Forums > General Industry > Using Headshots for Avatar

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

Something that keeps jarring me when reading the forums is seeing a model's headshot as an avatar, reading the post and then realizing that a photographer was using her headshot as an avatar.

Particularly in The Pit do models find it uncomfortable to be associated with postings by someone who perhaps has no more connection than having hired you?

Nov 23 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Jake Schwartzberg Photo

San Clemente, California, US

agree completely

Nov 23 06 11:00 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

just because someone either hires me or colaberates with me does not mean I subscribe to their political beleifs..

Nov 23 06 11:02 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

yes i got a shock when i saw my head saying something!!

Nov 23 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Conchphotog

Bath, England, United Kingdom

I find it a bit strange too but how many photogs use an image of themselves as their avatar? By the way this is not my body!

Nov 23 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Vincent Knaus wrote:
I find it a bit strange too but how many photogs use an image of themselves as their avatar? By the way this is not my body!

Don't lie you sexy beast!

Nov 23 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

So, what would you rather have us use as our avatars?

Nov 23 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Ken B.

Abington, Pennsylvania, US

My thought is you'd rather not see my image. I'm promoting my work, not my face.

Of course, I do my best not to rattle the cage with images not intended for that purpose.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Ken

Nov 23 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

I don't think there's a problem here, provided everyone can read.  The word 'Photographer' gives the game away.  If the avatar of the pretty girl has the word 'Photographer' under the photograph then the chances are that the photographer isn't a pretty girl, but probably a grumpy old man.

Nov 23 06 11:39 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I find it confusing when the model and the photographer have the same image as their avatar. Then I don't notice the "model" or "photographer" tag below their image and I think I'm talking to the photographer but I'm really talking to the model. LOL

Nov 23 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

why don't you ask Tiana Hunter, who's image you're using as an avatar instead of an image of yourself.

Nov 23 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

Mark Reese Photography wrote:

I'm not sure that I suggested that you should use anything as an avatar.

Nov 23 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

Jessalyn wrote:
I find it confusing when the model and the photographer have the same image as their avatar. Then I don't notice the "model" or "photographer" tag below their image and I think I'm talking to the photographer but I'm really talking to the model. LOL

You wrapped words aroung it better than I did - this is exactly what I meant, headshots apparently make me infer things ...

Nov 23 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

Studio Spike wrote:
why don't you ask Tiana Hunter, who's image you're using as an avatar instead of an image of yourself.

No need to ask as she implicitly agrees with every syllable I utter.

P.S. I think that there are some folks familiar with the terms used in photography around here. You might inquire about the meaning of the term "headshot".

Nov 23 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Night Owl Photography

Atkinson, Illinois, US

Interesting topic.  Notice what my avatar is?  It's not an image, but a logo.  I have 1 image in my port that's of me, to let everyone see what I look like too.  I too find it annoying to look at an avatar and think it's a model, only to find that it's a photographer. 

But none of this matters, because I doubt this will change.  What else will the photographers use for an avatar otherwise?  Not everyone wants to have a logo like me.  I use my logo to help people remember me, and my company name.  Kinda like "brand recognition". 

So rather than venting about this, any ideas on how to change it?

Nov 26 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Dennis Veldman

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Nov 27 06 04:08 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Mark Reese Photography wrote:

Something that isn't a headshot.

Nov 27 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

For me the answer is easy. I want an avatar that is somewhat representative of my work, but not 18+ (as much of my work is). Since avatars are small, a full shot of a model, or a landscape (which I don't do anyway) is barely legible.

I want people to click on the avatar to see who shot it and what else is there, not because of what I say in a forum.

So I use a head shot that fills the avatar and is suitable for all audiences.

Nov 28 06 11:49 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
just because someone either hires me or colaberates with me does not mean I subscribe to their political beleifs..

Second.

Nov 28 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Deek

Blackwood, New Jersey, US

Have to agree. When I first joined here I used my own PR headshot as my avitar...and got almost no traffic. When I changed my avitar to attractive women, or at least, somewhat creative photography, people started checking me out more.
So, while it's somewhat disconcerting to see my name displayed under the portrait of an attractive woman....it works.
A side note....at one time you used to be able to set your avitar image separate from your portfolio images....now it appears that you avitar must be one of the images in your gallery....what's up with that?

Nov 28 06 12:04 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth G

Dothan, Alabama, US

RED Photographic wrote:
I don't think there's a problem here, provided everyone can read.  The word 'Photographer' gives the game away.  If the avatar of the pretty girl has the word 'Photographer' under the photograph then the chances are that the photographer isn't a pretty girl, but probably a grumpy old man.

LMAO. My thoughts exactly! Simple!

Nov 30 06 10:03 am Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Tom deL wrote:
Something that keeps jarring me when reading the forums is seeing a model's headshot as an avatar, reading the post and then realizing that a photographer was using her headshot as an avatar.

Particularly in The Pit do models find it uncomfortable to be associated with postings by someone who perhaps has no more connection than having hired you?

Because the headshot is a part of the photographer's port, I dont mind. Just cause a picture of ME is their avatar doesn't mean that they are my clone smile

Nov 30 06 10:08 am Link