Forums > General Industry > "Agency Qualified Photographer"

Photographer

Peter Dunn

Denver, Colorado, US

I had a model recently tell me she was only looking to shoot TF with agency qualified photographers.

I have shot for several modeling agencies, and amazingly that phrase does not even come up on Google.  Are we talking a photographer employed by an agency or carrying some sort of credential?

I don't see the photogs for Vogue looking to do TF work on MM, but I may be wrong.

Jul 13 14 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Maybe its a nice way of saying something else

Jul 13 14 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dunn

Denver, Colorado, US

Garry k wrote:
Maybe its a nice way of saying something else

That was my guess too, if no one ever, anywhere has ever used that phrase before.

Jul 13 14 10:13 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

If she has an agency, she might mean the list of photographers that agency keeps?

Jul 13 14 10:18 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Peter Dunn wrote:
I had a model recently tell me she was only looking to shoot TF with agency qualified photographers.

I have shot for several modeling agencies, and amazingly that phrase does not even come up on Google.  Are we talking a photographer employed by an agency or carrying some sort of credential?

I don't see the photogs for Vogue looking to do TF work on MM, but I may be wrong.

WoW!! - "Agency Qualified Photographer" – we are all most impressed.

I bought a t-shirt at WalMart… so I am an “Qualified International Fashion Buyer”

Impressed? wink

Jul 13 14 11:28 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

JoJo wrote:
“Qualified International Fashion Buyer”

HA!

Jul 13 14 11:29 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Agency approved photographer

Agency qualified

Seems like the same thing... We all know what she meant.

Jul 13 14 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
Agency approved photographer

Agency qualified

Seems like the same thing... We all know what she meant.

agreed!

It's not that unusual...usually the agencies give an ok to the model if she wants to do some test

Jul 13 14 11:45 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

First clue, look at her port and then read her specs. Then if you can see that she is worthy of being an agency represented model she is worthy of asking. Many so called wanna be models who are totally clueless will post in their portfolios that they will only shoot with agency photographers.

Jul 13 14 11:52 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

When they tell me that, it usually means "someone better than you"!!:-)))

Jul 13 14 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Darryl Varner

Burlington, Iowa, US

When I started out (back in the stone age), an 'agency approved' photographer was simply somebody on the list of photographers a model could choose from for his/her test shots. I haven't shot for agencies for a number of years, but I assume the model probably heard the term somewhere and she's using it to 'screen' photographers. If she's under the impression she's going to get any trade sessions that way, she may be in for a rude awakening.

Jul 13 14 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

TouchofEleganceStudios wrote:
First clue, look at her port and then read her specs. Then if you can see that she is worthy of being an agency represented model she is worthy of asking. Many so called wanna be models who are totally clueless will post in their portfolios that they will only shoot with agency photographers.

Many photographers who put "agency approved" also should be vetted by their port as they can also be clueless.

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Jul 13 14 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Peter Dunn wrote:

"I had a model recently tell me she was only looking to shoot TF with agency qualified photographers."

what was the context of the conversation? did you approach her for a trade shoot, and she said, "sorry, i only shoot with agency-qualified photographers?"

if so, then it doesn't help to try to dissect the meaning of anything after "sorry" - the fact of the matter is, she's not interested.

Jul 13 14 12:29 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

dave phoenix wrote:
"I had a model recently tell me she was only looking to shoot TF with agency qualified photographers."

what was the context of the conversation? did you approach her for a trade shoot, and she said, "sorry, i only shoot with agency-qualified photographers?"

if so, then it doesn't help to try to dissect the meaning of anything after "sorry" - the fact of the matter is, she's not interested.

Pretty much

Butthurt photographer is butthurt.

This is like making fun of a woman who said no to dating you.

"She was ugly anyway, I didn't want to date her for real"

Jul 13 14 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Like the phrase  "Natural food"  -- has no legal meaning.

Probably looking for someone her agency reccomends.

Jul 13 14 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Michael Bots wrote:
Like the phrase  "Natural food"  -- has no legal meaning.

Probably looking for someone her agency reccomends.

i kind of doubt it. if she was only looking to work with photographers that her agency recommended, she would not have a modelmayhem page at all. the agency would just give her a list of photographers' websites and phone numbers, and tell her to start reviewing portfolios and making calls.

if she loved the photographer's portfolio, but he wasn't "officially approved by her agency" then do you think she would shoot with him? of course she would! she's just giving him a BS line so she doesn't look like a big meanie head who rejected him.

Jul 13 14 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Los Angeles, California, US

Honestly, "agency qualified" or the more common "agency approved" is something I've only heard on ModelMayhem (ie. why a google search probably didn't help much).  In all my years working with agencies in LA, never have I heard anyone use the term "agency qualified/approved".  In fact, when I was new I was talking to a friend who was a booker at one of the bigger agencies and she laughed and said "Never use that, it makes you sound like an idiot.  It's not like we give you a fucking certificate that says you're official."

Now, that being said: I put "agency approved" on my profile here because I find that the majority of models are expecting to see it when looking for a photographer to hire.  Wouldn't use that term when doing anything outside of MM though.  "When in Rome..." ya know? tongue

Jul 13 14 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

I used to get that line too, but not anymore.  I modeled my port to what they like and now they don't say no.

Maybe try that. See what they like and shoot it.

Nudes in your port don't help you.

Jul 13 14 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Carlo P Mk2

Someone told me that agency-approved and agency-qualified are self-proclaimed titles or credentials.

Probably one of those hip things like putting words like awesome, rockstar, superstar in resumes/job titles...some people even put flossing habits.

Aigoo

But to each their own.

Jul 15 14 10:24 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

T-D-L wrote:
Honestly, "agency qualified" or the more common "agency approved" is something I've only heard on ModelMayhem (ie. why a google search probably didn't help much).  In all my years working with agencies in LA, never have I heard anyone use the term "agency qualified/approved".  In fact, when I was new I was talking to a friend who was a booker at one of the bigger agencies and she laughed and said "Never use that, it makes you sound like an idiot.  It's not like we give you a fucking certificate that says you're official."

Now, that being said: I put "agency approved" on my profile here because I find that the majority of models are expecting to see it when looking for a photographer to hire.  Wouldn't use that term when doing anything outside of MM though.  "When in Rome..." ya know? tongue

Yep - because the distinction only has relevance in the Internet (non-agency) world.
If one's working with agencies on the street, one's working with agencies - there the term's meaningless. But it has value and significance in this MM world because it means one's (and their work) is vetted to some degree by those actually functioning at that level.

Jul 19 14 01:14 pm Link