Forums > General Industry > Local model dies at 21. :(

Photographer

NovoCain

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

Suzie Morettin of Spruce Grove Alberta, Canada died last friday from pneumonia. She was only 21 years old.

https://www.suziemorettin.com/02%5FHeadshots/IMG_2489_FINAL.jpg

I had the pleasure of talking with her on nexopia a few times.. Unfortunately, we never were able to connect for a shoot, as she was almost 2 hours away, and had opposite schedules. A real loss to the photography community, that's for sure. My condolences to family and friends.

Her website: http://www.suziemorettin.com

Press:  http://edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/20 … 8-sun.html

Nov 23 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

photiesto wrote:
Suzie Morettin of Spruce Grove Alberta, Canada died last friday from pneumonia. She was only 21 years old.

https://www.suziemorettin.com/02%5FHeadshots/IMG_2489_FINAL.jpg

I had the pleasure of talking with her on nexopia a few times.. Unfortunately, we never were able to connect for a shoot, as she was almost 2 hours away, and had opposite schedules. A real loss to the photography community, that's for sure. My condolences to family and friends.

Her website: http://www.suziemorettin.com

From pneumonia??   I didn't think anyone died from that anymore.  Beautiful girl, sad for the family.  Makes me think we should work harder at shooting with some we want to shoot with.  Saturday I am meeting a girl 3 hours away 1/2 way between.  We have been trying to shoot for several months. 

My sympathy to the family as well, especially during the holidays.

Nov 23 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

BlueCheckMafia

White Plains, New York, US

That is terrible.  It is hard to lose anyone but to lose someone so young is shocking and particularly hard to take.  My deepest condolescences to the family.

As for pneumonia it is still very much a big killer of people. Over 60,000 Americans die each year from Pneumonia and at least 3 million plus worldwide.

Nov 23 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

RIP Suzie. . .

Nov 23 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Doug Jantz wrote:

From pneumonia??   I didn't think anyone died from that anymore.  Beautiful girl, sad for the family.  Makes me think we should work harder at shooting with some we want to shoot with.  Saturday I am meeting a girl 3 hours away 1/2 way between.  We have been trying to shoot for several months. 

My sympathy to the family as well, especially during the holidays.

It happens sometimes.  The creator of the Muppets also died of pneumonia.

Nov 23 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

It is sad to see someone so full of life pass so young.  My condolences to the family!

Nov 23 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

photiesto wrote:

So sad.

I've been in the hospital three times in the last five years with pneumonia. It's awful.

RIP Susie.

Nov 23 06 09:40 pm Link

Model

aon duine

Doug Jantz wrote:
From pneumonia??   I didn't think anyone died from that anymore.

People tend to die from pneumonia when it is misdiagnosed. And it often gets misdiagnosed as bronchitis.

I learned a lot about bronchitis and pneumonia because I had bronchitis a few years ago and did a lot of research.

The interesting thing that I never knew was that bronchitis and pneumonia can be contagious or not, depending upon the cause. Basically, the cilia in your lungs stops working and stops cleaning your lungs properly, hence they fill with liquid and you can't stop coughing.

Therefore, bronchitis can be caused by physical damage to the cilia - such as from cigarettes smoke or even breathing really cold air which will freeze your lungs. These types of bronchitis are obviously not contagious. But, it can also be caused by a cold or a flu bacterial infection. Those types of bronchitis can be contagious.

My point is - if you or anyone you know gets a bad cough that won't go away, get some medical attention. Bronchitis is horribly uncomfortable and miserable to endure, but it won't kill you. However, if it develops into pneumonia, you could die. And coughing to death doesn't sound like a pleasant way to go...

Nov 24 06 12:25 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

- if you or anyone you know gets a bad cough that won't go away, get some medical attention. Get it.
Bronchitis is horribly uncomfortable and miserable to endure, it won't kill you, but if it DOES develop into pneumonia, you could die.
And coughing to death doesn't sound like a pleasant way to go...

i second that!

and am sad to see a beautiful girl pass on so fast

Blessings to her loved ones at such a hard time
xox

Nov 24 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

*sigh*  So young...

It didn't mention what kind of pneumonia it was.  I almost died of fungus-induced pneumonia once, it affected 3/4 of my lungs and took me half a year to recover.  Those who have lived in the Central Valley (of California) knows what I'm talking about.

Nov 24 06 12:47 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

That's really scary, Poor girl. She was so beautiful and still had so much to offer. What an absolute waste.

Nov 24 06 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Kelly Kooper wrote:
That's really scary, Poor girl. She was so beautiful and still had so much to offer. What an absolute waste.

Nov 24 06 06:12 am Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

she was a beautiful young woman, very sad.

i was in the hospital this past week diagnosed with pneumonia.  i was under the weather last weekend and thought it was the flu and then within a day my chest felt like it was hit with a sledge-hammer. 

i hadn't been feeling well the previous two-weeks but i was blaming that on pouring out a lot of work and the stress that comes with it.  i thought it was just catching up with me.  what i discovered is pneumonia is kind of a "creeper" sort of illness that just continues to manifest itself, then bam it hits damn hard.  at least that's what it did to me. 

i didn't even think of pneumonia, i thought i was having a heart attack.  the first thing er did was hook me up to an ekg and my heart seemed to be just fine,  my thoughts then went to the possibility of lung cancer.  i went through that last year with my brother and i thought it was the end for me too.  they came back with the x-rays and said it was pneumonia and even though as painful and sick as i was i felt a sense of relief though not entirely out of the woods.

i've been on some heavy-duty antibiotics for the past three days now and only mildly feel better.  it is one tough illness, something i've never experienced.  it does very much feel like the flu with fever, loss of appetite and some aches, but the major difference is a high degree of pain.  extreme pain unlike just a normal flu. 

so here's the deal; if you feel like you have the flu and are having chest pains get to the hospital.  the illness can't be battled without medicine, it won't go away on its own.

so sad.  i know what she and her family were going through and it is the polar opposite of the beauty she had.  and she was damn beautiful. 

--face reality

Nov 24 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

So sad, so young to die sad  she had great potential

My thoughts go out to her family

RIP

Nov 24 06 10:44 am Link

Model

aon duine

FaceReality wrote:
the illness can't be battled without medicine, it won't go away on its own.

That is true if it is caused by a bacterial infection, yes, you need medicine and antibiotics.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, treatment depends upon the cause of the pneumonia. If it is caused by a chemical irritation or cold air or the like, then antibiotics won't help and it will go away on its own with proper care.

So, if you ever suspect you have pneumonia, make sure you also figure out the CAUSE of it also. If the cause and type of pneumonia are misdiagnosed, you could end up being given the wrong treatment.

Nov 24 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Very sad.. what really gets me is that the media spends so much time generating panic over things that have little to no body count- Asian Bird Flu, SARS, West Nile.. yet things like malaria and pneumonia- which have killed millions of people, and continue to- are taken for granted.

Nov 24 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

What a terrible shame.
I never had the opportunity to meet or work with Suzie, but she was a beautiful young lady, and from what I have heard, a real sweetheart.
It's been a tough year for tragic model losses in the Edmonton area. sad

Nov 24 06 11:01 am Link

Model

aon duine

Miles Chandler wrote:
Very sad.. what really gets me is that the media spends so much time generating panic over things that have little to no body count- Asian Bird Flu, SARS, West Nile.. yet things like malaria and pneumonia- which have killed millions of people, and continue to- are taken for granted.

Very true. If I recall my statistics correctly, SARS has only killed about 800 people to date, worldwide.

Pneumonia continues to kill over 60,000 people PER YEAR in the United States alone.

Yet, the stupid media acts like SARS is some huge danger to people. Freakin' idiots.

Nov 24 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

beautifull or NOT..sad very sad..sad

Nov 24 06 06:40 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

Eric Zoolander wrote:

People tend to die from pneumonia when it is misdiagnosed. And it often gets misdiagnosed as bronchitis.

I learned a lot about bronchitis and pneumonia because I had bronchitis a few years ago and did a lot of research.

The interesting thing that I never knew was that bronchitis and pneumonia can be contagious or not, depending upon the cause. Basically, the cilia in your lungs stops working and stops cleaning your lungs properly, hence they fill with liquid and you can't stop coughing.

Therefore, bronchitis can be caused by physical damage to the cilia - such as from cigarettes smoke or even breathing really cold air which will freeze your lungs. These types of bronchitis are obviously not contagious. But, it can also be caused by a cold or a flu bacterial infection. Those types of bronchitis can be contagious.

My point is - if you or anyone you know gets a bad cough that won't go away, get some medical attention. Bronchitis is horribly uncomfortable and miserable to endure, but it won't kill you. However, if it develops into pneumonia, you could die. And coughing to death doesn't sound like a pleasant way to go...

One of my best friends died of double pneumonia. The hospital diagnosed it as single strain ... lost a fabulous lady that way.

N.

Nov 28 06 09:58 pm Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

My condolences go out to her family. Truly sad! RIP

Nov 28 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

So sad indeed... sad

Nov 28 06 10:06 pm Link

Model

Anna Keith

San Antonio, Texas, US

keldar wrote:
That is terrible.  It is hard to lose anyone but to lose someone so young is shocking and particularly hard to take.  My deepest condolescences to the family.

As for pneumonia it is still very much a big killer of people. Over 60,000 Americans die each year from Pneumonia and at least 3 million plus worldwide.

Ohhhhh man... don't tell me that - I just got a call from the hospital saying my "stomach virus with severe chest pain" might have been klebsiella bacteria causing a case of pneumonia. Klebsiella pneumonia doesn't resolve itself, and it basically eats your lungs. I'm going back later this week (as soon as the military hospital can fit me in, I'm waiting on a call-back) to run more tests to make sure it isn't klebsiella.

Nov 28 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Anna Jo wrote:
Klebsiella pneumonia doesn't resolve itself, and it basically eats your lungs. I'm going back later this week (as soon as the military hospital can fit me in, I'm waiting on a call-back) to run more tests to make sure it isn't klebsiella.

I just did some research for you.

Looks like Klebsiella pneumonia is pretty nasty and difficult to eliminate, but it is treatable. So, don't stress too much. Even if you have it, the thing can be stopped. Hang in there, kiddo.

Nov 28 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

Poor kid.  Taken at such a young age.  Rest In Peace Suzie.  My thoughts go out to her family and friends.

sad

Nov 28 06 10:57 pm Link

Model

Anna Keith

San Antonio, Texas, US

E|||B wrote:

I just did some research for you.

Looks like Klebsiella pneumonia is pretty nasty and difficult to eliminate, but it is treatable. So, don't stress too much. Even if you have it, the thing can be stopped. Hang in there, kiddo.

Ohh, thanks... the nurse was probably trying to scare me into calling the general practicioner. This thread just scared me even more.  smile

Nov 28 06 11:42 pm Link