote:
Don't you go to the beach? Where are your sunglasses? smile

LOL, the driveware are a kind of super-duper sunglasses.  On top of that, my regular glasses are transitions.  That means they change colors.  I think I have the beach covered.

Dec 08 14 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
It feels good to get perfectly fitted eyeglasses, doesn't it?

They don't always hit the mark so well.

It is really kewl to have a neighbor that actually knows how to do this stuff right.

Dec 08 14 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i use off-the-shelf reading glasses for my computer (and other closeup things). yesterday i was having the worst time reading prices at walmart until i realized that the right lens had fallen out. i could only see if i closed my right eye.

lately there's a distance beyond what the reading glasses cover that is blurry but i can still see fine with things that are a ways away.

Dec 08 14 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

ontherocks wrote:
i use off-the-shelf reading glasses for my computer (and other closeup things). yesterday i was having the worst time reading prices at walmart until i realized that the right lens had fallen out. i could only see if i closed my right eye.

lately there's a distance beyond what the reading glasses cover that is blurry but i can still see fine with things that are a ways away.

I have hellacious stigmatism plus I am far sighted.  Off the shelf reading glasses don't help me because they don't deal with the stigmatism.   I wish they would.  It would be a lot cheaper.

Dec 08 14 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

I have hellacious stigmatism plus I am far sighted.  Off the shelf reading glasses don't help me because they don't deal with the stigmatism.   I wish they would.  It would be a lot cheaper.

Darn tootin'.

I was diagnosed with keratoconus (cornea shaped more like an irregular cone than a sphere) some years back, and ended up needing a corneal transplant for the worst eye. It can't be corrected to much better than 20/150 or so, but that's still a huge improvement over what it was before. The better eye merely needs stupid amounts of correction, and corrects to around 20/60.

I need strong bifocals for everything--except working on the computer. Using bifocals for that is a (literal) pain in the neck, as there's always that blurry zone where the transition takes place--larger for graduated transitions, too.

The alternative is to use a very small screen, which has obvious drawbacks.

I'll stick with computer glasses.

Dec 08 14 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

I wear progressive tri focul glasses all the time. I found that when working underneath a car, looking up through the top portion of the glasses , my vision was always blurry. My doc made single vision glasses for reading that work well in that situation.
From your experience, I may try them for retouching at the computer.

Dec 09 14 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I have computer glasses & have been using them for several years, but my glasses are bifocal-ish -- when I look ahead, it's calibrated for the viewing distance to my computer monitor, but when I look down, it's like reading glasses, allowing me to read text from papers on my desk.

Couldn't work here without them.  They are magic.

Dec 09 14 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

I have been using computer glasses for years.

Welcome to the club.

Dec 09 14 07:23 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
Darn tootin'.

I was diagnosed with keratoconus (cornea shaped more like an irregular cone than a sphere) some years back, and ended up needing a corneal transplant for the worst eye. It can't be corrected to much better than 20/150 or so, but that's still a huge improvement over what it was before. The better eye merely needs stupid amounts of correction, and corrects to around 20/60.

I need strong bifocals for everything--except working on the computer. Using bifocals for that is a (literal) pain in the neck, as there's always that blurry zone where the transition takes place--larger for graduated transitions, too.

The alternative is to use a very small screen, which has obvious drawbacks.

I'll stick with computer glasses.

Wow, I have a very strong prescription, but my vision still corrects to 20/20.  I am hoping that continues.  My optician has told me that I have the strongest combination of both power and cylinder he has dealt with in 30 years in the business.  He's had a stronger cylinder or a stronger power, but never the two in combination.  I really have no idea what it means but doesn't make me happy.

Dec 09 14 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I think I got suckered.  I bought transition lenses, hoping I wouldn't need separate prescription sunglasses, but they don't work in the car.  I guess the windshield's UV protection blocks the kind of light that tells the glasses to tint.  So they're just regular glasses when I need sunglasses the most (there's less beach-going in CT winters).

Is there some specific brand of transition lenses that does that?

Dec 09 14 11:34 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I think I got suckered.  I bought transition lenses, hoping I wouldn't need separate prescription sunglasses, but they don't work in the car.  I guess the windshield's UV protection blocks the kind of light that tells the glasses to tint.  So they're just regular glasses when I need sunglasses the most (there's less beach-going in CT winters).

Is there some specific brand of transition lenses that does that?

My lenses are "Carl Zeiss" and they work fine.  When I don't need the polarization, I just wear my regular transitions outside.  Indeed, for years they have always been fine until my friend talked me into "Drivewear."  I have to say though, the combined polarization and transition is amazine.  I have worn them at night, and gotten by, but they are just a little bit too dark.  The recommendation is for lenses with at least 82% transmission along with an anti-glare coating.  My regular glasses are uncoated for extended life.  The clear lenses are for maximum night-time light transition with anti-reflective capability.

In any event, my Carl Zeiss transitions work perfectly in the car.

Dec 10 14 10:32 am Link