Forums > General Industry > Plus Size Modeling- Is the insdustry Friend Or Foe

Model

Bella Sin

Cleveland, Ohio, US

In the three years i have been modeling, I have never considered my self a regular model. Since I'm thick so i would like to think.
I belive that i can do as well or better as the regular models out there and not to mention i have an imagionation.

What is your opinion..

Is the Industry a Friend or Foe??

Bella Sin

Nov 23 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The industry is neither friend nor foe.  It is what it is, and you make a place for yourself in it or you don't.

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

-- Stephen Crane

Nov 23 06 11:10 pm Link

Model

Bella Sin

Cleveland, Ohio, US

TXPhotog wrote:
The industry is neither friend nor foe.  It is what it is, and you make a place for yourself in it or you don't.

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

-- Stephen Crane

that does make a point .. but still.. i have made my voice and talent heared..
but what is your insite into bigger models?

nice port btw

Nov 23 06 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

There does appear to be a place for plus -size models,there are agencies that handle them and clothing manufactures that use them.You can see them in ads,tv commercials all the time.Even in the "old" days an agency would always handle one or two just incase.I guess that is because all of those plus size models and the folks that use them forgot to listen to the"real experts" or the "Real true proffessional photographers" here on MM that they don't have a chance.

Nov 24 06 12:06 am Link

Model

Michelle Renee

Los Angeles, California, US

There is certainly a market for plus size models, and it is growing all the time, and the industry has recognized this and is following suit, slowly but surely.

More designers are either adding plus lines, and more plus lines are being created, and many brands and stores are extending sizes.

So yes, there is a need for plus models, but plus size fashion modeling still has many of the same stringent requirements as straight size modeling. Being "big" is not enough.

Threads on MM on this topic often refer posters to the site "Plus Models" and the "getting started" as a plus model section. I took the "step one" and reprinted it here:

step 1: getting started as a plus-size model

first, the facts of high-fashion
To many, the requirements set by agencies for plus-size models may seem difficult for anyone to live up to. Height and size requirements are not taken lightly and are definitely not arbitrary no matter how pretty you are or how many people tell you that you should be a model. A good agency knows exactly what their clients are looking for and represents models who reflect that need. In one market, clients may want tall, exotic looking size 16s while in another market, clients prefer size 12 girl-next-door types. It just depends! Therefore, it is very difficult to find out if you "have what it takes" unless you are willing to visit your local agencies. They are the ones who will find you work and should be the final authority regarding whether you have "it" or not.

To be a high-fashion or editorial plus-size model (i.e. get to Emme's level, appear in MODE, be the next Elisabeth model, represented by Wilhelmina ten20) you should be:

-Between 5'8" and 6'0" (though 5'7" is sometimes negotiable and 5'9" is becoming the new minimum). As beautiful and photogenic as you may be at under 5'7", an agency will still not consider you for fashion work. Yes, Wilhelmina ten20 does have a few models between 5'7" and 5'8", but this is extremely rare.
-A size 10, 12,14,16 or sometimes an 8 or 18. Keep in mind, these are not "W" sizes. A 14W is generally the same as a 16 misses. Why are there size requirements? Manufacturers don't want to have to wait for the selection of the model to select their sample clothing for the shoot. Therefore, if they know that they can expect a model who is roughly 5'9" and a size 14 (or under), they can select their clothing without giving it a second thought.
-Toned. You may be a "plus size," but you may have to be in shape. This means lots of muscle and very little cellulite. Some agencies look for flat tummies and no rolls!
In style and in demand. You must have a look that is current yet not overly trendy. Plus size models model a lot of "classic" wear. You don't want to have a buzz cut and a pierced nose if you get called for a Talbot's shoot. Keep your hair and make-up in fashion.
-Age. Your age may be a factor in your success as a plus size model. Plus models tend to be older than straight models. The prime age range is 22-35. However, there is also need for older models and there is a growing need for teens. Don't be too discouraged if your look is still a little young. You have plenty of time!
-Proportionate. You should be in proportion. Your bust, waist and hips should be about ten inches apart in size (i.e. 42-32-42) or very close. In addition, the shorter you are, the smaller your size should be. Someone who is 5'8" would be expected to wear a smaller size (12/14) than a taller model. It is all about length and proportion.

Nov 24 06 05:56 pm Link

Model

Bella Sin

Cleveland, Ohio, US

stan wigmore photograph wrote:
There does appear to be a place for plus -size models,there are agencies that handle them and clothing manufactures that use them.You can see them in ads,tv commercials all the time.Even in the "old" days an agency would always handle one or two just incase.I guess that is because all of those plus size models and the folks that use them forgot to listen to the"real experts" or the "Real true proffessional photographers" here on MM that they don't have a chance.

I think i have a big chance.. i gotten so many in MM that want to shoot with me..
i think there is a market is just small and that is not the case with other ..

Nov 25 06 11:20 am Link

Model

Bella Sin

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Michelle Renee K wrote:
There is certainly a market for plus size models, and it is growing all the time, and the industry has recognized this and is following suit, slowly but surely.

More designers are either adding plus lines, and more plus lines are being created, and many brands and stores are extending sizes.

So yes, there is a need for plus models, but plus size fashion modeling still has many of the same stringent requirements as straight size modeling. Being "big" is not enough.

Threads on MM on this topic often refer posters to the site "Plus Models" and the "getting started" as a plus model section. I took the "step one" and reprinted it here:

step 1: getting started as a plus-size model

first, the facts of high-fashion
To many, the requirements set by agencies for plus-size models may seem difficult for anyone to live up to. Height and size requirements are not taken lightly and are definitely not arbitrary no matter how pretty you are or how many people tell you that you should be a model. A good agency knows exactly what their clients are looking for and represents models who reflect that need. In one market, clients may want tall, exotic looking size 16s while in another market, clients prefer size 12 girl-next-door types. It just depends! Therefore, it is very difficult to find out if you "have what it takes" unless you are willing to visit your local agencies. They are the ones who will find you work and should be the final authority regarding whether you have "it" or not.

To be a high-fashion or editorial plus-size model (i.e. get to Emme's level, appear in MODE, be the next Elisabeth model, represented by Wilhelmina ten20) you should be:

-Between 5'8" and 6'0" (though 5'7" is sometimes negotiable and 5'9" is becoming the new minimum). As beautiful and photogenic as you may be at under 5'7", an agency will still not consider you for fashion work. Yes, Wilhelmina ten20 does have a few models between 5'7" and 5'8", but this is extremely rare.
-A size 10, 12,14,16 or sometimes an 8 or 18. Keep in mind, these are not "W" sizes. A 14W is generally the same as a 16 misses. Why are there size requirements? Manufacturers don't want to have to wait for the selection of the model to select their sample clothing for the shoot. Therefore, if they know that they can expect a model who is roughly 5'9" and a size 14 (or under), they can select their clothing without giving it a second thought.
-Toned. You may be a "plus size," but you may have to be in shape. This means lots of muscle and very little cellulite. Some agencies look for flat tummies and no rolls!
In style and in demand. You must have a look that is current yet not overly trendy. Plus size models model a lot of "classic" wear. You don't want to have a buzz cut and a pierced nose if you get called for a Talbot's shoot. Keep your hair and make-up in fashion.
-Age. Your age may be a factor in your success as a plus size model. Plus models tend to be older than straight models. The prime age range is 22-35. However, there is also need for older models and there is a growing need for teens. Don't be too discouraged if your look is still a little young. You have plenty of time!
-Proportionate. You should be in proportion. Your bust, waist and hips should be about ten inches apart in size (i.e. 42-32-42) or very close. In addition, the shorter you are, the smaller your size should be. Someone who is 5'8" would be expected to wear a smaller size (12/14) than a taller model. It is all about length and proportion.

hey there that is good advise

Nov 25 06 11:21 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Warning-- the term "plus size" can be very misleading online.

In the brick and mortar agency world, "plus size" means a model with a gorgeous face and toned body, 5'10" or taller, who generally happens to wear a size 12-16 instead of a size 2-6.  Basically your normal fashion model but not quite as thin.

That's not what it tends to mean online, however.  Many models who do not fit that description at all categorize themselves as plus size.  Some prefer to use the acronym "BBW" (Big Beautiful Women).

For more info, please read:

http://plussize.about.com/od/modelingfa … areers.htm

http://www.plusmodels.com
http://www.newmodels.com

Overweight/Plus size...is there a difference?
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=88936

what is plus size?
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=17669

Friend or foe... well, it really depends on what you want to do.

Nov 26 06 03:07 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

your pictures interested me
you look great in the corset
your proportions look great in the black shirt etc

i simply cant believe that i could put on another 50+ pounds and still look 1/4 as  good as you!

your stats are correct?
according to them, i could add  10 inches to waist and hips
(both grown recenlty) add a pagged bra
and still look awesome
no way!!

you do though - you are outstanding!!

Nov 26 06 03:23 am Link

Model

Bella Sin

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
Warning-- the term "plus size" can be very misleading online.

In the brick and mortar agency world, "plus size" means a model with a gorgeous face and toned body, 5'10" or taller, who generally happens to wear a size 12-16 instead of a size 2-6.  Basically your normal fashion model but not quite as thin.

That's not what it tends to mean online, however.  Many models who do not fit that description at all categorize themselves as plus size.  Some prefer to use the acronym "BBW" (Big Beautiful Women).

For more info, please read:

http://plussize.about.com/od/modelingfa … areers.htm

http://www.plusmodels.com
http://www.newmodels.com

Overweight/Plus size...is there a difference?
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=88936

what is plus size?
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=17669

Friend or foe... well, it really depends on what you want to do.

That is amazing information... thank you so much..

i never thought of that term having a diffrent meaning
there is so many... wow... i cant figure that out..giggles

Nov 26 06 08:02 am Link

Model

Bella Sin

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Anjel Britt wrote:
your pictures interested me
you look great in the corset
your proportions look great in the black shirt etc

i simply cant believe that i could put on another 50+ pounds and still look 1/4 as  good as you!

your stats are correct?
according to them, i could add  10 inches to waist and hips
(both grown recenlty) add a pagged bra
and still look awesome
no way!!

you do though - you are outstanding!!

Tee Hee
Thank you so much .. You look amazing too

Nov 26 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Golden Light

Miami, Florida, US

Sex sells.

Nov 26 06 08:07 am Link

Model

Savvy1007

You are indubitably a gorgeous woman...  So carve your niche and you'll garner your fair share...

Nov 26 06 08:09 am Link

Model

Bella Sin

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Golden Light wrote:
Sex sells.

not all the time ...???/

Nov 26 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bella Sin wrote:

not all the time ...???/

More often than not...

Nov 26 06 09:03 pm Link

Model

Hidie

Lompoc, California, US

I have to tell you .. I kow how it feels to be let down by modeling places.. you have to create a name for yourself.. you have the self esteam . you habe to make that name that makes all photographers want you, and want to  have tou for themselfs, You  are creatie, You know how to use what the  lord as given you..
I know cause now i'm working with 4 photographers and posing for pin ups. Men love curves women love curves..
I myself am a 38 DDD 32 waist 40 hips
I have a big bust small waist and big hips and tush.. Girl friend people love it...

Nov 29 06 09:46 pm Link

Model

Hidie

Lompoc, California, US

I have to tell you .. I kow how it feels to be let down by modeling places.. you have to create a name for yourself.. you have the self esteam . you habe to make that name that makes all photographers want you, and want to  have tou for themselfs, You  are creatie, You know how to use what the  lord as given you..
I know cause now i'm working with 4 photographers and posing for pin ups. Men love curves women love curves..
I myself am a 38 DDD 32 waist 40 hips
I have a big bust small waist and big hips and tush.. Girl friend people love it...

Nov 29 06 09:46 pm Link