Forums > General Industry > GiVinG BacK......

Model

Nitasha

Forest Park, Illinois, US

if you were to make it big....
how would you give back to your community?.. or would you even?

i have multiple sclerosis... i want to make it big and then be able to open up my own foundation for finding a cure and better medication...

what would you do?

Nov 24 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Yes. (The rest gets very personal.)

Nov 24 06 07:25 pm Link

Model

Nitasha

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Yes. (The rest gets very personal.)

understandable

Nov 24 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Chapin, South Carolina, US

No need in waiting to make it big… 

We all need to give back to the community right now. I donate to many charitable organizations, schools, churches, Susan G. Koman breast cancer org., habitat for humanity, and others.

If I ever make it big I will just be able to give more to those that need it.

Ron

Nov 24 06 07:30 pm Link

Model

Innamorata

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom

Nope. I pretty much hate where I live and the people in it. I'd give some money to my family, especially to my dad so that him, his girlfriend and my brother don't have to live in a tiny rented house anymore, I'd give a load to my mum so that she could retire to Italy and make pots, and I'd give a load to my boyfriend so that he wouldn't have to worry about being homeless anymore and then I'd move in with him.

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

I would do the same thing I do now but on a larger scale.

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

When I'm out of college, out of credit card debt, etc etc (i.e. making money, lol) I'm going to donate to music foundations (like Save the Music) and animal organizations (not like PETA but like local shelters and animal rescue efforts).

Nov 24 06 07:31 pm Link

Model

Nitasha

Ron Casas wrote:
No need in waiting to make it big… 

We all need to give back to the community right now. I donate to may charitable organizations, schools, churches, Susan G. Koman breast cancer org., habitat for humanity, and others.

If I ever make it big I will just be able to give more to those that need it.

Ron

well ya~ but i cant open a foundation now-
i can give charity but thats about it

Nov 24 06 07:31 pm Link

Model

oO Jordan Oo

Brownwood, Texas, US

I would donate a lot to Organ Donor Awareness organizations. My sister was a donor.

Nov 24 06 07:34 pm Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

My family started a donation/collection of Christmas items for families in need when I was only two. As far back as I can remember we always collected toys and extras through the year, fixed the used toys and sorted the new toys and other things then used a uhaul to take them to the shelter where I can remember long lines of moms thanking us. I would love to be able to donate alot of new things and alot of teen things. No one ever gave much for teenagers, and I always felt bad for them.
We also feed alot of homeless. If I had more money, I would like to feed even more.
There is so much need everywhere, it would just be nice to be able to do more...

Nov 25 06 02:22 am Link

Model

Angela_M

Chicago, Illinois, US

My # 1 thing I'd want to give back to is
Animal Rights
but I'd also like to give back to environmental groups,groups that help people with depression or other mental illnesses,and groups that help people with crohn's disease

Nov 25 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

It's not exactly charity. but there are several class-action suits against huge companies that really need funding.. I want Monsanto destroyed, for instance. Mostly environment offenders. I still feel a lot of the diseases are linked to pollution, so I'd rather fight there.

Nov 25 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Conchphotog

Bath, England, United Kingdom

I've not made it big... YET... lol

I donate my time as a photographer to several foundations... just my way of helping out. Some of the contacts I made have lend to paying jobs.

If/When I make it big... Yeah I'll do more than I am now in many different ways.

Nov 25 06 08:49 am Link

Model

ang m

Chicago, Illinois, US

My family established an endowed college scholarship fund for students with financial difficulties.  The fund has helped many students continue school and reach their goals. 

I would love to establish more college scholarship funds at various universities across the country WHEN I make it big.   I'm an optimist smile

ang

Nov 25 06 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

ang m wrote:
My family established an endowed college scholarship fund for students with financial difficulties.  The fund has helped many students continue school and reach their goals. 

I would love to establish more college scholarship funds at various universities across the country WHEN I make it big.   I'm an optimist smile

ang

There are many different ways to give back. But I think give back to eduaction is probably more effective than anything else. I have to thank you for all the future students I might have that would benefit from your gifts. wink

Nov 25 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Golden Light

Miami, Florida, US

Me Me! All for me and none for you.

Sorry that is not entirly true. I would give to my local call girl business and to the local beer store.

Nov 25 06 11:21 am Link

Model

Nitasha

Golden Light wrote:
Me Me! All for me and none for you.

Sorry that is not entirly true. I would give to my local call girl business and to the local beer store.

... interesting

Nov 25 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

SensualThemes

Swoyersville, Pennsylvania, US

Nitasha wrote:
i have multiple sclerosis... i want to make it big and then be able to open up my own foundation for finding a cure and better medication...

I'm working on a way to give back now....www.pinups4.com - a logo'd clothing site and photo/print/artwork sale site with the profits going to charity'

just finishing the site now, looking to launch before Xmas....maybe catch a few of the holiday sales.

anyone care to pose/donate images/help promote?

YOU PICK THE CHARITY

Nov 26 06 09:25 am Link

Model

Wenzel

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

When living in Denver I coordinated basket brigades with my immediate neighbors several times a year, typically around major holidays.  I would ask my neighbors to clean out their pantries and then deliver the food to local shelters.  Nobody ever felt I was imposing on them by asking as I would deliver flyers letting them know I would be coming by on a certain date.  In fact, it made them feel like they were part of something bigger.  Simple, easy and helpful! Wenzel

Nov 26 06 11:56 am Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Give £ to the childrens hospice, the fibromyalgia association, epilepsy action UK and use some £ for the treatments I need that are highly expensive and the gvt. will not pay for.

Vixen.

Nov 26 06 08:26 pm Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I hate that term, "give back" - anything I'm "taking" may be a result of the way the economy works...

Innamorata - I understand, and don't let anyone guilt you into believing you must be charitable with what you don't have. Doing so is most rewarding when one honestly feels they're in a comfortable enough situation in life to do so smile BTW, nice nickname.

My causes:

* OCD research and treatment; other mental illnesses included
* volunteering at a retirement home, because I think it might be poetically inspiring; not to mention feeling that I, too, can be a little altruistic - even if selfishly
* helping those with body image problems...

Ah - maybe that's how I'm "taking."

*runs into same damn moral dilemma again*

~S.

Nov 27 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Jimmy Mayfield

Wake Forest, North Carolina, US

While it's nice to think about donating sums to large charitable organizations that would serve the needs of many, many people, I would not do that. I'd prefer to seek out everyone in  my life who'd touched my life in positive ways and would return the love and support ... I'd work to make their lives magical. It'd be more personal and more meaningful that way ... at least to me it would be.

I would seek out and reward those people who stood behind me when I least deserved it ... who picked me up when I was down ... who taught me the lessons I refused to learn on my own ... who pointed the way when I was lost ... who believed in me when I doubted myself.

Nov 27 06 12:48 am Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

Sabina N wrote:
I hate that term, "give back"

Me too.  One of the reasons that modeling isn't my main profession is that I've always wanted a career in service.  I teach and I think that teaching is one of the most efficient ways of changing the world for the better.  I'm also a scientist, I believe that adding to the world's store of knowledge is a very noble act.  It troubles me that most people think of their jobs as "taking away" from the world - that they need to "give back" to break even. 

That said, I try to contribute as much as I can outside my work.  I foster animals for local shelters and every month my husband and I give our leftover money (which is usually only a few dollars) to a different charity.  So far we've given the most to the local Planned Parenthood, Ohio Citizens for Science and the Columbus Dog Connection, all organizations which I know high ranking members of, so I know exactly where my money is going.  Another way I've found to give more is to buy gifts from charity organizations.  I buy all my gifts from charities - some of my favorites have come from the San Diego Bay Aquarium Foundation and the Jane Goodall Foundation.

Nov 27 06 12:50 am Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

markcomp wrote:

Yup.

Nov 27 06 03:43 am Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

i will hire every model on MM.  smile

Nov 27 06 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

markcomp wrote:

The perfect answer, and one I agree with.

Nov 27 06 05:17 am Link

Model

Pasha M

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I figure I will only be recognized for my true genuis after I am dead.  smile   so I'm an organ donor.

Nov 27 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

"Giving back" isn't always what it seems:

Now charity staff hit at cult of celebrity

Workers for children's charity Unicef say celebrity campaigns and fashion company deals are hurting its image

Dan McDougall in Islamabad
Sunday November 26, 2006
The Observer

The new vogue among the biggest catwalk labels is to adopt a charity to tell the world you have a heart. Last week Gucci joined Prada, Armani and Jean Paul Gaultier to become the latest label to embrace philanthropy by launching an exclusive Christmas gift collection in conjunction with Unicef, the United Nations children's fund.

But the motivation for alliances between high fashion and charity is being increasingly questioned by international pressure groups involved in the daily fight against sweatshops and, perhaps most embarrassingly for the UN, by their own front-line officers.

The Observer has learnt that, in a series of memos to the UN headquarters in New York, senior Unicef ground staff in South Asia have expressed their resentment at the charities' love affair with glamour and celebrity, fearing that the association is not only demeaning the UN 'brand' but also portraying its workers as hypocrites.

Read the rest here:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/st … 24,00.html

Nov 27 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

I don't plan on making it big, but if I do, I'd give back to the people who helped me get there. Then I'd probably help out the make-a-wish foundation.

Curious, what made you think your own foundation would do better than the existing MS society? Medical research is a large scale, capital-intensive process. Wouldn't it be more effective to help rather than to start your own?

Nov 27 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Pasha Morena wrote:
I figure I will only be recognized for my true genuis after I am dead.  smile   so I'm an organ donor.

Apparently you didn't drink enough bleach.

Nov 27 06 10:43 am Link

Model

Pasha M

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CLT wrote:
Apparently you didn't drink enough bleach.

apparently not.  Though there's always next time.  tongue

back to the subject at hand.  My cousin has autism, so I would support those charities and foundations.

Nov 27 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Madcrow Photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I would give back by supporting various causes I believe such as the Pirate Party (http://www.pp-international.net/), the EFF (http://www.eff.org/) and various anti-censorship and other liberal causes. Chances are that won't make me popular with any of the real pros here, but that's where my views lie.

Nov 27 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

i already give

*gave use of some photos for education magazines
*some historic landmarks
*give extra change to those/these organizations

my uncle has muscular distrophy
my aunt has m-s
my other uncle is a colon cancer survivor
my other uncle died from lung cancer
my grandfather died from alcohol
my grandfather died in ww2
my step-grandfather from cancer
my other aunt died from krones
my grandmother died from smoking
my other grandmother died from diabetes/stroke

*donate to mmadd
*donate to childrens miracle network
*donate to other non-profits

maybe if i keep it for myself i would be rich....

Nov 27 06 11:22 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I give what little I can right now.  It's certainly not on a large scale, but I try to do something. 

When I make it to a more stable point, I hope to be able to 'pay it forward'.  Many people in my life have been so giving and helpful that I want to be able to do the same for people in the future.

Nov 27 06 11:32 am Link

Model

Innamorata

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom

Sabina N wrote:
I hate that term, "give back" - anything I'm "taking" may be a result of the way the economy works...

Innamorata - I understand, and don't let anyone guilt you into believing you must be charitable with what you don't have. Doing so is most rewarding when one honestly feels they're in a comfortable enough situation in life to do so smile BTW, nice nickname.

My causes:

* OCD research and treatment; other mental illnesses included
* volunteering at a retirement home, because I think it might be poetically inspiring; not to mention feeling that I, too, can be a little altruistic - even if selfishly
* helping those with body image problems...

Ah - maybe that's how I'm "taking."

*runs into same damn moral dilemma again*

~S.

Thanks smile I have given to charity but at the moment, I'm surviving on hardly any money and the people around me are surviving on hardly any money. If I gave money to people that need it, I'd end up being one of those people. When I have money, I might do more to help but at the moment I do what I can. Right now, I prefer doing things to help the people I know, tonight I'm helping someone I know with their Italian homework, might not seem like charity to some people but I know she's been struggling with it all weekend, and she's a uni student so she's stressed out and tired and I'm happy to help.

Nov 27 06 01:49 pm Link