Forums > General Industry > For Photogs and Models - Picking the keepers..

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

This one's for models and photogs and specifically concerns trade/tfp situations since, if it's a paid shoot.. The answer is given: The client is always right..

But when there technically ISN'T a client, who should get to choose which pictures get kept and used from a particular shoot?  And why?

(Rates the popcorn-potentometer at about a 5 for this one.)

Nov 21 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

eric krumm

Athens, Georgia, US

the photog, because the model is not the photog.  smile

Nov 21 06 01:46 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I generally let the photographer pick...I choose them for their vision so I trust them to edit what best works.

Nov 21 06 01:57 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Susi wrote:
I generally let the photographer pick...I choose them for their vision so I trust them to edit what best works.

What she said.

Occasionally, I've had photographers interested in my input, and occasionally, I've found a gem they didn't see.  But that's rare.  I work with people whose vision and skill and experience I totally trust, and am grateful for whatever awesomeness they come up with.

Nov 21 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

I choose. Even if it is a paid assignment. Either way they want me for *my* vision of what is good and my name is going to be attached to it in one way or another so I want what *I* see as best out there.

Nov 21 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

How you edit ("pick") is as much a part of your vision and style as how you light, compose, direct, conceptualize, print (or photoshop) and conceptualize.

Nov 21 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Pick?  What's to pick from?

I have it on good authority (read any of the "Photographers don't need no steenkin' Photoshop" threads) that good photographers always take care to get it right before pushing the shutter button.  So all the pictures are wonderful.

Nov 21 06 02:16 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:

I have it on good authority (read any of the "Photographers don't need no steenkin' Photoshop" threads) that good photographers always take care to get it right before pushing the shutter button.  So all the pictures are wonderful.

Hehehehe...

Nov 21 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

TXPhotog wrote:

You're an evil man.

Nov 21 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Shyly wrote:

What she said.

Occasionally, I've had photographers interested in my input, and occasionally, I've found a gem they didn't see.  But that's rare.  I work with people whose vision and skill and experience I totally trust, and am grateful for whatever awesomeness they come up with.

Hey!

I sometimes work under the assumption that a model knows her or his particular market better than I do.  And I know my market better than she or he does.  Plus I'm lazy, so I don't want to have to pick the shots that make me look best AND the shots that make the model look best.

Nov 21 06 02:32 pm Link