Forums > General Industry > Photogs with candid photos of celebrities.....

Model

Alex Davenport

Spokane, Missouri, US

Is it just me or are the rest of you as unimpressed with this type of photo in a photog's port as I am::

A candid photo of a celebrity. Not a planned out photo shoot with a star- that's great. But just a random, unedited photo of a celebrity mixed in with the photographer's work.

It doesn't show that you take great pictures or that you have high-profile clients. It says "Hey! I saw this famous person and I took their picture! Aren't I cool?"

To me, it just distracts from the photog's beautiful work and is kind of like the visual equivalent of name-dropping.

Nov 21 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I agree.

Nov 21 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have one I took of Avril Lavigne, but it's still up for debate whether she's actually a celebrity or not.

And no, I don't have it in my port.

Nov 21 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm guilty as charged, but gotta good reason!

I've come to terms with the fact that there's no money to be made in glamour photography.  I mean, a photographer has to compete with every TFP monkey in existance.

The typical 'internet model' finds it nearly impossible to find money to hire a photographer, but somehow manages to pay $50 for a manicure every couple of weeks, and another 80 bucks or so for a new hairstyle at the same time.

So, in order to make money I've gotten into event photography.  My first stint as an event photographer paid me more than a month of doing 9-5 at the office.  The M.C. was a well known celebrity, and other particpants were quasi-celebrities... so they were bound to be in some of the photos.

After that stint, I got others... and at least in the Las Vegas area, celebrities attend these events.  One event that I shot was a S.A.G. sanctioned event honoring a friend of mine that runs a talent agency.  It's hard NOT to photograph a celebrity at that kind of event.

Because event photography usually gets me good $$$, I usually include a few pictures in my portfolio.  Not because they're celebrities, but just to show prospective clients that I have experience shooting events.

As a matter of fact, of all the photo's that I shot within the past year, a MAJORITY of them involved celebrities at event, yet the most I ever displayed in a portfolio were 2 or 3 photos.

Nov 21 06 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I shot Mr. Sulu at the 2006 Gay Games in Chicago this summer. Not in my port.

Nov 21 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

There is some guy out of NY who does this a lot.. he camps outside the shows and tries to get the models as they come out and then he tries to pass that as if he has the contacts to shoot those girls. Loser !

Nov 22 06 12:09 am Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

Grrr.

What's worse: people with screen captures from music videos in their ports.  I can think of 3.

Nov 22 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Laura Tillinghast Photo

San Francisco, California, US

I have a candid shot of Jose Feliciano after a shoot we did. I would never dream of posting it anywhere. Somehow that seems like a violation. (I do realize that Jose is only a celebrity to my grandmother but still)

Nov 22 06 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Alex Davenport wrote:
Is it just me or are the rest of you as unimpressed with this type of photo in a photog's port as I am::

A candid photo of a celebrity. Not a planned out photo shoot with a star- that's great. But just a random, unedited photo of a celebrity mixed in with the photographer's work.

It doesn't show that you take great pictures or that you have high-profile clients. It says "Hey! I saw this famous person and I took their picture! Aren't I cool?"

To me, it just distracts from the photog's beautiful work and is kind of like the visual equivalent of name-dropping.

Depends on the Celeb , depends on the context ,depends on what type of photog you are

ie lets say your an event photog , and say you get a group shot of various  celebs that one would not nornally assoiciate as haaving anything in common ...I think that coudl be interesting

Nov 22 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I don't see anything wrong with posting event photos if you say you are an event photographer.  People can evaluate it for what it is.

But there is at least one MM photographer who posts a lot of celebrity event shots and uses them to claim that he is a "celebrity photographer" who implies that he is hired by the celebs.  That, in my view, is misleading and wrong.

Nov 22 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

GRHorn

New York, New York, US

Alex Davenport wrote:

Alex, depends on how the photo is presented, I have a photo of Bebe Neuwirth at Fashion Week, I asked her if I could shoot her pic.  She graciously said yes and we talked for about five minutes since I have seen all her shows on Broadway, and my wife loves her.  Like I said it is how the photographer presents the shot that is important, that is just my opinion.

Nov 24 06 07:37 am Link

Photographer

GRHorn

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with posting event photos if you say you are an event photographer.  People can evaluate it for what it is.

But there is at least one MM photographer who posts a lot of celebrity event shots and uses them to claim that he is a "celebrity photographer" who implies that he is hired by the celebs.  That, in my view, is misleading and wrong.

Tx, there are more than one.

Nov 24 06 07:38 am Link

Model

Innamorata

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
I have one I took of Avril Lavigne, but it's still up for debate whether she's actually a celebrity or not.

And no, I don't have it in my port.

Grr.

Nov 24 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:
Grrr.

What's worse: people with screen captures from music videos in their ports.  I can think of 3.

Ewww, yuk to that!

Nov 24 06 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

I have a shot of Wendie Malick (played Nina Van Horn in Just Shoot Me). Got it while shooting up on the boardwalk in Venice Beach. Turned out kinda blurry, so I wouldn't post it anyway.

Nov 24 06 07:47 am Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:
Grrr.

Are these models who want to be in more music videos?  If so, I don't see the problem.

Nov 24 06 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Interesting post.

On my website are photos of numerous celebreties, why? I have found that shooting famous people give me the shooter instant credibility in the public's eye.

Like one of the replies before mine, event photography is where a greater % of my studio money is made. Folks, clients want to see that you first have the ability to capture a famous person and second the accessability to get close enough to them.

My website photo of then Vice-President of the USA, Al Gore, required secret service clearance, by far my toughest to get. Yet the one of Muhammed Ali, was just a matter of dumb luck, being in the right place at the right time...with my camera.

Oliver Cole

Nov 24 06 07:51 am Link