Forums > General Industry > How Do You Teach Commercial Modeling?!

Photographer

Odins Eye

West Wendover, Nevada, US

I just got offered a job with a local modeling agency to teach their Preteen-Adult Commercial Modeling classes...and I have no idea how to teach this course! Any suggestions on what books I should grab, what should I tell them? I'm sure I could wing my way through 10 classes if need be, but I'd rather have something concrete in mind beforehand.

Nov 22 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

Nobody with any ideas?

Nov 22 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

And your concience will allow you to do this?

Nov 22 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

My conscience allows for a lot of things; It's not that I can't guide someone on how to do a commercial shot, but directing one person differs in a few ways from directing a class. I know have to cover the basics of body language, facial expressions, the "acting" angle...

Just looking for some way to put together something a little more directed so each class isn't a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants experience.

Nov 22 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Tell them to read http://www.newmodels.com/  then take the paycheck.  Make sure you send some royalty to TXphotog.

Honestly, Odin, you may have a lot of experience in some thing related to commercial modeling, I don't know.  But if you don't know what to teach as a teacher for a class to a point that you need to ask on an internet forum, you really shouldn't be teaching that class.

What part of commercial modeling have you involved yourself with?  Were you an art director?  Have you done any commercial shot?  Were you in any casting?  Have you been a commercial model?  Worked as a booker?  In an agency?

Nov 22 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

III, Thanks for the reply.

My experience with commercial modeling honestly comes from helping a few models I know who were interested in learning how to do what they needed to. I did a few shots for them, but nothing I've ever tried to sell.

In all honesty, I don't want the position, but right now I am without a day job, and this is what they are offering me until they have a photographer's position open.

As far as asking on an internet forum; it's just as good as asking in a group of other photographers in real life, except I can't see very many places where you can get as big of a group into one room without incurring massive costs.

Nov 22 06 07:56 pm Link

Model

Lee Frederic

Chicago, Illinois, US

Theres a book on OMP I just can't remember where to find it. Wait just got to OMP.com and it should be on that page somewhere...

Nov 22 06 08:19 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

It really is hard to teach modeling isn't it? It's something you learn from experience. I think you are right on about teaching them about the acting angle and I'd also show them how their facial expressions can affect the mood of the ad. Maybe for one day you could give them each a different product and have them come up with their own "ad" for it while you take photos of them. Tell them to think about how they want to showcase the product, how they feel about the product, and the desired overall mood for their ad (seductive, excited, peaceful, etc.), as well as what they could be physically doing in the ad (if it's for a razor they could be in the process of "shaving", or do some yoga/martial arts moves to advertise for a gym).
I hope this helps. good luck smile

Nov 22 06 08:56 pm Link

Model

Riki _ F

New York, New York, US

check out - How to become  a successful commercial model - by Aaron Marcus

Nov 22 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Odin's Eye wrote:
My experience with commercial modeling honestly comes from helping a few models I know who were interested in learning how to do what they needed to. I did a few shots for them, but nothing I've ever tried to sell.

Ok, so basically you have never done nor been involved with any commercial modeling besides taking portfolio images for a few models?  I don't mean to offend, just curious, what did you do to help these models and what did you teach them about commercial modeling other than taking a few pictures for them?

As far as asking on an internet forum; it's just as good as asking in a group of other photographers in real life, except I can't see very many places where you can get as big of a group into one room without incurring massive costs.

No, it isn't.  There are only a selected few on MM who could answer your question, and none of them is here.  And my guess is that when one of them comes in, it would get really interesting, very quickly.

What this thread has accomplished so far, I think, is to dissuade everyone on the internet from taking any Commercial Modeling classes in modeling schools...

I really think reading http://www.newmodels.com/ would help you the most, at this point.

Nov 22 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Odin's Eye wrote:
I just got offered a job with a local modeling agency to teach their Preteen-Adult Commercial Modeling classes...and I have no idea how to teach this course! Any suggestions on what books I should grab, what should I tell them? I'm sure I could wing my way through 10 classes if need be, but I'd rather have something concrete in mind beforehand.

All I can say is ... GOod thing you werent hired to do something important ie like being a surgeon or something ...

Nov 22 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Garry k wrote:
All I can say is ... GOod thing you werent hired to do something important ie like being a surgeon or something ...

And who would be more at fault, Odin for accepting the position or the hospital that hired him to be a surgeon?

I think you're all missing a big point here - a local agency is hiring someone with no practical experience what-so-bloody-ever (no offense, Odin) to teach a subject that should be a bread-and-butter course for these preteens through adults.

The local agency should be the one getting spack, not Odin.

Nov 22 06 11:26 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Moved to general because the topic of "modeling classees" is relevant.

Nov 22 06 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

If I understand the question you need to know how to teach, not what to teach. Is this correct?
How many students will be in the class?

Nov 22 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

The closest we have to anything like that at the agency I work for is our Talent Liason who's also a model.  She shows up to the portfolio shoots and gives tips  throughout the shoot on posing and expression and aspects of the business and how shoots usually run.  I'd assume that's the kind of stuff you want to get across in your classes.

Since you're coming in as a photographer without knowledge of the modelling end of things I think you're going to screw yourself and the talent if you're trying to approach it from the modelling angle.  The last thing you want to do is give them incorrect information.  I agree with the other posts that this isn't the ideal situation, but if it has to be you teaching the class, then at least approach it according to what YOU know best.  Fill them in on the business end of things and how a typical casting or shoot will be.  Then maybe focus on common posing problems that photographers always correct.

I.E. How to lift your face just enough off the hand to not get face wrinkles.  I've even worked with agency models who get confused when I tell them to do this and it wastes time to have to explain it.  Or how to fan out the fingers so that they look best from the camera and not like some mishapen claw.  I'm sure you can think of at least a dozen more little things if you set your mind to it for a bit.  Little tricks like that are still going to help them.  Maybe you could even set up a studio in the classroom to demonstrate what you're talking about.  Or you could work with them on posing and finding their best angles through shooting a series and then evaluating as a class.  It's never going to hurt a model to know her best angles and how she looks on camera from any given angle before going to a shoot.

Good luck making the best of this one.

Nov 22 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Surreal Eye Studio wrote:
And who would be more at fault, Odin for accepting the position or the hospital that hired him to be a surgeon?

I think you're all missing a big point here - a local agency is hiring someone with no practical experience what-so-bloody-ever (no offense, Odin) to teach a subject that should be a bread-and-butter course for these preteens through adults.

Really depends on what he presented as his credentials ....

Or maybe hes already hooked in with them as their go- to photog.....

Nov 22 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Surreal Eye Studio wrote:

That I agree, wholeheartedly.  Personally, I would decline the job if I am not qualified to do it.

Nov 23 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

It can be fun, but should have some preparation...
I do understand it, but probably too tired right now to think about it...

Nov 23 06 12:10 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Odin's Eye wrote:
I just got offered a job with a local modeling agency to teach their Preteen-Adult Commercial Modeling classes...and I have no idea how to teach this course!

Given your lack of direct experience in commercial modeling, I'd ask to interview some of the agency's more successful girls.  I would conduct these interviews before deciding on a syllabus.  I would also ask the most well spoken of these models to come as guest speakers during the course and have maybe one a week or however often you meet.

Nov 23 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

Odin's Eye wrote:
My conscience allows for a lot of things; .

That line really made my day,may I use it ?

Nov 23 06 01:23 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

(*scratches head*) so, uhm,..., are we to understand that a "school" has hired s.o. to teach a subject about he knows little or nothing? or only of which he has the most modest of experience? hmm.

F

Nov 23 06 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

The agency won't be, by any chance, be called something like Barbazon or Robert Powers?

And what is it that makes "commercial" modeling different from any other kind of modeling?

Nov 23 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

(*gasps in disbelief!*)

Nov 23 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

James Jackson wrote:

Given your lack of direct experience in commercial modeling, I'd ask to interview some of the agency's more successful girls.  I would conduct these interviews before deciding on a syllabus.  I would also ask the most well spoken of these models to come as guest speakers during the course and have maybe one a week or however often you meet.

This sounds like a danm good idea.

Nov 23 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

Got lots of good suggestions here(A few things I haven't even thought about, which makes me even happier).

It's The Mannequin Agency; they may be affiliated with someone else, I'm not certain at this point. Nor am I certain of the class size, I won't find that out until monday.

As I said before, I really don't want to take the position, but its the only thing I am being offered at the moment, and it's a choice of taking a position I am ill-qualified for, or not having a place to live next month; doesn't make the decision very hard.

My previous experience really comes in, as someone else has said, the photographers end of things; big chin=tip away, don't put your hands straight on, etc, etc. This is also how I was planning to approach the class, and as someone else noted its not WHAT to teach, but HOW to teach it. I am in no way, shape, or form qualified as a teacher.

As for the potential of having mis-represented myself: I submitted my standard resume; it has no information regarding teaching experience, or any experience with commercial modeling. It only says that I have been doing photography for 2 years, and somehow they decided that that qualifies me. I am going to raise serious objections with it on Monday if what they are expecting from me is much more than I am capable of giving. Other than that...*shrug*

Oh, and to whoever wants to use my conscience quote, go ahead: just give me credit for it:p

(Sidenote: 100th Post Break)

Nov 23 06 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Odin's Eye wrote:
I really don't want to take the position, but its the only thing I am being offered at the moment, and it's a choice of taking a position I am ill-qualified for, or not having a place to live next month; doesn't make the decision very hard

but, uh,..., you are looking for other employment, right? there are no doubt those here who are going to raise an ethical eyebrow at this situation & what, to many, it might mean in the modeling world ...

Odin's Eye wrote:
submitted my standard resume; it has no information regarding teaching experience, or any experience with commercial modeling. It only says that I have been doing photography for 2 years, and somehow they decided that that qualifies me

... so this might, some will argue, tell you something about your prospective employer. might. just might. then again, hmm,..., might not. up to you.

F

Nov 23 06 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

It tells me alot about my perspective employer, and yes I am still seeking other employment. Morality be damned when its a question of survival: If it was summer, not having a place to live is doable, but its winter, and I'm not that willing to live in the cold if I don't have to.

Nov 23 06 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This has been an interesting thread.  I certainly concur with many of the comments made so far, but I'd like to focus on two aspects of this that haven't been mentioned:

First this:

Odin's Eye wrote:
In all honesty, I don't want the position, but right now I am without a day job, and this is what they are offering me until they have a photographer's position open.

That suggests that, in addition to being a modeling school, they are a portfolio mill.

So you look a little further, and what you find is that they are in the same building (may be the same company) as the Albuquerque franchise of John Robert Powers, which is well known for this kind of stuff:  http://www.johnrobertpowers.net/Location.asp?Loc=4

https://www.txphotog.com/Posts/Mannequin.jpg

But here is the interesting part:  The SAG website lists them as a SAG franchised agency:  www.sag.org/sagWebApp/application?pagei … franchised

Mannequin Agency, The
2021 San Mateo Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110
Tel: 505-266-6823

From time to time people have made posts here and on other forums suggesting that models looking for an agency should use the SAG agency list as a source of good agencies.  I've always objected to that, and this is a prime example of why.

SAG, at best, requires that franchised agencies subscribe to a set of rules that protects SAG Actors on SAG acting jobs.  They turn a blind eye to abuses, ripoffs or scams that the agency may be running against models or anyone else who isn't involved, at that very moment, with a SAG production.

SAG is not a guarantee, nor even a strong indicator, of a good model agency.

Nov 23 06 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's so obvious, and so tempting, to get into the ethical issues . . . .

The OP clearly recognizes the issues, and has made a choice on what to do to deal with them.  It may be something of a copout, since things like this are abusive from first principles.  However, there are some facts to bear in mind:

1.  This modeling school is going to offer a class on commercial modeling no matter what he does.

2.  Somebody is going to teach the thing.

3.  The evidence suggests that whoever teaches it won't be qualified to teach it (even disregarding the fact that it shouldn't be taught).

4.  Perhaps we can make a bad situation less bad, if not good, by helping.  Holding our collective noses at the same time is probably good, too.

That said:

Odin's Eye wrote:
Any suggestions on what books I should grab, what should I tell them?

1.  Here’s Looking At You (An Actor’s Guide to Commercial Print), Scott Powers, Publisher:  Heinemann Press, 1997.  An instructional guide from the point of view of an actor who supplements his income with commercial print work, and explains in detail how to be successful making the crossover.  Mr. Powers is also a casting director and operator of commercial print and acting seminars in New York City.  Information available at www.scottpowers.com.

2.  How to Become A Successful Commercial Model, Aaron Marcus, Publisher:  Marcus Insitute of Commercial Modeling, 2003.  A hands-on guide to being a commercial model from a man who has done over 1,000 commercial jobs.  An excellent how-to resource from a model’s perspective.  Mr. Marcus continues to act and model, and makes numerous presentations in modeling conventions, model searches and seminars nationwide.  Information available from www.howtomodel.com

Of the two I think Aaron's is the better.

Nov 23 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

Thanks TX...as far as the ethics...*shudder*...look above for what my conscience allows.

Nov 23 06 08:27 am Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

As an example, theatre is very different from commercials and movies.  Theatre tends to be overly dramatic for emphasis.  There tends to be a lot of stage make-up involved, too.  Commercials and movies they can at least see your face up close, so the need for tons of Ben Nye isn't there.  You also don't need to shout as much, unless you're screaming at someone anyway.

Runway and commercial work would be very different, too.  Try touching up on that.  With runway, the models tend to be 5'9.  With commercial print, height isn't as important.  I'm sure you'd see a bigger girl (not plus-size) doing a commercial print ad, than you would see her doing runway.  Touch up on the basics of each job.  You're much more likely to see an old man in a print ad advertising an inhaler, than an old man on the runway (I would assume that won't happen).

Nov 23 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

mary duprie

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Perfect

This is my specialty

I have just what you need.....my specialty is teaching models how to model....i shoot for all the local land based agencies, i give workshops to photographers to teach them my techniques.

I can teach a model in 20 minutes how to give great professional results.

Everytime i get a model i have to start from scratch, so i came out with 2 hours of model instruction on DVD.

It was just launched at the New York Expo and is now available.

Just go to  www.photographingmodels.com  it's called Simply Modeling

the dvd is 100% instructional and you and your students can see it versus reading about it.

No books needed!

mary

Nov 23 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mary, I don't know what is on your CD, so perhaps this is all covered.  But in my experience in dealing with commercial models, here is what I wanted them to know:

1.  What is a go-see, and what happens at one?

2.  What is a "client", a "stylist", a "casting director" and what role do they play?

3.  What is a voucher, what does it do for me, and what happens if I screw it up?

4.  When someone on set, or at a casting, tries to negotiate with me about terms of the job, what do I do?

5.  What is meant by POS and collateral?

6.  What is a "buyout"?

7.  How will I get paid, and how long does it take?

8.  What is a "type"?

Stuff like that.  I would hope your CD would teach those kinds of things, since that's what commercial models need to know.  If they get out on a casting or a job without knowing them, they could be in trouble.

Teaching them how to pose is no big deal.  The assignment photographer can take care of that if they don't know - and frequently does.

Nov 23 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Good posts, but maybe we also should refer the models that ask about agencies that ask you to "take classes" to this thread?

Nov 23 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

Who wants to laugh harder than the hilarity of this thread already?

Not only was I contacted today(Thanksgiving, someone actually went to work?!), but I was told that:
1) They don't know the class size yet
and
2) I'm just being asked to teach them how to pose...

Apparently, I'm qualified since I understand posing, so that's what I'm supposed to teach over 10 weeks...

Nov 23 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This ought to be fun.

Commercial modeling is dominated by "real people doing real things".  "Posing" might mean throwing a football, speaking among a group of friends, working on a computer or any of thousands of other things.  What it generally does NOT mean is "posing".

Yup, thanks for the laugh.

Nov 23 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

Yeah, its a bloody riot..."Now brush your teeth...good!"

I don't know if my conscience allows for that much stupidity.

Nov 23 06 06:36 pm Link

Model

OC Girl

Costa Mesa, California, US

I almost taught for a modeling school, but turned it down due to availability and the "school" aspect.  Ten weeks is a long time.  I like TX's suggestion of going over the business side of things.  However, if that's not what they want, so be it.  (Probably because they don't want models catching on to their shady practices.)  Anyway, you have a few different options.

1) You could break each week into segments, such as acting, followed by fashial expressions, follwed by angles, followed by poses and so on.  If there is a room with a mirror, that is good because they can see themselves.  It's really about seeing themselves and learning to be comfortable and not stiff.

2) A second option is to spend a class going over basic face and body movements, then the remaining weeks could have a theme.  Week two could be sports, week three could be school/office, week four could be commercial fashion, etc.  Props are always useful.

Remember to have them do things age appropriate.  A 5-year-old can get away with things that a 15-year-old can't.  A 12-year-old should not act sexy.  Also, pre-teens tend to get embarassed.  More than likely, they just want to look pretty or sexy.  They're afraid to get into character.  You'll have to help them overcome this.

It really does seem odd to have 10 weeks of exclusive posing.  You'd think the business side would be covered, or make-up technique, or selecting photos, or test shoots.  Oh well, who am I to say anything.  Sorry for the long response. Hopefully you got a little something out of it.

Nov 23 06 09:02 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:
But in my experience in dealing with commercial models, here is what I wanted them to know:

1.  What is a go-see, and what happens at one?

2.  What is a "client", a "stylist", a "casting director" and what role do they play?

3.  What is a voucher, what does it do for me, and what happens if I screw it up?

4.  When someone on set, or at a casting, tries to negotiate with me about terms of the job, what do I do?

5.  What is meant by POS and collateral?

6.  What is a "buyout"?

7.  How will I get paid, and how long does it take?

8.  What is a "type"?

I think we should have volunteers answering a question or two and have this topic as a "sticky" FAQ in General Mayhem

Nov 23 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

*Not volunteering to answer anything right now* lol

Nov 24 06 01:06 am Link