Forums > General Industry > Wedding Videos

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

How many of you who are not videographers have ever shot a wedding video (perhaps as a favor to someone, especially a relative)? Did you enjoy the experience? Would you do it again? Were you happy with the results?

Jul 14 14 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

I did an odd, back to back weddings, friends/co-workers, owner venue thing last year. The first wedding was the big deal, friends, who hired a 'pro' photographer. (Was actually a family member, remotely.) I offered to help them, bride declined, asked if I would shoot video. I tried to gear up and train up, recruited a friend to help. Had 2 camcorders, 2 DSLRs and 2 audio recorders. Spent plenty of hours practicing, shooting on site, coordinated with the DJ, hid the microphones in the decorations to not upset the pictures, practiced the entire event with my assistant. That was the easy part.
    Editing video, at least my trial and error process, is a freaking black hole of time consumption. Prior to the wedding I told the bride's sister/maid of honor that I would need help mixing the video. I got zero help from her. After crushing myself and all of my free time I made a really nice 5 minute highlight of the start/end of the ceremony. When the bride was home from college I repeatedly told her I needed help to finish putting the video together. I got zero help from her. I finally gave her a drive with all the original footage and told her to have fun editing it.
      From the 2nd wedding I didn't even view the video footage. (The assistant shot video while I did pictures.) I edited pictures, but told them I didn't have time to do the video. I offered to help coach/guide them on editing it and never heard back.
    Lessons Learned
1-If you want video to look great, buy a great video camera, great video software, an additional monitor, and plan on editing taking at least 10 times as long as photo editing.
2 - You need an audio recorder and mics. You need to edit the audio, which takes as long as the video editing. At the first wedding, even though we practiced with the DJ/PA system the day before, half the audience couldn't hear nada. My mic got everything for the video. PA speakers and audio recording for the video are 2 separate systems.
    This could go on for a few more pages. NO I will not do this again.

Jul 14 14 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Pictures of Life wrote:
Had 2 camcorders, 2 DSLRs and 2 audio recorders. Spent plenty of hours practicing, shooting on site, coordinated with the DJ, hid the microphones in the decorations to not upset the pictures, practiced the entire event with my assistant. That was the easy part.

Out of curiosity, did you have to buy this stuff (the camcorders and audio recorders especially) or was it somehow available for you to use (especially borrowed from someone or somewhere)?

Jul 14 14 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
How many of you who are not videographers have ever shot a wedding video (perhaps as a favor to someone, especially a relative)? Did you enjoy the experience? Would you do it again? Were you happy with the results?

In case anyone wanted to know, I ask because my sister asked me to shoot my niece's (her daughter) wedding. I told her I didn't own a video camera so she said she'd buy one. I had exactly 1 day to figure out how to use the thing.  I didn't enjoy myself because I have no idea how to really shoot video footage in such a way to make a compelling completed video.

Add to this that they had vague instructions (they didn't know what they wanted) and fixed rules (stand here, don't move an inch, etc). I knew the results would suck so I wasn't happy with the results before I even shot them.

I'd do it again, but only if I have carte blanche to do things as I see fit. At least if the resulting video sucks, it'll suck on my terms.

Jul 16 14 04:20 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

getting bad wedding video is so easy even a wedding guest could do it. and they do. they all wave their giant iPads around.

to me they are two separate specialties and it's tough for one person to master them both (let alone have the proper gear for both). on pro video shoots often you see a separate sound guy along with multiple tripods with video cameras plus video lights.

i can see getting little clips to mix in with stills at animoto.

Jul 16 14 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Why not refer her to someone who knows what they're doing, ...or if it's a money thing for you.. subcontract someone who knows what they're doing and won't make a royal fuck up of it all? Which is likely what will happen if you do it, I mean seriously..

Lovely Day Media wrote:
I told her I didn't own a video camera so she said she'd buy one. I had exactly 1 day to figure out how to use the thing.  I didn't enjoy myself because I have no idea how to really shoot video footage in such a way to make a compelling completed video..

..really?

Jul 16 14 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Karl JW Johnston wrote:
Why not refer her to someone who knows what they're doing, ...or if it's a money thing for you.. subcontract someone who knows what they're doing and won't make a royal fuck up of it all? Which is likely what will happen if you do it, I mean seriously..

Lovely Day Media wrote:
I told her I didn't own a video camera so she said she'd buy one. I had exactly 1 day to figure out how to use the thing.  I didn't enjoy myself because I have no idea how to really shoot video footage in such a way to make a compelling completed video..

Karl JW Johnston wrote:
..really?

The truth is I've already done it. The wedding was at the end of May. My niece decided when she first planned her wedding that she was hiring someone else to be her photographer. She didn't ask me what I would deliver for what price. I thought I'd just go to the wedding, leave my camera at home (or at least in the car trunk) and enjoy things.

2 days before the wedding, her mother decides she wants a video and since she's technically part of the wedding party, she can't shoot the video herself. Since I'm the only one with an S on my chest ... I get to do the job.  I told her the resulting video is going to suck vs a professional because I have no idea what makes for compelling video footage, I'm using bottom of the barrel consumer grade equipment and I only had 1 day to learn how to use this camera. She said it didn't matter what I got or how as long as I got something.

To me, this says she didn't want to pay out any real money. The camcorder was roughly $350 but everything after that was free because she's not going to give me a dime for anything.  Since I'm not getting a dime, there is no possible way I'm going to subcontract to someone who knows what they're doing as I won't expect anyone else to work free of charge.

If the resulting video ended up being a complete F up (and certainly it would be), I wouldn't feel responsible because I'm a photographer (as opposed to videographer), I had 1 day to learn everything I could and I wasn't getting a dime, thank you, pat on the back or anything else for my time and effort. I'd have done far better if they had asked me to be a 2nd shooter as I'm way more familiar with my own camera but that's not what they wanted.  Since it's not what they wanted, it's not what they got.

She/they wanted me to edit this video footage, too, but I said no way. If they really want it edited, I'm sure they can find someone who will do it for them. Now she says she doesn't want it edited ... she just wants it on a DVD. That's great, too, but between the footage I shot and the footage someone else shot, there is 12 GB of information. That won't fit on a 4.7 GB DVD and I don't know anyone who has a blu ray burner.

Jul 16 14 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

ontherocks wrote:
getting bad wedding video is so easy even a wedding guest could do it. and they do. they all wave their giant iPads around.

i can see getting little clips to mix in with stills at animoto.

When I do my normal thing, this is what I do ... mostly stills and a few short video clips here and there for the important things (like vows, cutting the cake, etc). At this particular event, they in effect asked me to not bring my camera so I could use theirs.

Jul 16 14 04:33 pm Link