Forums > General Industry > I Pose, Therefore I Am

Model

immateria

Brooklyn, New York, US

Having looked a a series of photographs with out-of-this-world body positions, I've started wondering:

I understand the general concept of getting a good pose, but also a facial/eye expression. One of these days I'm going to get that concept right on film...

But when it comes to some images I've seen of some more extreme, non-conventional posing that just makes you want to go: "Wow, X is really bendy, fluid, flexible, bodily-fantastic, etc.," some of the work I've seen has the pose, but not the face.

I understand that when a model is standing on her head while doing the splits while juggling fireballs or whatever, it makes a good facial expression harder to attain. So when it comes down to picking the photo of said pose, is  there a compromise of the face when there's a truly beautiful pose involved?

This question, of course, doesn't apply when a model's got both.

Nov 25 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Passion Junk

Your right. It totally depends on the model's ability. And when it comes to selecting images I think if the pose is truly that fabulous in some cases as long as the face isn't showing some hideous expression you can compromise. Though if the model can do both at the same time all the better.

Nov 25 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Bonita Photography

Bonita, California, US

Pose, lighting, expression...all elements to make up a good image.  Sometimes the strength of one can compensate for another.  But nothing beats having them all.

+18 Images

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1038859

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=943755

Kevin

BTW, Neither of these models had ever modeled before.  :>)

Nov 25 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Actually some styles want expressiveness, some don't..

A lot of fashion tends to come with a blank look I don't get, but accept it as intended.. Other styles are focused on body shape, contour, light and shadow..

I love a good expressive model, but if you don't see it in every shot it's not always correct to put the blame on the model..

Nov 25 06 11:59 am Link