Forums > General Industry > Being Short!!!!

Model

Baby Mamma

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Noboday likes you when you're short. I always get told..."You're so pretty. You have the perfect look. You are a great model...blah blah blah! BUT...THERE IT IS...You are just too short." What the heck?! I wonder if there are any photographers out there that actually want to use models under 5'8. If there are any out there...let this short model know.
Jessica Carter
http://profile.myspace.com/125948460

Nov 26 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

I'm in a wheelchair so height wouldn't be an issue. I"d love to shoot with you. Too bad you're in Colorado and I'm in Florida

Nov 26 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

YAY!! A thread about short models!!

try using the search function dear, it's at the bottom of the main forum page, loads of useful imfo about short models come up. wink

Nov 26 06 07:33 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Ransom J wrote:

try using the search function dear, it's at the bottom of the main forum page, loads of useful imfo about short models come up. wink

Hehehe... this made me giggle.

Nov 26 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lamonica wrote:

Hehehe... this made me giggle.

I'm seriously trying to be helpful and not just a smart ass.

Nov 26 06 07:36 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

im not top model height either but there are tons of photographers that will shoot a short model.  keep looking. smile

Nov 26 06 07:36 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

I'll shoot with you Jessica if you need a guy who won't make you feel too small smile

Hope everyone had a nice T-Day.

Seth

Nov 26 06 07:38 pm Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I hate this as well.. I am 5'5" but just look at MM's Giselle
https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=33226

She is 5'3 and fabulous she does EDITORIAL and HIGH fashion style photoshoots and I feel like her creativity and drive breaks all rules that "you are not 5'8 or taller you can not do anything high fashion or editorial."

I think models like this keep me going...

*Sandra

Nov 26 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Frisson

I tend to search for models 5'4'' and under if that makes you feel any better big_smile

Terry

Nov 26 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Ok, you are new.  See the "List of lists" on the top of this forum?  You'd find a lot of discussion on this.

https://amd.streamload.com/lll0228/Hosted/MM_GM_ListOfList.gif

Nov 26 06 07:48 pm Link

Model

Rose Summers

Matamoras, Pennsylvania, US

You're 5'4"...at least you could make 5'8" with heels.
There are a lot of photogs that will shoot short models, otherwise I wouldn't be on this site.

Nov 26 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

smo1869 wrote:

She is 5'3 and fabulous she does EDITORIAL and HIGH fashion style photoshoots and I feel like her creativity and drive breaks all rules that "you are not 5'8 or taller you can not do anything high fashion or editorial."

*Sandra

I don't mean this as a criticism of Giselle, who has some absolutely wonderful work in her portfolio.  But you put it right:  high fashion STYLE (I didn't see much that is commercial style).  What you don't see if a lot of paid commercial or real fashion work.  Great shots, great model -but not exactly beating down the doors of the commercial and fashion worlds.

Our OP aspires to fashion and commercial paid work:

Jessica Carter wrote:
Right now I am trying to get my foot in the door for some Commercial work for magazines, clubs and/or local store chains. If anyone has any advice I am open for opinions.

That's a very different thing than making commercial style pictures.  It requires a client willing to pay for you to do that work.

To Jessica:  If that's what you want to do, your height will be a strong disadvantage.  You already know that.  But another strong disadvantage is that you don't have any commercial print or commercial fashion pictures in your portfolio of a style and quality that would attract a commercial client.  Until you get that fixed, you are very unlikely to get commercial work.

Nov 26 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:
I don't mean this as a criticism of Giselle, who has some absolutely wonderful work in her portfolio.  But you put it right:  high fashion STYLE (I didn't see much that is commercial style).  What you don't see if a lot of paid commercial or real fashion work.  Great shots, great model -but not exactly beating down the doors of the commercial and fashion worlds.

i agree, tex.  not a tearsheet in the lot.  she markets to photographers and quite well, too.  she is stunning, but she also knows her place in meeting success and that is half the battle. 

for the op, marketing to photographers willing to pay for the pleasure is what the internet will bring for the height restricted.  don't expect the outside world to think outside their box.  fight it and you'll only find frustration.

--face reality

Nov 26 06 08:10 pm Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

TXPhotog wrote:

smo1869 wrote:

*Sandra

Our OP aspires to fashion and commercial paid work:

That's a very different thing than making commercial style pictures.  It requires a client willing to pay for you to do that work.

To Jessica:  If that's what you want to do, your height will be a strong disadvantage.  You already know that.  But another strong disadvantage is that you don't have any commercial print or commercial fashion pictures in your portfolio of a style and quality that would attract a commercial client.  Until you get that fixed, you are very unlikely to get commercial work.

Ahh well there are difference in opinions when it comes to this, but if she is looking for commercial work then I feel that brings alot more possibilities for her.

I was told in another forum to scout out commercial agencies and see what photographers they work with. Pay for shots with those photographers and build a nice hireable port that way.

When being critiqued many short models (5'7" and under) the first thing out of someone's mouth is " You are too SHORT to do high fashion" the girls profile could say looking to do commercial and art modeling but that is usually what people say right off the bat. I just hate how people dissmiss you ONLINE because of the models height.

I just brought up Giselle because I know that atleast someone out there broke the rules. Which she is a 5'3" model and doing high fashion photoshoots which is literally owned by 5'9" girls.

Nov 26 06 08:26 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I'm 5'3 and I know I won't be doing high-fashion runway, but I'm happy.

Nov 26 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

smo1869 wrote:
I just brought up Giselle because I know that atleast someone out there broke the rules. Which she is a 5'3" model and doing high fashion photoshoots which is literally owned by 5'9" girls.

Youu don't seem to have gotten the point.  Unless there is evidence I have not seen (somebody please tell us if there is), she hasn't done any "high fashion photoshoots".  She has only shot in that style.  Nary a real, client-paid fashion shoot in the bunch.

If your purpose is to make pretty pictures, she and others have shown that you can do that, in pretty much any style you like, regardless of height.  If your purpose is to work as a fashion model, that is not true.

Nov 26 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Youu don't seem to have gotten the point.  Unless there is evidence I have not seen (somebody please tell us if there is), she hasn't done any "high fashion photoshoots".  She has only shot in that style.  Nary a real, client-paid fashion shoot in the bunch.

If your purpose is to make pretty pictures, she and others have shown that you can do that, in pretty much any style you like, regardless of height.  If your purpose is to work as a fashion model, that is not true.

Another point...does she have any tear sheets?

There is not doubt she's a good looking woman and models well for talented photographers.

Success is relative as well I suppose.  Meaning, is she sucessful because she makes X-amount of $$ per year doing modeling?  Or is success judged by how many paid tearsheets one might have?

Nov 26 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
Success is relative as well I suppose.  Meaning, is she sucessful because she makes X-amount of $$ per year doing modeling?  Or is success judged by how many paid tearsheets one might have?

Success is achieved by reaching goals. Ones goals are determined by ones interests or standards.

Nov 26 06 09:17 pm Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

TXPhotog wrote:

bahhhhhhhhh I get it I get it!

(I get that she does high fashion STYLED shoots and I am not sure if she has gotten paid to do high fashion shoots not styled... but high fashion shoots, so I can not comment on that. )

forget I ever mentioned her name! LOL

she is simply an inspiration to me.

THE END.

lol

sorry if I sound mean I wrote a nice lil paragraph that I do in fact get what TX and others were saying, but then my firefox window closed on me sad

*sandra

Nov 26 06 09:25 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Jessica Carter wrote:
I wonder if there are any photographers out there that actually want to use models under 5'8.

Obviously there are TONS or none of the models shorter than 5'8" here would have any photos. :p

Nov 26 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

since i like short girls, i shoot short girls.  5'4" is tall in my weird photo universe, 5'2" is about average, 5'0" is a special treat!

Nov 26 06 11:50 pm Link

Model

KoriK

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Short is HOT!

Nov 27 06 12:07 am Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

I don't shoot fashion, so I'm utterly unconcerned about a model's height.

Nov 27 06 01:00 am Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

I'm 5'6'' how boring is that? I feel like no matter how talented I am no one will take me seriously  sad

Nov 27 06 02:27 am Link

Model

Infinite

Pico Rivera, California, US

5'6 for a female is just fine.

Nov 27 06 02:32 am Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

I'm short, too!

Just have to find your niche....

Nov 27 06 03:27 am Link

Photographer

NovoCain

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

I'm 6"10". I never worry about "short" issues.

Nov 27 06 04:14 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

KoriK wrote:
Short is HOT!

I know you certainly are, and I'd love to shoot with you if you ever come to Florida.

Nov 27 06 04:18 am Link

Model

Paz Crystal

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

nothing wrong with short models big_smile

Nov 27 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's a total myth that short models aren't needed.

Petite models are OFTEN used in advertisements for things like cars, furniture, hotels, restaurants, and airlines... because they make the items that they're promoting appear LARGER!

Saying that there's no need for models that are short, tall, skinny, fat, young, old, hairy, bald,... etc is the same as saying that there's no need for actors like that too.  It just aint true!

Nov 27 06 03:19 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Ransom J wrote:

Could've been worse.

She could've wanted TFP and wonder why she has to pay a photographer. And start in about being short.

Nov 27 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
It's a total myth that short models aren't needed.

Petite models are OFTEN used in advertisements for things like cars, furniture, hotels, restaurants, and airlines... because they make the items that they're promoting appear LARGER!

Saying that there's no need for models that are short, tall, skinny, fat, young, old, hairy, bald,... etc is the same as saying that there's no need for actors like that too.  It just aint true!

I agree that there is a need for shorter models in commercial work.  However, "often" is a stretch.

Of the 4,752 commercial castings that I have records on, short (under 5'6") models were requested 21 times.  That's much less than one percent.

Nov 27 06 04:05 pm Link

Model

Robin Arcuri

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:
I agree that there is a need for shorter models in commercial work.  However, "often" is a stretch.

Of the 4,752 commercial castings that I have records on, short (under 5'6") models were requested 21 times.  That's much less than one percent.

I've modeled my entire life. Since childhood, AND in all catagories equally. Are you already discrediting me in your head? I've never really tried too hard at it either because I didn't have to as I made a GREAT living out of it.  I believe my first big campaign was Maybelline. I was also busy investing the $ I made with our family businesses but yah I'm 5'5". wink  For everything Ive done, every picture that speaks 1000 words, someone can still say something negative or discredit my work by adding on yet another challenge I haven't bothered to face. I'm sure if I applied myself I could do even better now.  It's an endless battle with the whole, short, medium and tall argument.  Everyone in here has a valid argument but the truth of the matter is, there IS a NEED for models under 5'8" on the runway, in fashion, editorial and commercial ads. Contrary to what you're being told on a daily basis. At fashion week shows I just listened to several designers bitching about not having enough of the petite models they wanted at the fashion shows (runway) I was in.  They wanted me to walk for them but I had already committed myself to two designers and didn't have time to do anymore. Out of say 100 models at least 25 of them were under 5'8" and more were needed.

That's all I want to say. Have a great week everyone!

Nov 27 06 05:49 pm Link