Forums > General Industry > Shooting through the language barrier

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

I'm shooting someone tommorow who doesn't speak the same language as me, there husband will be there as an interpreter and general assistant on set, but it is only his wife I will be shooting.

I know that I'm going to have to spend alot of my time acting out poses and mimicing positions myself (deep joy!) so she can see what I mean, but I guess that has to be done!

what I want to know is....

1) have you ever done anything like this, and how did it work out?
2) any tips for directing someone in a different language!!??

thanks

Jon Roberts
www.jonroberts.co.uk

Nov 24 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

You need some example material... how about two photos of the same model, one dressed and one nude.

Show her the first one and point to the picture then to her; then show her the second one and point to the picture then to her. Learn to say "just like this" in 16 languages.

LOL

Studio36

Nov 24 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

hehe, not quite the answer I was looking for........ but the sample material is a good idea, show them the poses rather than having to act them out for them!

Nov 24 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Jon Roberts wrote:
I'm shooting someone tommorow who doesn't speak the same language as me, there husband will be there as an interpreter and general assistant on set, but it is only his wife I will be shooting.

I know that I'm going to have to spend alot of my time acting out poses and mimicing positions myself (deep joy!) so she can see what I mean, but I guess that has to be done!

thanks

Jon Roberts
www.jonroberts.co.uk

Tommorow I'm shooting someone who doesn't speak the same language as I, her husband will be there to  interpret and generaly assist on the set, but it is only his wife I will be shooting.

I know that I will have to spend a lot of my time acting out poses and miming positions (deep joy!) so she can see what I mean.  I guess it has to be that way.. what I want to know is....

1) have you ever had this experience, and how did it work out?
2) any tips for directing someone who speaks a different language!!??

Thanks!

Jon Roberts

what is your first language?, maybe it's the same as her second..(i assume she speaks english)

Nov 24 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

bad photographer lotus, go to your room, you can't have fruit cup..

Nov 24 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

lotusphoto wrote:
bad photographer lotus, go to your room, you can't have fruit cup..

Cannibal!

Nov 24 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Been there done that.  I speak English and have a hard time making myself understood.  It must be something I am saying. bs

Nov 24 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

I used a model once who was from Turkey, didn't speak a word of English, and was profoundly deaf, too.  It was a very interesting experience.  Lots of silly gestures and waving of hands, pieces of paper with pictograms on them, a big stack of sample pictures, and great fun.

Nov 24 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

lotusphoto wrote:
Tommorow I'm shooting someone who doesn't speak the same language as I, her husband will be there to  interpret and generaly assist on the set, but it is only his wife I will be shooting.

I know that I will have to spend a lot of my time acting out poses and miming positions (deep joy!) so she can see what I mean.  I guess it has to be that way.. what I want to know is....

1) have you ever had this experience, and how did it work out?
2) any tips for directing someone who speaks a different language!!??

Thanks!

Jon Roberts

what is your first language?, maybe it's the same as her second..(i assume she speaks english)

It is the same as her second, but she hasn't been speaking English very long at all. I was just after some tips. Maybe it was foolish of me to post a thread looking for some help on this site.

But wait, some people here do actually help out others rather than just trying to pick fault with their grammar or diction. If you ever need help (and I'm sure you will) I hope someone is there to do the same for you.

Jon

Nov 24 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

RED Photographic wrote:
I used a model once who was from Turkey, didn't speak a word of English, and was profoundly deaf, too.  It was a very interesting experience.  Lots of silly gestures and waving of hands, pieces of paper with pictograms on them, a big stack of sample pictures, and great fun.

Yeah.

Here I'm deaf. I mainly pass notes with others. I sometimes am asked to teach some basic signs. While shooting, some photographers make funny gestures. I should take photos of them. smile

My suggestion is to be assertive by making gestures, drawing pictures, or showing some materials such as magazine cutouts. Be impatient is not good because it would make a model feel uncomfortable. Treat a model right; maybe she/he would like to shoot with you more. Don't forget to have a good personality/cool attitude.

For example, one photographer kept speaking to me without writing any notes. I barely understood what he said. I had to ask him if he could write for me. So, he became impatient. I politely had to go through this shoot. After that, I refuse to have another shoot with him.

Nov 24 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Dona wrote:

Yeah.

Here I'm deaf. I mainly pass notes with others. I sometimes am asked to teach some basic signs. While shooting, some photographers make funny gestures. I should take photos of them. smile

My suggestion is to be assertive by making gestures, drawing pictures, or showing some materials such as magazine cutouts. Be impatient is not good because it would make a model feel uncomfortable. Treat a model right; maybe she/he would like to shoot with you more. Don't forget to have a good personality/cool attitude.

For example, one photographer kept speaking to me without writing any notes. I barely understood what he said. I had to ask him if he could write for me. So, he became impatient. I politely had to go through this shoot. After that, I refuse to have another shoot with him.

We couldn't pass notes, because the model didn't write English, either!  Lip reading was no good, and the only sign language gestures I knew are very rude, having been taught to me by members of a deaf school outing group on a railway station platform while waiting for a train with the teachers looking on.  I know British sign language differs from American sign language, and I never had need to use them, but it did occur that it might mean something different in Turkish, possibly even an invitation, so I decided to stick to silly gestures and pictograms.

I never got to photograph the model again, but I would've done, if I'd got the chance.

Nov 24 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

I shoot models who's first language is not mine, and mine is not theirs all the time, as I do a lot of shooting in foreign countries, often of models who are foreigners to that country. I speak several languages remedially, which helps, and many of them speak or understand English if only remedially, which also helps.

Someone there or in the team who can translate a little helps, but can also be a pain in the ass and things are never visually understood well in that fashion (anyone remember the TV commercial shoot sequence in Lost In Translation?)

The best way is a friendly smile, body language, a few refried words and phrases in their own or a neutral language, a few simple phrases in English (no need to speak ultra slowly, loudly, and omit all your syntax, that's usually insulting). Just get the rapport going and a lot of things tend to work themselves out fairly well.

Nov 24 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Thanks for all of suggestions and help so far!

Special thanks to Lotus for proving that internet sites are still riddled with people with nothing better to do than try to annoy others.

*bump*

Nov 24 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Jon Roberts wrote:
hehe, not quite the answer I was looking for........ but the sample material is a good idea, show them the poses rather than having to act them out for them!

Something tells me that, save for the husband, you could have come out of this as a cunning linguist.

[old line from James Bond movie... Moneypenny on the phone with James: "James you always were a cunning linguist"... then realises M is standing behind her with a stern look of disapproval.] LOL

Studio36

Nov 24 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Jon Roberts wrote:

It is the same as her second, but she hasn't been speaking English very long at all. I was just after some tips. Maybe it was foolish of me to post a thread looking for some help on this site.

But wait, some people here do actually help out others rather than just trying to pick fault with their grammar or diction. If you ever need help (and I'm sure you will) I hope someone is there to do the same for you.

Jon

sorry, figured you'd realize i was kidding

Nov 24 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

lotusphoto wrote:

sorry, figured you'd realize i was kidding

Just getting fed up of asking for advice and getting pointless responses on this and other sites. I guess I just expect too much

Not your fault........just having a bad day and you were the first person to walk into my sights.

take care

Jon

Nov 24 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

askthegeek

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Jon Roberts wrote:

been there done that numerous times. i don't find it annoying to have to mimmick the poses for the model to copy, but i guess if that's not your thing it could pose a problem wink

i have often worked with models with little to no english vocabulary. believe it or not, it isn't as hard as it looks, especially if they have some modelling experience. if they are complete amateurs, it might take a bit more effort.

use a lot of eye-contact and head-movement. a photographer's body language is sometimes as useful to a model as a model's is to a photographer wink

pointing in the direction you want the model to face is always good. tilting your head lower or higher will let the model know her head position needs adjusting, etc.

it might be intimidating if you've never done it before, but i have breezed thru shoots with a language barrier wink
you have one bonus item: her husband to help interpret a bit. of course he is not you, and what he translates to the model might not be worded exactly as you intended, but it will help for most things, like 'your hair keeps falling over your eye' or 'stop smiling' etc.

good luck with the shoot!

Nov 25 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

jimmyd

Los Angeles, California, US

if you're a shooter who gives a lot of direction, it can be disconcerting and might wear on your patience. yes, you'll probably have to demonstrate and also rely on some form of sign language. plan on spending more time than usual as the communications process will eat shooting time. it will also mess up any sort of shooting rhythm you might generally get into. the lack of a common spoken language shouldn't effect the final results. it might just take a bit longer to get there.

Nov 25 06 02:40 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

eye contact and 2 fingers to follow with her nose tp place the head and angle of the head
then flat hand to mean stay there
and  another pointy finger for the eyes only
then hold again

she needs to know ''HOLD THAT'' and the flat hand signal
and ''great!'' for encouragement
and ''go on'' for slow changes in pose

'ok' or ''thats it' for when the pose is over - you want to try something else

if there is a clock, a tree, her bag or any other landmark you can orient her from
teach her the word for that / those things
or you learn one or two words from her

good luck!

Nov 26 06 03:52 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

I did that a few times, having lived in many countries.

Generally I had a week or so notice, so I would go learn the language.  Call me crazy, but at least I would learn enough to point, left, right, this and that, also arms, legs, eyes, lips, love, angry, hate etc.  Simple phrases.  Remembering 100+ phrases is easier than you think.  Of course, other suggestions up there are all helpful.  Illustrations are great, always great.

Another way I do it is with music.  I sing, and I would learn a few songs from their countries, sad, love, happy...you wouldn't believe the smile that comes out of their faces.

Nov 26 06 03:59 am Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

*My* problem is I met this absolute stunner of a girl on the bus a couple weeks ago as I was goin around town. She is going to college to be a elementary school teacher. I missed my stop by abou 2 miles because we were talking so much about the project she was doing that she happened to be taking home with her, a collage. She`s 100% blind. I hope I see her around again.

Nov 26 06 04:01 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Since no one has suggested this, I will. If you're able to have a computer hooked to the internet around, there are some decent free translators out there.
http://babelfish.altavista.com/ this one doesn't list turkish, but it is also likely that she has a grasp of one of the other major european languages as well as many europeans often do. Its one of my favorites as I used to use it to translate my german homework when I wasn't sure what the heck they were asking tongue
The best way to use it is to only input single words at a time, like someone else suggested, eyes, lips, head, arm, hand, etc. Maybe when they arrive you can spend a little time with them together and get sheets of paper and write cue cards for her that have the words in both languages. Heck, she and you could turn it into something fun by writing the words in both languages and then each of you get to practice it while you're shooting. That sounds like fun to me anyway.
I remember as a child while visiting Germany we met a family that my dad worked with, and I sat for hours with the little girl who was my age trading words and drawing scratchy pictures in the window.
Hopefully you can turn it into something fun and look forward to the opportunity to learn a few new things!

Nov 26 06 09:06 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Primal Lens wrote:
*My* problem is I met this absolute stunner of a girl on the bus a couple weeks ago as I was goin around town. She is going to college to be a elementary school teacher. I missed my stop by abou 2 miles because we were talking so much about the project she was doing that she happened to be taking home with her, a collage.

She`s 100% blind.

I hope I see her around again.

not if she see's you first!

https://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif

sorry, it had to be said!!

Nov 26 06 02:08 pm Link